Add Another 30 LBs?

[quote]Soco wrote:
So you only gained 10 pounds and no longer look lean?

Sorry buddy but I think you just gained 10 pounds of fat and your wife is calling bullshit on your supposed muscle gains. I think you need to get your diet in order and then go ahead and try to put on a good 20 lbs of lean muscle. If you actually do gain a good amount of muscle with a bit of fat, I doubt you will hear any complaints.

Soco[/quote]

I agree with this also. If your gains are mostly muscle, it will be evident. If all you are gaining is body fat, you are either eating too much, not lifting all that hard and heavy…or both.

THe calipers say 4lbs was fat. Considering how long it took thats pretty bad.

I understand when you say the diet is screwd up. Because I didnt try and gain faster? Because its too complicated?

I did gain weight and I did get enough protein, what else could of done outside of just going about it faster.

[quote]topgun322 wrote:

I did gain weight and I did get enough protein, what else could of done outside of just going about it faster. [/quote]

Maybe you went about it too fast. How do you know you are “getting enough protein” or getting enough of anything else? As your body grows, your approach to food has to grow as well. I am STILL making changes to how I eat and I am not new at this. I just started taking in the amount of protein that I do this year. That came from trial and error.

Huge red flags go up when someone claims they are doing everything right…especially when they aren’t making the progress they seem to think they should be making.

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
I dont understand your last sentence. It is much easier for me to progress strenght wise when i dont do a much volume. I just try and keep it in the low range for reps (IE 25) per muscle so I can come back and do it again.
[/quote]

First, I think you are confused with your goals. Is hypertrophy your main goal or strength? Yes they are closely related, but if your only goal is strength, I would tell you to use a powerlifting program like a Westside template. But from your previous posts, it sounds like you main goal is hypertrophy.

I also think you are confused about the term volume. Maybe this below example will help:

Let’s say you squat 225 for 2 sets of 12

225 x 24 total reps = 5400 pounds lifted

OR you could use 6 x 4 allowing you to use more weight. Let’s say 265 for for 6 sets of 4

265 x 24 total reps = 6360 pounds lifted

Even though you are using 24 reps in each example, you are using more total workout volume with the 6x4 example. I’m not saying this is ALWAYS the best way to lift, but you may want to try changing your set / rep parameters if what you’re doing isn’t providing adequate results. (options: 10 x 3, 6 x 4, 12 x 2, 5 x 5, etc.) Again, I would also use more than one leg exercise on your leg day.

You have to lift heavy weights if you want to get bigger and stronger.

Dude you look lean. Your diet looks fine. Your getting enough protein if thats how you eat everyday.

I think you have body image issues. Your not going to look much bigger at that weight being tall.

EAT MORE!!!

If your lifts are going up your gaining muscle. Just ignore what you like, work on increasing the weights and eating above maintenance. Your going to gain some fat but thats easy to take off once you have some muscle.

If you cut now you will be cutting into bone.

Again for the second time this year I agree with the Professor. I need to go find some more of your post, you know the ones where you are acting like an a-hole.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
topgun322 wrote:
Well what I really wanted to know was should I keep trying to gain weight.
Is it working, I dont know. My lifts are going up but I look worse than I did 10 lbs ok as I was lean and thin and now I am not lean and thin so that part no.

10x3 I have tried before but not very long I must say. Doing 10 sets on the same exercise I never liked but I would be willing to give that a try again.

The last time I got up to this weight I did a lot more volume and didnt increase the weights nearly as much. I figure if I can get my squat up to 400x1 (At 315 from 285) I would have to be bigger. Than I could go back and do reps in the 8-10 range at a much higher weight.

I dont understand your last sentence. It is much easier for me to progress strenght wise when i dont do a much volume. I just try and keep it in the low range for reps (IE 25) per muscle so I can come back and do it again.

It isn’t like you are about to make that drastic of a physical change while staying “ripped” the entire time. That is why bodybuilders have “off seasons” and why, though this may come as a shock, they generally do not look their best during that time. That time is for growth and gains in strength.

Either accept and tell your wife to accept it or don’t expect that much change. Your gains will come EXTREMELY slow (if they come at all) if you plan on worrying that much about whether your body fat percentage increases a little.

[/quote]

Got it- I figured since I was going up that I shouldnt change around too much. I will add some more lower reps, multi sets and see how that goes. One of the power lifters and my gym told me at my stage strength is size and that I should only focus on getting stronger, eating more calories and 1.5 grams of protein per pound. Thats what i did.

Thanks for everyones input.

[quote]tpa wrote:
topgun322 wrote:

First, I think you are confused with your goals. Is hypertrophy your main goal or strength? Yes they are closely related, but if your only goal is strength, I would tell you to use a powerlifting program like a Westside template. But from your previous posts, it sounds like you main goal is hypertrophy.

