T Nation

Adding 100 Lbs to My Squat?

I’ve been lifting since the summer of 2005, which was the beginning of freshman year for me. I have since seen many gains, but this year I am looking for massive gains. I am one of the few members in the sophmore class at my highschool in the 2-3-4 club and am looking to advance to the 3-4-5 club before my senior year starts.

Currently I am at 157lbs at 5’8
squat 1RM-350lbs
bench 1RM-200
Incline 1RM-150

Now do you guys think that is possible for me to pack on 100 lbs to my squat? within a years time?

What’s your deadlift max?

Smolov (and lots of pain) ftw

[quote]darklight wrote:
I’ve been lifting since the summer of 2005, which was the beginning of freshman year for me. I have since seen many gains, but this year I am looking for massive gains. I am one of the few members in the sophmore class at my highschool in the 2-3-4 club and am looking to advance to the 3-4-5 club before my senior year starts.

squat 1RM-350lbs
bench 1RM-200
Incline 1RM-150

Now do you guys think that is possible for me to pack on 100 lbs to my squat? within a years time?

[/quote]
Do you play football? Do you have a coach that supervises you lifters? Don’t get caught up in the competition of trying to make some “club”. No offense but your 350 lb squat sounds too high.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
darklight wrote:

squat 1RM-350lbs
bench 1RM-200
Incline 1RM-150

Do you play football? Do you have a coach that supervises you lifters? Don’t get caught up in the competition of trying to make some “club”. No offense but your 350 lb squat sounds too high.
[/quote]

Don’t be so quick to judge. Remember, in high school you don’t have to squat to parallel, you just have to dip the bar a couple of inches and it’s a good lift.

Seriously though, 100lbs would be an impressive gain, if you didn’t sacrifice form for weight.

Dont ask if its possible who the hell cares if we say no. Beleive it is and make that shit happen start today.

Good luck’

Phill

[quote]darklight wrote:
I am one of the few members in the sophmore class at my highschool in the 2-3-4 club and am [u]looking to advance to the 3-4-5 club[/u] before my senior year starts.

Currently [u]I am at 157lbs[/u] at 5’8
squat 1RM-350lbs
bench 1RM-200
Incline 1RM-150[/quote]
How much bodyweight are you willing to put on?

I don’t know if a double bodyweight bench and a triple bodyweight squat and a more-than triple bodyweight dead are in the books for 12 months from now.

But ya know what? Shoot for it anyway, man. Be smart about it, be patient, and be consistent.

What type of routine have you been using up until now? I definitely agree that you’ll need to put some mass on.

If you want to concentrate on the big 3, read every article that Dave Tate has written here at T-Nation. Afterwards head over to elitefts.com and read as much as you can. This should set you on your way.

What is the 2-3-4-4-5-6 club?

[quote]almostabb wrote:
What is the 2-3-4-4-5-6 club?[/quote]

He wants to graduate from
Bench 200
Squat 300
Deadlift 400

to
Bench 300
Squat 400
Deadlift 500

That 350 squat has been proven in front of 3 different coaches on 3 different dates. 2 were both powerlifting and football coaches the other was our head soccer coach.

I have never maxed my deadlift but have done over 400 several times.

Im willing to put on the mass that is required and know very well how big I may become.

I guess all I really wanted to say was I’ve set my goal, and now I will have somewhere to show my progress.

Keep lifting, and most importantly eat.

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
Smolov (and lots of pain) ftw[/quote]

Yup, Smolov. Do a search on “Smolov squat routine.”

Oh, the horror.

A 100 pound increase is a lot, but you never know what you can do until you try. The best I can suggest is read “Squat 900 Pounds” by Dave Tate http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459775

Take the advice about getting some Chuck Taylors, I added 10% to my squat when I took that advice from an experienced lifter at my gym. After you squat in them you won’t know why your ever wore different shoes to squat.

[quote]PaulR wrote:
A 100 pound increase is a lot, but you never know what you can do until you try. The best I can suggest is read “Squat 900 Pounds” by Dave Tate http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459775

Take the advice about getting some Chuck Taylors, I added 10% to my squat when I took that advice from an experienced lifter at my gym. After you squat in them you won’t know why your ever wore different shoes to squat.[/quote]

Really???

I’ve squatted in Chucks for the past year but am moving to Adidas Adistar weightlifing shoes in a few weeks!

i like the

squat
bench
incline (i was all waiting for deadlift after the first two)

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
ah_dut wrote:
Smolov (and lots of pain) ftw

Yup, Smolov. Do a search on “Smolov squat routine.”

Oh, the horror.[/quote]

hey i checked the article. it sounds crazy and im all about crazy strength and i was wondering if this program could be used on bench press and deadlift as well?

[quote]ah_dut wrote:
Smolov (and lots of pain) ftw[/quote]

haha, smolov. I was passed on a photocopy of the routine from a book once, read it, and I thought there was no way in hell I could ever do it.

Still in the back of my mind though, maybe one day…

My max squat has not moved for about 2 months so I am thinking about doing the Smolov routine. (I hadn’t heard of it until I read this thread.)

What are the principles behind it? Is it just increased volume for at fairly high intensity for an extended period of time?

I want to know because if I fail before I finish a set, wouldn’t it be better to drop the weight just a little and keep going with the next sets to get the volume in? Isn’t the volume more important than lifting the exact weight in this type of routine?

[quote]smallmike wrote:
My max squat has not moved for about 2 months so I am thinking about doing the Smolov routine. (I hadn’t heard of it until I read this thread.)

What are the principles behind it? Is it just increased volume for at fairly high intensity for an extended period of time?

I want to know because if I fail before I finish a set, wouldn’t it be better to drop the weight just a little and keep going with the next sets to get the volume in? Isn’t the volume more important than lifting the exact weight in this type of routine?

[/quote]

Here’s a link from a local site:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

Intense program, you will be doing more squatting in 12-14 weeks than most people do in a year. :slight_smile: