Addicted To Training!!

Alright heres the problem, simply put I am addicted to training. While many consider it not to be a bad thing, I am in the gym way too much (I think) from reading what is on this site.

Basically right now I am lifting 6x a week for an average of about an hour and a half. My body recovers fairly quickly (probably cause of my age 18, and my diet) and I am seeing great results so far but I fear this could lead to serious overtraining in the future. I’ve tried lifting 5x a week but it just feels wrong, maybe I’m just paranoid!

You’ll grow out of it. Pun intended

its fine to work out twice a day 45-1 hour sessions as long as your eating enough and not working the same muscles over and over

monday
squats
traps

tuesday
shoulders
biceps

wednesday
calves
back

thursday
chest
grip work

friday
abbs
triceps

saturday
cleans
lacking body parts

^ example >>>not advice<<<

n3wb

Not attempting to contribute to the split/TBT debate but if you are doing splits then that seems fine to me. Shit I got the best results of my life training twice per day almost 5 days per week. size wise that is, Strength wise I go up better on 4x per weekish.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Shit I got the best results of my life training twice per day almost 5 days per week. size wise that is, Strength wise I go up better on 4x per weekish.

-chris[/quote]

Yea I’m feeling that also. My size has increased by a lot during training but my overall strength seems to increase more on my day off (sunday). When I come back on monday usually I can lift more in each of my exercises even if its just by 5lbs or more reps.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Not attempting to contribute to the split/TBT debate but if you are doing splits then that seems fine to me. Shit I got the best results of my life training twice per day almost 5 days per week. size wise that is, Strength wise I go up better on 4x per weekish.

-chris[/quote]

Good stuff. When I was younger I could train twice a day too, with great results. I could do it now, maybe, if I switched back to splits. Anyway, good post.

I uesd to be able to train 6 days a week, but then I got old.

I agree with the age and lifting thing but also think it has to do with LOADS and stresses. As the loads get higher I find I need more time to heal.

Do it whilem it working but watch and listen to your body.

Phill

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
Alright heres the problem, simply put I am addicted to training. While many consider it not to be a bad thing, I am in the gym way too much (I think) from reading what is on this site.

Basically right now I am lifting 6x a week for an average of about an hour and a half. My body recovers fairly quickly (probably cause of my age 18, and my diet) and I am seeing great results so far but I fear this could lead to serious overtraining in the future. I’ve tried lifting 5x a week but it just feels wrong, maybe I’m just paranoid! [/quote]

What program do you follow? Saying how long you spend in the gym doesn’t say much.

Also, how do you know how fast your body recovers? How can you tell if your CNS is not being overtrained?

[quote]homer1 wrote:

What program do you follow? Saying how long you spend in the gym doesn’t say much.

Also, how do you know how fast your body recovers? How can you tell if your CNS is not being overtrained?[/quote]

I’m currently doing a 3 day body part split – chest/tris, back/bis, shoulder/legs. I tweak the amount of exercises I do each session, some days it can be like 10 others like 6 depending on how I feel. The ret scheme changes every other week 5x5, 4x8, 3x10.

As for the recovery I simply go by how my body feels. I don’t know how I can tell if my nervous system is being overtrained? I don’t think i’ve encountered this problem yet?!

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
homer1 wrote:

Also, how do you know how fast your body recovers? How can you tell if your CNS is not being overtrained?

I’m currently doing a 3 day body part split – chest/tris, back/bis, shoulder/legs. I tweak the amount of exercises I do each session, some days it can be like 10 others like 6 depending on how I feel. The ret scheme changes every other week 5x5, 4x8, 3x10.

As for the recovery I simply go by how my body feels. I don’t know how I can tell if my nervous system is being overtrained? I don’t think i’ve encountered this problem yet?!
[/quote]

If you start waking up in the middle of the night for no reason, then you are overtraining and should stop for a while. I know because it happened to me from when I was doing TBT 5x a week with inadequate recovery. Too much, too soon. But if you feel good and are getting enough rest, go for it.

Personally, I think if you’re in the gym for more than an hour, you’re probably not working hard enough. Get in. Lift with some fucking intensity. Get out.

DD