Adding Bands to my Workout

I am going to look to order and use bands in my workout to do some speed lifting. Looking on the site I saw that Dave Tate recommends one kind of band.

Looking at the bands I am confused a bit on which to use and how to incorporate that into my workouts.

For example: I bench about 290 1rm. According to most speed workout recommendations I am seeing a 8x3 workout using roughly 50% of my max so around 145lbs. Does this weight include the resistance of the band in it? From what I understand “weight” of the band tension varies as you move up. How do you apply this to your bench?

Also in terms of which band to use, I am seeing that there are mini bands as well as light bands. Any suggestion from people who use them on what somebody like me would want? I figure I wouldnt go above using the Light band at least to start with, but should i just use the mini or super mini band initially?

Any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated. If there is anything else I didnt mention that you can add is great.

I’d recommend posting this in Strength Sports, you’ll get more responses.

My experience with bands is limited but I think the best choice is the light bands. For instructions go to the westside barbell side and read Louie Simmons’ articles about bands, they go in good detail

Read the Louie Simmons articles to familiarize how and why to impliment bands. As for speed work, you can use straight bar weight. The only difference is you’ll use a higher percentage of your max, like between 60-70%.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Read the Louie Simmons articles to familiarize how and why to impliment bands. As for speed work, you can use straight bar weight. The only difference is you’ll use a higher percentage of your max, like between 60-70%.[/quote]

To go along with that, the stronger you are, the lower percentage you should use. You will also use more bar weight if you are an equipped lifter. A raw lifter with a sub 300 bench probably doesn’t need bands at all, but if you’re going to use them, you can get away with a little more bar weight.