I also think you are confused about the term volume. Maybe this below example will help:

Let’s say you squat 225 for 2 sets of 12

225 x 24 total reps = 5400 pounds lifted

OR you could use 6 x 4 allowing you to use more weight. Let’s say 265 for for 6 sets of 4

265 x 24 total reps = 6360 pounds lifted

Even though you are using 24 reps in each example, you are using more total workout volume with the 6x4 example. I’m not saying this is ALWAYS the best way to lift, but you may want to try changing your set / rep parameters if what you’re doing isn’t providing adequate results. (options: 10 x 3, 6 x 4, 12 x 2, 5 x 5, etc.) Again, I would also use more than one leg exercise on your leg day.

You have to lift heavy weights if you want to get bigger and stronger.
[/quote]

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
Got it- I figured since I was going up that I shouldnt change around too much. I will add some more lower reps, multi sets and see how that goes. One of the power lifters and my gym told me at my stage strength is size and that I should only focus on getting stronger, eating more calories and 1.5 grams of protein per pound. Thats what i did.

Thanks for everyones input.

[/quote]

He wasn’t wrong. That is how I approach it and how I am sure most bigger bodybuilders do as well. I don’t agree that if you are focusing on strength you should instantly follow some template from Westside. I don’t devalue Westside, but your approach in ALL of this should be gains in strength. I am not sure why there is so much confusion in that area.

[quote]tpa wrote:

sharetrader, I think you have a vagina.[/quote]

Hahaha.

I don’t wanna say your wife doesn’t know shit, she’s probably in better shape than me, but there is no such thing for a man’s frame to not be able to handle more weight.There’s a 5’2" 275 pound bodybuilder at my gym.Low body fat too.Of course he has been at it fo years though.I’m 5’8" and when I said I wanted to gain to 230 a bunch of people told me my frame was too short.

Well I jumped from 200 to 230 anyway and my frame handles it fine.I got a little bit fatter but I have the option to cut any time I want.Now your 4 inches taller than me so you should actually be able to handle more.I would follow these people’s advice.

I don’t know why your wife thinks that adding thirty pounds on your frame will be “too much”. You’re not even 210. At 6 feet, putting on 30 pounds of LBM isn’t going outside of your “genetic potential.” Maybe it has to do with the fact that she is uneducated about bodybuilding and fitness. I’m 6’4’’ and I remember people telling me that I’ll get too big if I go past 210.

Turns out 245 was more ideal for my height. I didn’t even start filling out until I got to 220. So, if I had of listened to them I’d still be stuck at 190 looking like I don’t lift.
Find a less toxic environment.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I don’t know why your wife thinks that adding thirty pounds on your frame will be “too much”. You’re not even 210. At 6 feet, putting on 30 pounds of LBM isn’t going outside of your “genetic potential.” Maybe it has to do with the fact that she is uneducated about bodybuilding and fitness. I’m 6’4’’ and I remember people telling me that I’ll get too big if I go past 210.

Turns out 245 was more ideal for my height. I didn’t even start filling out until I got to 220, so if I had of listened to them, I’d still be stuck at 190 looking like I don’t lift.
Find a less toxic environment.[/quote]

I have ALWAYS had people tell me, “you look good now, but don’t get much bigger”. Meanwhile, I got bigger…and they still say, “you look good now, but don’t get much bigger”. In general, people are stupid when it comes to bodybuilding. They base what they think and say on what mass media instructs them to believe.

People are threatened by larger muscular guys in the first place. When an already big guy tells them he plans on getting bigger, I honestly think their own intimidation factor is talking when they make statements like that.

Hehe, I have to just say you look a lot like me just from those pictures. Looking good dude ;).

Anyway, the reason I posted is because, well you do look a lot like me, and… well I have a condition called Gynecomastia, search it on the web. Just concerned that you might to, either that or you just have huge pecs Hehe.

Funny you say that because I did go to a doctor once to see why my chest was bigger when I was realy skinny. He said nothing was wrong and that i just store any fat I have in the chest along with the stomach.

If you want to email me at CCBNK@aol.com I will show you the pictures at 175lbs and tell me if you think it still looks like that

I tried to get those pictures up but couldnt figure out why. I will email anyone who wants them, you can see if I am wrong to think I look worse. I didnt look good in those pictures but at least I was lean.

[quote]Dunamis wrote:
Hehe, I have to just say you look a lot like me just from those pictures. Looking good dude ;).

Anyway, the reason I posted is because, well you do look a lot like me, and… well I have a condition called Gynecomastia, search it on the web. Just concerned that you might to, either that or you just have huge pecs Hehe.[/quote]

[quote]tpa wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
There’s nothing “wrong” with me. Simply that I believe women deserve to be respected as individuals. Calling them “vaginas” is extremely disrespectful IMO.

When it comes to people having something wrong with them, I’m the one who’s been happily married for 18 years. What’s your track record?

sharetrader, I think you have a vagina.[/quote]

WRONG! But, hey, at least you have a sense of humor :slight_smile:

sharetrader wrote:
If you think and write of women as vaginas then you have a serious problem.

Holy crap. Thinking and writing of women’s vaginas means you have a problem? What other pearls of wisdom are you hoarding in that clearly sexually repressed mind of yours?

