Adderall - Worth It?

I was taking my prescribed 25mg of adderall everyday last spring and I kept myself at a 3.91 GPA outta 4. It was great, but I stopped taking it for the summer because I like to be more, well myself. I really don’t want to get into the “A.D.D. is blah blah blah” convo cause it’s irrelevant to my question. The question is wether or not starting the meds up again is worth it.

I read over the summer it was catabolic and would hinder my gains. THat is the LAST thing I want but my grades are also slipping a little bit. Yes, i can think for myself but I would just like to know your guys’ opinion on the whole thing.

CLiffnotes:
-Took adderall (25g) everyday last spring for school. Pulled off amazing grades.
-Stopped for the summer, read they were catabolic
-Stopped for the fall, fearing the catabolic side effects.

Do you think I can counter this side effect by any chance?

just do it…worry bout the consequences later

I did fine in school without adderall/ritalin and I have ADD. But not everyone can. If you really do need it, and if having a high GPA is something you want, then take it.

I hate the stuff and refuse to use it, but Im not you.

Decide what you want the most then do whatever you need to get those things.

If your worried about catabolism but your not willing to give up your crank, than just take steroids.

adderall + steroids

/thread.

Your brain is the repository of wisdom and seat of decision making. Without it you’ll sink to dumber and poorer heights. Stay on the Adderall

It’s what you feel is more important.

Realize that if you don’t make good enough grades to get into grad school, you may not be able to afford as much food as you will eat as you get larger.

What makes Adderall catabolic? Did you read the entire study, or was this just a survey of users?
I also take 25mg a day, cuts my appetite to HELL. The first few months I could forget to eat until 2pm. Prior to this was eating every 3-4hrs. Had to set my watch and (re)monitor my calories. After I got back into the grove no weight/muscle loss, and my GPA went to 3.5 out of 4.
Be wary of statistics, anything can be “proved” if you ask the right question.

[quote]Phileaux wrote:
What makes Adderall catabolic? Did you read the entire study, or was this just a survey of users?
I also take 25mg a day, cuts my appetite to HELL. The first few months I could forget to eat until 2pm. Prior to this was eating every 3-4hrs. Had to set my watch and (re)monitor my calories. After I got back into the grove no weight/muscle loss, and my GPA went to 3.5 out of 4.
Be wary of statistics, anything can be “proved” if you ask the right question. [/quote]

Its an amphetamine.

By DEFINITION its a serious CNS stim and extremely catabolic, that’s like me needing to prove that fire is hot.

I would say just see where the chips fall. If you can get a fairly acceptable GPA without dextroamphetamine or whatever it is; then go with out it. If you really want it, suck it up, take it, up your protein and healthy fats, and learn to make your body grow even while on the amphetamine! :stuck_out_tongue:

You have your whole life to build muscle - school is NOW.

I’m only twenty and I don’t think I should be messing with steroids, thanks for the advice though. And this is the honest truth, I don’t function normally in a classroom or any room where I have to listen to someone lecture for more than 5 minutes if I’m not on my meds. I tried sucking it up really hard the last month in school but I have been failing hardcore hah. I Have been on meds for awhile now and I am in no way addicted to adderall at all. It just wakes me up and finally gives me the focus, because sometimes I can’t even understand what people are saying to me over the phone because I just can’t put their words together fast enough, or at least that’s what it feels like. I don’t get “distracted,” my mind just wanders, if that makes sense.

I will try it for the next couple months and see how it works out. I’m gonna research more of this catabolic side effects.

I think I might have to take this route when I get into collage. I just can’t stay focused when it comes to school work. I always wander off when doing HW or something, and it takes me hours to finish stuff, and then I don’t want to do it anymore cause it takes so long. :confused:

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Phileaux wrote:

Its an amphetamine.

By DEFINITION its a serious CNS stim and extremely catabolic, that’s like me needing to prove that fire is hot.[/quote]

Not a definition that I know (that it is catabolic.)

If one makes a point of eating appropriately every 2 hours, or similar figure, having a low appetite, if that is the case – it certainly isn’t for everybody – does not have to result in inadequate nutrition.

And anorectic effect is I think the only “catabolic” effect there is.

Being an anorectic is not the same as being catabolic.

Nor is being a CNS stimulant necessary catabolic. Do we consider clenbuterol or ephedrine catabolic, in the bb’ing sense of the term? That is to say, in reference to muscle?

The OP might want to experiment with a lower dose. 25 mg is pretty whopping. (Yes I know a lot of doctors prescribe that much.)

Not because of catabolic effect, but because of the 25 mg likely being more than necessary. Maybe much more than necessary.

This would be best seen when re-starting. It can be harder to evaluate when already acclimated to the higher dose.

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
I think I might have to take this route when I get into collage. I just can’t stay focused when it comes to school work. I always wander off when doing HW or something, and it takes me hours to finish stuff, and then I don’t want to do it anymore cause it takes so long. :confused: [/quote]

Don’t self prescribe for fucks sake.

If you think you have an attention deficit disorder then go to the doctor for a proper assessment.

You may well just have a short attention span.

It is not uncommon to want to do other things during school work or house work - and of course for teenagers this is even more the case.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Phileaux wrote:

Its an amphetamine.

By DEFINITION its a serious CNS stim and extremely catabolic, that’s like me needing to prove that fire is hot.

Not a definition that I know (that it is catabolic.)

If one makes a point of eating appropriately every 2 hours, or similar figure, having a low appetite, if that is the case – it certainly isn’t for everybody – does not have to result in inadequate nutrition.

And anorectic effect is I think the only “catabolic” effect there is.

Being an anorectic is not the same as being catabolic.

Nor is being a CNS stimulant necessary catabolic. Do we consider clenbuterol or ephedrine catabolic, in the bb’ing sense of the term? That is to say, in reference to muscle?

The OP might want to experiment with a lower dose. 25 mg is pretty whopping. (Yes I know a lot of doctors prescribe that much.)

Not because of catabolic effect, but because of the 25 mg likely being more than necessary. Maybe much more than necessary.

This would be best seen when re-starting. It can be harder to evaluate when already acclimated to the higher dose.

[/quote]

Well I started off at 15Mg and moved my way up. I feel fine on 25mg, focused but not all wired and ready to conquer the entire Persian army hah. But I will personally conduct my own experiments with proper diet/exercise/sleep and see where it takes me. I will be keeping everyone updated, and yes, as a person it is harder for me to function “normally” without my meds. Do I hate the fact that I have to take them in order to keep up? Yes, it makes me envious of the people that can function so well without any type of medication. But I just can’t. Growing up I was never the smart kid but I tried really hard and teachers noticed, but it just wasn’t enough. Speaking out in class, distracting others, getting emotionally upset when I was forced to do certain work I did not want to do. I am not going to lie, adderall put me on the same level as most normal people.

Enough with the rant, thank you for the help guys.

Why not just cycle it around major school events such as tests and see how you do? The kids that don’t even have A.D.D. do that to get the “competitive edge” in school and take one before a test day to study, and one on the test day. You’d be surprised how crazy those kids trying to get into med school can get.

OK, well if you’ve evaluated the 15 mg carefully and are confident that 25 mg works better for you, then very good.

There is a tendency for doctors to increase the dose so long as there are any ADD traits remaining, or until there are complaints of side effects or the dose is quite high, but in many cases it isn’t realistic to expect 100%. And the same degree of improvement was really occurring at a much lower dose than what was wound up with.

Not that that is always the case, but it often is. It sounds as if that did not happen in your case, which is good.