T Nation

Add Another 30 LBs?

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
…Wife says that my frame wont hold much more weight and I will look terrible that my body is not meant to be big. She is an athlete, very fit and I guess she says she like me better leaner.[/quote]

You are probably getting more advice than you ever imagined on this topic. ha ha

Don’t worry excessively about what your wife says right now. Her concerns about your physique might be based on a preference for “lean/skinny” men or it may be that she is just insecure about your options when you are bigger and stronger.

In a year or two your wife’s girlfriends are going to start commenting about how lucky she is to be getting fucked regularly by a strong muscular guy. At that point she will realize that she has to compete or one of her girlfriends or sisters might make you a better offer.

The Professor correctly stated that there is no shortage of vaginas. However, there is a major shortage of strong and muscular men.

She’ll come around …or her sister will. ha ha

LOL

[quote]DM246 wrote:
topgun322 wrote:
…Wife says that my frame wont hold much more weight and I will look terrible that my body is not meant to be big. She is an athlete, very fit and I guess she says she like me better leaner.

You are probably getting more advice than you ever imagined on this topic. ha ha

Don’t worry excessively about what your wife says right now. Her concerns about your physique might be based on a preference for “lean/skinny” men or it may be that she is just insecure about your options when you are bigger and stronger.

In a year or two your wife’s girlfriends are going to start commenting about how lucky she is to be getting fucked regularly by a strong muscular guy. At that point she will realize that she has to compete or one of her girlfriends or sisters might make you a better offer.

The Professor correctly stated that there is no shortage of vaginas. However, there is a major shortage of strong and muscular men.

She’ll come around …or her sister will. ha ha [/quote]

It depends on how your marriage is. If you have a good marriage (lots of sex, spending it not out of control, etc.), then you make compromises. Gain some weight but just don’t gain much fat if it’ll keep her happy.

If your marriage is lacking in other areas, who cares if your seeking your goals pisses her off? Sounds like she checked out of the marriage a long time ago.

Curious… How old were you when you got married? I don’t think anyone under 27 should even think about marriage. You are still finding yourself and building your career at that age. 30 is a better age for settling down, though as a male you can marry much later in life in American society.

Wow, I forget how passionate you guys about this stuff. I appreciate everyones input, this is really helping me a lot.

First off I have thrown everyone off with the wife part by overstating her feelings. She doesnt want me to get bigger she wont (cant :slight_smile: ) stop me. Its kinda like if I want her hair long and if she would get it short, I like it long but if she gets it short , what can I do.

Professor hit the nail in the head when he says I would of done this earlier. I was about 200lbs on college, working out, arms and chest were a lot bigger. But I knew nothing about diet . I actualy dated a girl who loving called me chunk because my face was heavier, I looked like a young Roger Clemens if that gives you a picture.

After college I learned about nutrition, got lean , never stop liftine weights but of course never grew, I thought I would get that same “chunk” look and I got a lot more women when i had a thin face.

Its only the last 2 years when I came to T-Nation and saw GOOD physiques who actually had some weight on them. Thats when I decided to give it a try again.

6 months 10 lbs
I went slow on purpose thought I was doing better actually in the mirror than what I see in the pictures.

I am 3 days a week (hit each muscle 3 times in 2 weeks) and my focus has been just to get stronger mostly lower reps/low volume almost like a power lifter. Squat is up 30lbs, DL 35ls. DB Press (barbell hurts shoulders) up 15lbs . I do work in some isolation higher reps for bis, tri, abs.

I do have recovery issues and I do have a hard time gaining strength. I go up for a couple workouts and then plateau.

The wife is actually very supportive overall, I shouldnt have made her out to be the main issue. The main issue is I seem to look worse as I gain weight and I dont know if thats normal.
Hard to know if I am on the right track
or not.

[quote]Brutus_G wrote:
How fast did you gain the weight and what rate are you trying to gain muscle? Split? Diet? Typical days meals? If it all seems good then yeah shes being a negative bitch if not maybe she has some merit we wont know till you post this info.[/quote]

I was really hoping just to get a little advice from a couple people and not have someone say just fucking eat :slight_smile:

My diet is too complicated I know it but basically I eat 8 meals a day , avg of about 40 grams of protein per meal, veggies with every meal just for health which is one of my goals, more carbs on the workout days, mostly fruits and veggies on non workout days. Lots of good fats everyday, fish oil, olive oil, nuts, alvcados.

I have to force down the food, but I have no problems gaining weight or losing it for that matter. I do have trouble gaining muscle though. Its always been either bigger/bulky out of shape looking or skinny/lean but never real ripped with a 6 pak, more of just a flat stomach.

[quote]DM246 wrote:
topgun322 wrote:
…Wife says that my frame wont hold much more weight and I will look terrible that my body is not meant to be big. She is an athlete, very fit and I guess she says she like me better leaner.

She’ll come around …or her sister will. ha ha [/quote]

can you show us a weekly lifting routeen?