I think of women’s vaginas daily. Who knew this was wrong? Thank you for showing me the light.

There is a lot more to any woman than a vagina.

Uh, who said that all there is to a woman is a vagina?

There’s nothing “wrong” with me.

Bullshit.

Simply that I believe women deserve to be respected as individuals. Calling them “vaginas” is extremely disrespectful IMO.

Where did I call women vaginas? I call women “women”. Women HAVE vaginas. Seriously, they teach this stuff in kindergarten nowadays. Maybe you need a remedial course.

When it comes to people having something wrong with them, I’m the one who’s been happily married for 18 years. What’s your track record?

I’m not married and currently don’t want to be. I like where I am currently financially and career-wise. To this point, I have accomplished what I set out to do and am now setting all new goals. Can you say the same?

[/quote]

Let me give you some basic lessons in communication. What you wrote: “I know what my goals are. Any woman who would attempt to hold me back from it would be left behind. There isn’t exactly a shortage of vaginas.” (I have copied and pasted from your post, so you can’t claim to have been misquoted.)

If “there isn’t exactly a shortage of vaginas” means only what the plain words say, this is fatuous to the extent of stupidity. Of course there isn’t a shortage of vaginas. Many of them belong to cats, dogs, sheep, cattle, horses … but they’re not exactly relevant to the discussion, are they?

The clear meaning in context (particularly given the preceding sentence) is “there are plenty of vaginas (ie women) around, so if your current vagina (ie your wife) is giving you grief, ditch her and move on.”

Now if this is not referring to women as vaginas, please explain why not. Or perhaps you were just making a fatuous, stupid and irrelevant remark?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Professor X wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
If you think and write of women as vaginas then you have a serious problem.

Holy crap. Thinking and writing of women’s vaginas means you have a problem? What other pearls of wisdom are you hoarding in that clearly sexually repressed mind of yours?

I think of women’s vaginas daily. Who knew this was wrong? Thank you for showing me the light.

There is a lot more to any woman than a vagina.

Uh, who said that all there is to a woman is a vagina?

There’s nothing “wrong” with me.

Bullshit.

Simply that I believe women deserve to be respected as individuals. Calling them “vaginas” is extremely disrespectful IMO.

Where did I call women vaginas? I call women “women”. Women HAVE vaginas. Seriously, they teach this stuff in kindergarten nowadays. Maybe you need a remedial course.

I’m not married and currently don’t want to be. I like where I am currently financially and career-wise. To this point, I have accomplished what I set out to do and am now setting all new goals. Can you say the same?

Let me give you some basic lessons in communication. What you wrote: “I know what my goals are. Any woman who would attempt to hold me back from it would be left behind. There isn’t exactly a shortage of vaginas.” (I have copied and pasted from your post, so you can’t claim to have been misquoted.)

If “there isn’t exactly a shortage of vaginas” means only what the plain words say, this is fatuous to the extent of stupidity. Of course there isn’t a shortage of vaginas. Many of them belong to cats, dogs, sheep, cattle, horses … but they’re not exactly relevant to the discussion, are they?

The clear meaning in context (particularly given the preceding sentence) is “there are plenty of vaginas (ie women) around, so if your current vagina (ie your wife) is giving you grief, ditch her and move on.”

Now if this is not referring to women as vaginas, please explain why not. Or perhaps you were just making a fatuous, stupid and irrelevant remark?[/quote]

Speaking of this particular feminine canal leading to internal sexual organs…your wife might want her’s back.

IMO you look great so go for it. I disagree with the people here telling you to fuck your wife off though I mean you obviously are married to because she has some great trates, no reason to see her as the enemy just because she disagrees with you.

See her resistance to the idea as a test to see how much you really want to do it!

Cthulhu wrote:

Turns out 245 was more ideal for my height. I didn’t even start filling out until I got to 220, so if I had of listened to them, I’d still be stuck at 190 looking like I don’t lift.
Find a less toxic environment.

I have ALWAYS had people tell me, “you look good now, but don’t get much bigger”. Meanwhile, I got bigger…and they still say, “you look good now, but don’t get much bigger”. In general, people are stupid when it comes to bodybuilding. They base what they think and say on what mass media instructs them to believe.

People are threatened by larger muscular guys in the first place. When an already big guy tells them he plans on getting bigger, I honestly think their own intimidation factor is talking when they make statements like that.[/quote]

I think another thing is people who know you are used to seeing you look a certain way, especially if they’re married to you.

So when you talk about adding muscle or whatever, they start thinking in extremes.

That might be the case with his wife also, or it might be a jealousy factor more than an intimidation factor because I don’t see how 210 or even 220 is “too big” for someone who is 6’4’'.

LOL

[quote]amigu wrote:
IMO you look great so go for it. I disagree with the people here telling you to fuck your wife off though I mean you obviously are married to because she has some great trates, no reason to see her as the enemy just because she disagrees with you.

See her resistance to the idea as a test to see how much you really want to do it![/quote]

Maybe you should check your testosterone levels and look into hormone replacement therapy.