ADD/ADHD?

I think I might have ADD or ADHD. This is why:

• I have difficulty concentrating
  • I have AWFUL short term memory (I will be told something and forget 30 seconds later)
  • I am always jittery, always shaking my foot or strumming my fingers on a table
  • My brain races like lightning. I think about things that I am interested in and my brain seems like its playing catch up.
  • Almost like I am thinking so fast that my brain is having difficulty functioning. A million thoughts sometimes go through my head at once

Now heres the thing. It is possible that I have self-prescribing the symptoms to myself. Meaning, I read a list of the symptoms and slowly find myself agreeing with them, even if they are not all necessarily true.

There was a time in middle school where I thought I had Marfan’s Syndrome because of this.

But the one thing which is slowly convincing me is really my awful short term memory. I really have a very hard time remembering instructions and lists of things.

Thanks

Sensible approach in thinking you may be talking yourself into it.

Get checked out by a professional.

I know very little about ADHD but I know there are some guys here on the site that have it. Maybe one of them will chime in if they can concentrate on reading your post for long enough (j/k!!!)

Good luck.

It sounds like you have it. That doesn’t mean you have it, but it’s a start.

Do you have troubles beginning big projects?
Finishing big projects?
How does caffeine affect you?

Really, the only way to truly tell is to go to a doctor. If you don’t go to the doctor, you could be very sure you have it, but who cares? what are YOU going to do about it besides live with it, which you would do even if you didn’t think you had it?

Symptoms of ADD are often caused by anxiety. If you get prescribed a stimulant and it doesn’t make you feel calmer, then start working on it through the anxiety route.

What you described is not inconsistent with hypomania either. If you really think you have a problem, get a professional with experience in adult ADD/ADHD to diagnose you appropriately rather than just speculating about it on a forum. If it isn’t much of a problem then carry on with the speculumating.

ADD/ADHD is psychiatric pseudoscience. It is nothing more than a label manufactured for the purpose of selling drugs and mental health services. In my opinion it is the single biggest disgrace in all of medicine.

Some people are not good at math, some are not good at art, some are not good at sports, etc. Another set of people are not good at paying attention. It is not a mental illness.

There is no doubt that the stimulant drugs used to treat ADD/ADHD will in fact improve your concentration and productivity. So will smoking a bowl of meth. That doesn’t mean it’s a sound medical treatment.

My advice is to adapt to your personality and stay the hell away from psychiatrists and their prescription crack.

Add drugs like ritalin are highly addictive amphetamines that cause permanent loss of brain mass and damage to cardiac tissue.

Before you go to a doctor check out this site http://adhdfraud.org/

Articles, essays, and other information pertaining to the fraud of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)–Compiled by Dr. Fred Baughman
Fred A. Baughman Jr., MD has been an adult & child neurologist, in private practice, for 35 years. Making “disease” (real diseases–epilepsy, brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, etc.) or “no disease” (emotional, psychological, psychiatric) diagnoses daily, he has discovered and described real, bona fide diseases.

It is this particular medical and scientific background that has led him to view the “epidemic” of one particular “disease”–Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)–with increasing alarm. Dr. Baughman describes this himself. Referring to psychiatry, he says:

“They made a list of the most common symptoms of emotional discomfiture of children; those which bother teachers and parents most, and in a stroke that could not be more devoid of science or Hippocratic motive–termed them a ‘disease.’ Twenty five years of research, not deserving of the term ‘research.,’ has failed to validate ADD/ADHD as a disease. Tragically–the “epidemic” having grown from 500 thousand in 1985 to between 5 and 7 million today–this remains the state of the ‘science’ of ADHD.”

In addition to scientific articles that have appeared in leading national and international medical journals, Dr. Baughman has testified for victimized parents and children in ADHD/Ritalin legal cases, writes for the print media and appears on talk radio shows, always making the point that ADHD is fraudulent–a creation of the psychiatric-pharmaceutical cartel, without which they would have nothing to prescribe their dangerous, addictive, Schedule II, stimulants for–namely, Ritalin (methylphenindate), Dexedrine (dextro-amphetamine), Adderall (mixed dextro- and levo-amphetamine) and, Gradumet, and Desoxyn (both of which are methamphetamine, ‘speed,’ ‘ice’).

The entire country, including all 5-7 million with the ADHD diagnosis today, have been deceived and victimized; deprived of their informed consent rights and drugged–for profit! It must be stopped. Now!

I have all those symptoms (especially bad when I can’t remember people’s names after they have told me them, gets to the point where I need to ask other people what their names are like 5-6 times in a night). I don’t believe ADD/ADHD exists really.
Some people are just like that.