T Nation

Add Supplemental Work

I recently switched to new program that is similiar to Combat Conditioning. Yes, this program has a lot of cardio so don’t rip me too much, the rest of it is pretty brutal. I’m starting week 3 today and I’m pretty sore already from this.

Basically, here is a quick rundown 3x Week:

Week 1
Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Week 2
Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pushups: 5 sets of 20 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 5 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 3 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Week 3
Running: No running
Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Week 4
Running: 3 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pushups: 5 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 5 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 4 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Weeks 5-6
Running: 2 / 3 / 4 / 2 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
Pushups: 6 sets of 25 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 6 sets of 25 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 2 sets of 8 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Weeks 7-8
Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
Pushups: 6 sets of 30 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 2 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

Week 9
Running: 4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles, Mo/Tu/We/Fr
Pushups: 6 sets of 30 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
Situps: 6 sets of 30 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri
Pullups: 3 sets of 10 pullups, Mon/Wed/Fri

My concern is the lack of leg work except for the running. Should I try to incorporate deads/squats on the off days or do you think it will be overtraining too much?

I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. This program looks good for endurance. And for running. Thats about it. There isn’t enough variety. No gripwork(okay pullups to an extent). No legwork(unless you are sprinting, running hills.) No real strength training actually. If you want to have stamina it looks good. But if you are doing this for a sport then you definitely need some strength training. I think your lower back will suffer eventually. Personally I would lift weights on 2 of the off days. Basic, compound lifts focusing on the lower body. Heavy weights. Maybe a thorough squat based day and a deadlift day with a couple other exercises. You might have to cut back a bit on the running however. Just my 2 cents.

I will probably throw in some squats and deads on the off days just to get some variety and to make sure my legs and back aren’t neglected completely.

I’m doing this program in conjunction with a cutting diet to see if this program will actually get me shredded or not. It’s kind of an experiment like Shugs is doing. If I feel like I’m losing mass, I’ll probably switch to a different program. I think that my overall strength should increase but I probably won’t gain much if anything for size.

Thanks for the advice.