It sounds like to me you gain 20lbs then notice you don’t have a 6 pack and decide your a fat basterd and cut back down, wich is wrong, FORGET your 6 pack for a year or so, focuse on getting big, make sure you train your legs. Worry about cutting down after you put on some muscle.

We have two beautiful girls so I aint going anywhere.
She thought I looked great at 175lbs, I actualy got a lot of compliments for being in shape and I look a lot younger than I am.
But I am not satisfied, I see folks on this website who look incredible,muscular and lean, Professor X is a stud, to me thats what real men look like.

But I dont end up looking like that, I start looking softer, waste is thicker , fat in the middle and then the face eventually gets heavier (though its fine now). I can handle most of that (face is going to real hard if it happens) IF I know I am on the right track.
But lets say I get up to 200lbs and all of this happens. people will comment , “hey you dont eat healthy anymore or whatever else they might say” and i dont have enough confidence to know that I am on the right track and that there is muscle along with the fat and I can just take the fat off.

Thats why I went slow hoping to gain a better % of muscle to fat.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
It depends on how your marriage is. If you have a good marriage (lots of sex, spending it not out of control, etc.), then you make compromises. Gain some weight but just don’t gain much fat if it’ll keep her happy.

If your marriage is lacking in other areas, who cares if your seeking your goals pisses her off? Sounds like she checked out of the marriage a long time ago.

Curious… How old were you when you got married? I don’t think anyone under 27 should even think about marriage. You are still finding yourself and building your career at that age. 30 is a better age for settling down, though as a male you can marry much later in life in American society.[/quote]

Show us your routeen. We can’t help you if you don’t show us what you do. and show us a meal plan.

Ok here is the meal plan. I know its complicated and over the top but it accomplishes my health goals as I gain weight. This is a workout day

Wake up
2 scoops whey
Banana
Grapes

Workout
BCAAS during

Post 620 cal 45 p 110 carbs
2 scoops whey
1 tsb raw honey
3/4 cup raisins

Meal 3
1 cup ff yougurt
1 scoop met drive
Veggies
1/2 cup blue berries
3 fish oil

Meal 4
Tuna
Apple
2 fish oil
veggies
1 cup yougurt
1/2 cup bb

Meal 5
Cottage cheese
whey for flavor tsb
1/2 alvocado
Veggies

Meal 6

6 oz chicken
2 ts nat pb
3 fish oil
Veggies

Meal 7 same

Meal 8
3 eggs
2 turkey bacon
2 fish oil
veggies
1 tsb olive oil

Meal 9
1 cup cc
tsb whey
3 fish oil
veggies
olive oil

Workout
I have some limitations as my shoulder hurts with some exercises like all barbell, uprows ,etc. Also when I try to do more my progress stops and shoulder gets sorer depending on what I added.

MON
Legs Back Bis

Squats 3x3

Leg Press 2x10

Rows 5x5 ramp up to 1 top set
or
Chins 4x6 weighted ramp up to 1 heavy

Cable Pull thrus

Curls DB or S. Bar 2x10
Abs

WED Chest, Shoulders, Tris

DB either flat or Incline Bench Presses 5x5 ramp up

Lateral raises 2x10

DB Shoulder Press 2x6 (sometimes i dont include)

Tris skulls or push downs, 2x10

Abs

FRIDAY

Repeat workout 1

I change workout about every 5 weeks and will do dead lifts sometimes instead of squats. I have to much more careful with heavy dead lifts as I have been hurt in the past with them so i will do pull thurs or dl from a rack most of the time.

quote]John S. wrote:
Show us your routeen. We can’t help you if you don’t show us what you do. and show us a meal plan.[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Who is it that has their panties in a twist? You are the one calling anyone who has something negative to say about her approach “women haters”. [/quote] No I didn’t. Some of the negative things that were said were perfectly OK. On the other hand, some were distinctly misogynist. [quote]Saying there isn’t a shortage of vaginas means you hate women? [/quote] I think it does. If you think and write of women as vaginas then you have a serious problem. There is a lot more to any woman than a vagina. [quote]Since when? THERE ISN’T A SHORTAGE OF VAGINAS.

Shit, they are fucking everywhere and by last estimates, they outnumber us. What the hell is wrong with you that this would offend you to that degree?[/quote]
There’s nothing “wrong” with me. Simply that I believe women deserve to be respected as individuals. Calling them “vaginas” is extremely disrespectful IMO.

When it comes to people having something wrong with them, I’m the one who’s been happily married for 18 years. What’s your track record?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
If you think and write of women as vaginas then you have a serious problem. [/quote]

Holy crap. Thinking and writing of women’s vaginas means you have a problem? What other pearls of wisdom are you hoarding in that clearly sexually repressed mind of yours?

I think of women’s vaginas daily. Who knew this was wrong? Thank you for showing me the light.

[quote]

There is a lot more to any woman than a vagina. [/quote]

Uh, who said that all there is to a woman is a vagina?

[quote]

There’s nothing “wrong” with me.[/quote]

Bullshit.

Where did I call women vaginas? I call women “women”. Women HAVE vaginas. Seriously, they teach this stuff in kindergarten nowadays. Maybe you need a remedial course.

