T Nation

Add Muscle and Lose Fat?

IS there a way to accomplish this or is this just wishful thinking

SURE! Do a bulk, and then do a cut!

i meant at the same time haha but thanks for the advice

Not if you expect to make serious progress.

How long have you been training?

I ask because it's not uncommon for newbies to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time provided they eat enough without going overboard and are training with intensity and not just going through the motions.

No.

as im a beginner also, this may be just what HK24719 saud, but ive put on a good amount of mass while staying lean (having all my abs visible without flexing, but i have been eating very clean and i also have a REALLY fast metabolism, making me just have to ewat and eat to put on muscle, but just makes me not put on much bodyfat. so i think its possible, depending on a combination of diet and genetics

Of course you can do both at the same time, but you probably won't build muscle as quickly as if you bulked then cut.

When I first started lifting my mindset was that I wanted to lose fat, but if I built muscle at the same time it'd help me lose fat faster and keep it off. I didn't take all my measurements, especially at the beginning, but my upper arms went from something like a fatty 14" to a lean +16" in about a year and a half, maybe a little more. My weight went from 196 lbs to 145 lbs at a height of 5'10" with body fat at 7% according to a water tank test.

The main thing in the program I did was to keep my protein over 1 gram per pound of body weight, keep a strong calorie deficit, do cardio in the morning and lift after work. Most of my muscle came after I got closer to 145 lbs when I increased my calorie intake and started using protein shakes immediately after lifting. What I did was pretty extreme...not sure if you'd want or even have the dedication to go as far as I did, but the main thing is that you can do it.

I started 5/3/1 at 210 pounds and 315x2/225x1/425. A few cycles later I was 375x1/230x3/455 at 200. It's possible, but it's rough as hell, and you don't see the greatest gains normally. However it's much easier for a beginner to do it also.

Can one bulk and use a fat burner to prevent excessive fat gains? Or will the fat burner hinder muscle gains?

thanks for the advice guys. and on the 5/3/1 program how many cycles did it take u and how is ur program set up?

fat burners don't burn fat, they speed metabolism and burn energy.. so, taking them while on a bulk is not a good idea, just bulk, then cut once you have gained a decent amount of size would be my advice

i think if you pay really close attention to diet it is possible.. i was on a moderate carb diet (pre/post workout and breakfast) and high protein, this combined with cardio allowed me to lose couple of inches off my waist in 6 weeks, i gained a little bit of strength so i think that i added muscle but its hard to say.

eat relatively clean and bust your ass.