Adding Bands Into Training

Im want to add bands into my training program. i train for football. I lift 4 days a week

max effort upper and lower mandays and tuesday.

dynamic effort upper and lower thrusdays and friday

I’d like to add bands to my squat on ME days and DE days but i heard it was only good to use bands on DE days.

heres my stats bench:275 squat:380 pc:225

anybody?

Use chains :slight_smile:

Bands can add an interesting twist to training, but they have a tendancy to beat you up and leave you pretty sore(an accelerated negative will do that).

Use them on either day, or both if you really want to, but I’d suggest only using bands for 2 weeks at a time with 4-6 weeks before you use them again(At least with any considerable volume. A little here and there isn’t a big deal)

If you want accomodating resistance during your time off bands you could consider chains as already mentioned.

i could use chains but i doubt the gym i lift at will let me lug them in there and i really dont want to be carryin 100+ lbs in my bag.

Any ideas on how i can incorporate bands into my training.

I was thinkin during my strength cycle lower body DE day just do banded box squats

but during my speed/explosion cycle i was going to use bands on ME squats and use bands for DE day for either speed squats with bands or speed box squats

anybody have any opinions

I use the medium bands for ALL of my DE work. I’ve tried them for ME, but saw no benefit. I also never experienced none of the extra soreness that they talk about.

Im pretty Iffy on using the bands for ME days. I have the #3 Iron woody bands.

If theres no benefit to using the bands on ME days than i wont use em.

what kind of benefits did you see from using the bands on DE days? did your ME squats improve?

[quote]BlazinSpeed wrote:
i could use chains but i doubt the gym i lift at will let me lug them in there and i really dont want to be carryin 100+ lbs in my bag.

Any ideas on how i can incorporate bands into my training.

I was thinkin during my strength cycle lower body DE day just do banded box squats

but during my speed/explosion cycle i was going to use bands on ME squats and use bands for DE day for either speed squats with bands or speed box squats

anybody have any opinions[/quote]

Lock the chains into a nearby locker.

You can use bands on ME days and DE days to increase tension at the top and accommadate resistance. On DE days you should use less weight in order to increase bar speed and your rate of force development. The bands also help the you to explode through the entire rep with less deceleration at the top, compared to if you were just using straight weight.

thanx for the info justliftinhard. what % of my 1rm should i use to DE days. if my max squat is 380 and the bands are 80/25 each. what should my rep/set look like?

do you think it would be worth it to use the bands on ME days. if so what should the rep/set look like on ME days

[quote]Zell959 wrote:
Bands can add an interesting twist to training, but they have a tendancy to beat you up and leave you pretty sore(an accelerated negative will do that).
[/quote]

HMM ive actually found them good for aiding my joints etc on pressing movements and upper body work not so much lower but dont have any probs there so hard to gauge it.

I think they are a good tool like others have said rotate them in for sure.

Phill

Blazin since you’re a football player you’d probably get great result using bands with DE movements. I would tend to concur that the use of bands is more limited with ME movements and the carryover to your on the field performance is even less so.

I’m not sure where you workout. But if you play football you’re probably at some type of school facility which should either a] already have chains or b] welcome the addition of chains.

actually i play pro football in arena league. this yr is going to be my 1st year. previously i played semi-pro. the season starts in march. i lift at my local ymca and you can only use a lock in a locker room for 1 day. at the end of each day they cut the locks and empty the lockers.

Im going to use bands on DE day only. could someone help me with a set/rep for the banded squats that day? keep in mind that i Power Clean/Hang Clean that day too.

anyone?

I would run the bands in 3 week waves (3 week band, 3 week strait wt). For Bench use mini bands, for sq use light or moderate bands. Don’t worry about percentage. Start with 40% of your 1RM, if your moving the weight fast and explosively try adding 10 lbs and try again. If too slow then drop weight by 10 lbs. Its all about the bar speed. When it comes to DE many people get too caught up in %'s. The next week try adding 10 lbs to what you did the week before. Same goes with the 3rd week. Just be sure to move the bar FAST. For sets I use:
Bench Wk1: 10x3 reps, Wk 2: 8x3 reps, Wk 3: 6x3 reps.
SQ: Wk 1: 10x2 reps, Wk 2: 8x2 reps, wk 3: 6x3

I was thinkin either 4x4 or 8x2 which would be better for DE day?

sorry i didnt see the post before

Keep the reps between 1 and 3. Its very important to do a lot of sets. Check out some of the articles by Louie Simmons at westside barbell website: Strength Training Education: Weight Training, Powerlifting & More | Westside Barbell also, check out some of the articles by dave tate on T-Nation and Elite for a further explanation of the theory behind this.

I have just one more question I need answering.

Would doing 8x2 of banded box squats and 6x2 of power clean on DE day be to much? should i just pick one or is doing both of them overdoing it

I don’t think it would be too much to do them in the same workout as long as you adjust the volume of your assistance work for the day accordingly. I think it would be better to do it in 3 week waves, alternate DE SQ 3 weeks and then Cleans 3 weeks. I wouldn’t use bands for cleans.