I’m not married and currently don’t want to be. I like where I am currently financially and career-wise. To this point, I have accomplished what I set out to do and am now setting all new goals. Can you say the same?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
There’s nothing “wrong” with me. Simply that I believe women deserve to be respected as individuals. Calling them “vaginas” is extremely disrespectful IMO.

When it comes to people having something wrong with them, I’m the one who’s been happily married for 18 years. What’s your track record?
[/quote]

sharetrader, I think you have a vagina.

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
MON
Legs Back Bis

Squats 3x3

Leg Press 2x10

or

Cable Pull thrus

Curls DB or S. Bar 2x10
Abs

Lateral raises 2x10

Abs

FRIDAY

Repeat workout 1
[/quote]

Personally, I don’t like this workout plan. It looks like it is lacking volume. I think you should change to a 3 or 4 day split that will allow you to get more volume in your workouts. Why don’t you consider using one of the workouts on T-Nation as a template to help design your workout?

I have tried a lot of the different workouts. I dont progress after a couple workouts and I feel run down.

When I do higher reps I can almost dont get stronger when I get up to the weight I was at before.

At least now I am making progress, getting stronger, I can try add volume later but doing 4 x10 of squats using no weight just has never done anything for me.

I know it works for many but more volume just makes it harder for me to recover and it doesnt make me any stronger.

[quote]tpa wrote:
topgun322 wrote:
MON
Legs Back Bis

Squats 3x3

Leg Press 2x10

or

Cable Pull thrus

Curls DB or S. Bar 2x10
Abs

Lateral raises 2x10

Abs

FRIDAY

Repeat workout 1

Personally, I don’t like this workout plan. It looks like it is lacking volume. I think you should change to a 3 or 4 day split that will allow you to get more volume in your workouts. Why don’t you consider using one of the workouts on T-Nation as a template to help design your workout?[/quote]

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
At least now I am making progress, getting stronger.[/quote]

I don’t get it, is what your doing working or not? Earlier you came here looking for advice, now you’re telling me that what you’re doing is working?

[quote]
I can try add volume later but doing 4 x10 of squats using no weight just has never done anything for me.[/quote]

Actually I was thinking more like 10 x 3 instead of 4 x 10. This would allow you to use heavier weight and still get more volume. Have you ever actually tried 10 x 3 with heavy compound lifts (i.e. squat, deadlift, rows, presses) for more than 3 consistent weeks? In all honesty, your workouts look too easy. I think it would be quite difficult to progress with so few reps unless you are an advanced lifter using huge poundage.

Listen, the first few workouts that you increase volume…OF COURSE YOU ARE GOING TO BE SORE and recovery will take longer! Eventually your body will adapt and you will become less sore after these workouts.

Well what I really wanted to know was should I keep trying to gain weight.
Is it working, I dont know. My lifts are going up but I look worse than I did 10 lbs ok as I was lean and thin and now I am not lean and thin so that part no.

10x3 I have tried before but not very long I must say. Doing 10 sets on the same exercise I never liked but I would be willing to give that a try again.

The last time I got up to this weight I did a lot more volume and didnt increase the weights nearly as much. I figure if I can get my squat up to 400x1 (At 315 from 285) I would have to be bigger. Than I could go back and do reps in the 8-10 range at a much higher weight.

I dont understand your last sentence. It is much easier for me to progress strenght wise when i dont do a much volume. I just try and keep it in the low range for reps (IE 25) per muscle so I can come back and do it again.

So you only gained 10 pounds and no longer look lean?

Sorry buddy but I think you just gained 10 pounds of fat and your wife is calling bullshit on your supposed muscle gains. I think you need to get your diet in order and then go ahead and try to put on a good 20 lbs of lean muscle. If you actually do gain a good amount of muscle with a bit of fat, I doubt you will hear any complaints.

Soco

[quote]topgun322 wrote:
Well what I really wanted to know was should I keep trying to gain weight.
Is it working, I dont know. My lifts are going up but I look worse than I did 10 lbs ok as I was lean and thin and now I am not lean and thin so that part no.

10x3 I have tried before but not very long I must say. Doing 10 sets on the same exercise I never liked but I would be willing to give that a try again.

The last time I got up to this weight I did a lot more volume and didnt increase the weights nearly as much. I figure if I can get my squat up to 400x1 (At 315 from 285) I would have to be bigger. Than I could go back and do reps in the 8-10 range at a much higher weight.

I dont understand your last sentence. It is much easier for me to progress strenght wise when i dont do a much volume. I just try and keep it in the low range for reps (IE 25) per muscle so I can come back and do it again.

[/quote]

It isn’t like you are about to make that drastic of a physical change while staying “ripped” the entire time. That is why bodybuilders have “off seasons” and why, though this may come as a shock, they generally do not look their best during that time. That time is for growth and gains in strength.

Either accept and tell your wife to accept it or don’t expect that much change. Your gains will come EXTREMELY slow (if they come at all) if you plan on worrying that much about whether your body fat percentage increases a little.