T Nation

Adding Calories to My Diet

Ok, so Im at the end of my cutting and at the end of my maintence time…and its time to add some calories to my diet in order to gain some size, but no fat. I’m nice and lean and would like to keep it that way. But I have a few questions.

1.) I’d like to hear some suggestions on how to add 250 calories into my diet. Right now my breakfast is big, and my chicken intake is large; so I won’t be adding to them.

2.) I’m thinking of taking a shake at some point, in the middle of the night, or in the EARLY early morning; I get up twice a nice typically to pee…so why not. My question here is…which one is more of a benefit?

3.) What are you people using to estimate your ‘suggested’ caloric intake? I’ve been using the BW*15 formula (adjusted for my activity level of course); and just would like to see what others are utlitzing.

Thanks!

BW * 20 is a rough estimate for building muscle.

2 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter (250 calories) with 2-3 stalks of celery.

You can also make a drink with 250 calories and put it in a thermos and just sip it throughout the day.

How evenly spaced are your meals? Try to fit some dried fruit in between meals during the busiest part of your day.

Pumpkin seeds, apples

are you taking Surge?

yep im taking Surge, creatine, Flameout, fiber and finishing a multi before getting more Superfood.

the meals are evenly spaced at 6:30, 9, 12, 2, 4:30, 6:30, 8:00 (i try not to go more then 3hrs w/o eating)

foods: eggs, oatmeal, apple, protien bar, salad, shake, chicken, turkey meatballs, burger (w/o bun), turkey bacon, nuts.

I try and eat all my carbs (of which there is minimal) before noon; and have more fats at night.

add an extra post workout drink or meal with carbs in it. like after your normal Surge, wait half an hour to an hour and then have a tall glass of milk with whatever protein in it. only works on workout days though

1. I’d add a peri-workout shake. As Shugs (and many others, including myself) has shown, it won’t be a problem for fat deposits.

2. Depends on what you eat at 8. I’m no expert, but if you’re eating a slower released protein (ie casein shake or cottage cheese) at 8, then I’d eat in the early morning rather than in middle of night. If its a different source of protein, I’d eat a slower released protein in the middle of the night.

3)I’ve always used Berardi’s Massive eating formula. It seems to be accurate and I’ve been able to keep my weight stable (within a +/- 2lb range) when injured and not exercising.

[quote]Donnay wrote:
Pumpkin seeds, apples[/quote]

I think the pumpkin seeds are a good idea. I’ve started eating them for the magnesium.