Adarqui's Journal

train wreck race. body was broken down out of nowhere & it had nothing to do with the marathon.

long story short:

• got ~3 hours sleep.
  • left hip/left low back/right achilles were bugging from the start of the race.
  • left hip tweaked around mile 10. had to “safe run” 16 miles.
  • shut it down completely at mile 23 when my hip tweaked again. just jogged it in super slow.
  • half marathon split was ~2:50 projected marathon pace, and that was after running the last 3 miles of that 13.1 at 7+ … sucks :confused:
  • i was ~4th or 5th OA @ mile 15
  • I was ~8th or 9th OA @ mile 23 (still 2:58-2:59 marathon pace)
  • just couldn’t risk pushing it those last miles. plenty of time to run some great marathon times. made the decision to just let it slip away & it didn’t bug me at all. safety first.
  • i lost like ~10 minutes on my final 3.2 miles, 9:XX-10:XX min/mi pace :ninja:

apparently I made the Boston 2019 qualifying standard… but not the guaranteed acceptance time. pretty cool.

left hip/low back still hurting. hope it heals up quick.

going to take some rest days.

could have dropped something big. really sucks.

02/17/2019

diet:

• ate good

slept alot afterwards.

06:00 AM: (wreckage - race injuries) Fort Lauderdale Marathon: 18th OA / 3rd AG @ 3:09:33 ::: had to shut it down completely the last 3 miles (hip) /// significant left hip tweak @ mile 10, right achilles felt odd mile 1+ /// my first official marathon!

sucks but whatever. felt like I was in great shape for this. once the mile splits hit 7+ min/mi, i couldn’t keep it under 7 without my hip freaking out… felt something in there earlier on (+ low back), but it spazzed out on me around mile 10 or so. so then had to try and finish this damn thing without wrecking my hip. tried to start getting it back @ mile ~18 or so (worked with a good dude). kept it low 7’s (still 2:5X project) until mile ~22. then my hip tweaked bad (leg buckled) and had to shut it down + jog it in.

lame!

felt fine in my endorphin’s. which is pretty cool.

decent 10k (38.x)/half split(1:25). wanted to try and go for low 2:50’s.

several hours later, hip def feeling it but i don’t think it’s going to be anything major.

not sure what the fu*k was up with my achilles.

two potentially scary issues, will take a few days off and hope they disappear.

other than that, feel beat up as expected for running 26.2 in a road race.

really sucks. it was hot/humid but it didn’t bother me at all, which is cool. HR got pretty low for the ‘safe mode’ mileage (last 16 miles). had to stay below pain threshold.

thought about dropping out, but 7:XX was bearable so…

footer stats:

top3 finishes:
2019: 6/9
2018: 30/45
2017: 6/12
2016: 4/10
2015: 0/2
2006: 0/1

sub5 mi’s, sub3 1k’s:
2019: 0, 0
2018: 12, 15
2017: 1, 1
2016: 0, 0
2015: 0, 0

Impressive man. This was always a dream of mine. Seeing how you run and train I realize it was always a dream that I could never realize

1 Like

Thanks man!

Ah didn’t know that! That’s interesting & pretty cool.

I read a book recently which was heavily centered around the Boston Marathon - the story of Bill Rodgers. Incredible book. Also gave me some new perspective into why that marathon is so prestigious/important to people.

If you put running first for a few years, you never know. BUT, that’s probably something you wouldn’t want to do - and that’s fine. Lifting is fun. PL looks fun. Running is fun too but putting so much work in to BQ would mean setting everything else to the side for a while. If I still had dunking/lifting goals, it definitely would be hard for me to run/race like I do.

But ya those BQ times are hard. I missed the “guaranteed time” which is 3:05 for my age group. Had my body not been a mess today, I believe I would have crushed that. At the moment I shut it down (mile ~23), I thought about some of that stuff. But I also thought, why do I have to get it (sub3) right now? I can get it a few months from now or whatever, no need to rush it. Definitely feels good to be able to do that, especially when pushing it would have greatly increased the risk of more serious injury. Just hoping what i’ve got right now is nothing and disappears fairly soon. Kind of think it’ll be around for a week or so unfortunately, which means i’ll probably need an unplanned rest week. ;f

peace man!

2 Likes

You’ve made a very wise decision Andrew, you know your body and tried to keep a decent pace when you knew you didn’t have it.
When everything became rough you shut it down, wise.
HOWEVER remember when you’re running a great run and the body says oh I’m bad, a mile 23, that’s where you have to push through, that’s were the mental thing starts.
But this time around it was very wise.
EDIT: btw congrats on a PR on a not so stellar day.

