T Nation

Adding Calories to Paleo Diet

Hey every one. Ok so I am a poliquin biosignature certified. I follow a paleo diet mostly with some tubers and workout nutrition. I typically eat 4 meals a day with post workout shake. Each meal prob. Consist of 30 g fat, 40g protein, and veggies. I am struggling to get enough calories in order to elicit growth. I’m not sure how to fit in more cals.

In each meal. Should I just up the fat, or possibly increase the amount of paleo style carbs such as tubers, veggies, fruit and quinoa on training days?

Follow a different diet.

Add a meal or two.

Add calories (your body will tell you which kind is better for you) every meal.

Why don’t you want to add some protein and fat?

My protein is up to par. It’s not that I do not want to add fat, it’s just tough to get more in.

[quote]Zyounce95 wrote:
My protein is up to par. It’s not that I do not want to add fat, it’s just tough to get more in.[/quote]

Open cupboard.

Take bottle of EVOO and shot glass.

Shoot one ounce.

Explain what is difficult.

Instead of one potato, add another.
Instead of 5 ounces of meat, do 6, 7, 8… Who cares if you are “on par”.
Instead of 1 cup of veg, add another cup.
Apple and peanut butter as snack.
etc, etc etc.
Start small to get your body used to the extra calories, keep adding until satisfied with results.

I would suggest fattier cuts of meat before shooting oil, but that’s just me. Though, it may take more to get the same amount of protein.

[quote]Zyounce95 wrote:
Ok so I am a poliquin biosignature certified. I’m not sure how to fit in more cals.

Ok so i am a math teacher. I’m not sure how to add.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I would suggest fattier cuts of meat before shooting oil, but that’s just me. Though, it may take more to get the same amount of protein.[/quote]

This.

Butcher man 7 do you even know what poliquin is or who founded it. Not trying to be defensive just asking. The reason I put that is because with biosig. You can identify which hormones in the body are causing your main issues.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I would suggest fattier cuts of meat before shooting oil, but that’s just me. Though, it may take more to get the same amount of protein.[/quote]

I would suggest both.

It was also a picture on how difficult it is to add calories…

[quote]Zyounce95 wrote:
Butcher man 7 do you even know what poliquin is or who founded it. Not trying to be defensive just asking. The reason I put that is because with biosig. You can identify which hormones in the body are causing your main issues.[/quote]

Yes, as a matter of fact, i do know “what poliquin is” and i do know who Charles Poliquin is.

I have had my own biosignature performed 2 years ago and i have worked with 2 biosig practioners here in Rhode Island, one a level 2 and one a level 1.

I have also had the opportunity to visit Poliquin world headquarters here in Rhode Island on several occasions. It is practically in my back yard.

So, as for being biosig certified yourself, I just found it very peculiar that you’d be asking such an elementary question as to how to fit more calories in.

Butcher man 7 I am asking because I am very precise with any type of change. It just how I am wired. I just thought I would get some opinions from other creditable sources . I am glad you have the opportunity to work with such coaches. I actually just got back from poliquin headquarters. Do you have any good suggestions that you can add. Keep in mind 4 meals daily fits me well and does not upset ti tract. Appreciate your thoughts.

[quote]Zyounce95 wrote:
Butcher man 7 I am asking because I am very precise with any type of change. It just how I am wired. I just thought I would get some opinions from other creditable sources . I am glad you have the opportunity to work with such coaches. I actually just got back from poliquin headquarters. Do you have any good suggestions that you can add. Keep in mind 4 meals daily fits me well and does not upset ti tract. Appreciate your thoughts. [/quote]

As a Poliquin man, i’m sure your familiar with the meat and nut breakfast.

You could, quite simply, add either 1/4 cup nuts or 2 tablespoons nut butter to each meal. Each option is roughly 200 calories approximately with very little volume.

If you don’t want to go this high with fat then just increase your protein intake as other posters have suggested.

At 19 years of age, 5’11" and 168 lbs, i really don’t feel you have to be so “precise” in your approach.

Live and learn a little but don’t drink the kool aid. You have plenty of time.

Very true! I appreciate your insight due to you have experience with top notch coaches. I will increase the amount of nuts with meat at breakfast as well as cook meat in coconut oil or organic grass fed butter like usual. Thank you.