2 Likes

I did run for almost two years. I worked up to 30-40 miles a week. Ran a couple of training half marathons just to get the distance. I love it but I was plodding along 7:50ish miles. Heavily upset an achellies when I switched to hokia shoes…tried to come back but just didn’t have the desire to push like I did before the injury. Took me almost 6 months before I could walk with out a limp. (I probably should have gone to the doctor…:man_facepalming:)

1 Like

yeah man, i definitely did.

left hip & right achilles are still tender. left hip actually improved more than right achilles. right achilles is kinda tight. hoping it is nothing.

yea apparently it was actually mile 22 as well. lol. 4.2 miles of slow jog. really frustrating, need to heal up and get back to being able to run, so i can just clear my head. might walk tomorrow.

and yea this definitely wasn’t mental (which you seem to understand, just stating). this was legit on the verge of real injury. I had to be very careful. once my left hip finally “almost gave out”, that was it. had it done it much earlier, I probably would have bailed out. At mile ~22 tho, I figured I could even just walk it in if I had to.

early on I had to be careful of my achilles. I figured it would disappear as I warmed up more. It stuck around, but definitely dissipated a bit. left hip just stuck around non-stop. if i pushed the pace to around under 7, it would start screaming.

thanks so much man!

1 Like

ah sick.

7:50 isn’t plodding though! that’s really solid.

people underestimate how hard it is to achieve certain speeds.

damn dude that really sucks :confused: yeah i’m always worried about my achilles tendons, even if they feel fine. any kinds of injuries there, freak me out. i’ve only had a few small ones luckily. hope this feeling I have in my right one is nothing.

sounds like yours was pretty significant though… 6 months with a limp from an achilles issue is no joke.

i worry about stuff like that when i train in different shoes. always have to be careful about that. that’s why i get frustrated when i find pairs of shoes that I love, buy a bunch of then, then can’t find them anymore.

one of the good things about most lifting-related injuries/tweaks is, you can still work around them and strengthen something else. with running, it’s mostly all or nothing. I mean either you can run, or you can’t. that’s definitely more stressful to me. and all running-related fitness gains can seemingly evaporate after 6 months. definitely hard to come back from running related injuries, i can see how you’d lose the desire to make a comeback.

i actually stopped doing contact sports because of injuries. stopped both basketball & boxing because you end up making so much progress & eventually get jacked up. that cycle sucks.

that’s why we have to be so careful.

health #1

peace man!

1 Like

A PR is a PR. Nicely done! Looks like with right race model and rest, you’re already in sub 3 shape. Really impressive work man!!

1 Like

much appreciated man!

yeah definitely. can’t wait to be back to 100% so i can get back at it. probably taking another day off tmw.

i’ll probably go on some sub3 paced long runs in the future. need to start occasionally hitting some high quality long runs with good pace.

thanks alot!

this cracked me up.

2 Likes

someone hooked me up w/ a nice shot.

this will frustrate me for a long time, until I fix it (with a big performance)… hehe.

on pace to try and drop something big:

jogging it out:

sucks.

been resting. took 4 days rest before i couldn’t feel my right achilles being “tender” anymore. so got a light run in!

other than that, legs felt great. only sore on monday night, then felt fine every other day. nuts.

02/22/2019

07:15 AM: (after 4 days rest) /// very light: 1h26m ::: (grass, good overheat, feel ok) /// felt left hip very slightly at 8:5X so slowed it down, right achilles felt ok

legs felt great after marathon, but left hip/right achilles needed to heal. right achilles was worse the first few days after the marathon. left hip seemed ok. but on the run today, actually felt my left hip/back a few times & didn’t feel achilles at all. good news about the achilles i guess (achilles stuff always freaks me out). need this hip/back shit to disappear it’s weird. top of right foot along the big toe side hurts a bit too.

will just keep going super slow until i feel 100%.

overheat was solid, HR kept going up even with such a slow pace. was cookin.

1 Like

Impressive work man. Only runner on here vs letsrun.

Ever considering doing more lifting and lowering the distance to see what happens?

thanks man!

some great former runners tho!

ya, not sure of anyone on here really focusing on running at the moment. I know a few were thinking about it though, especially in the context of triathlons/ironman.

T-Nation is probably my first strength & conditioning forum I ever joined, way back in ~2004 or so. So even though there’s not too many runners on here, it’s still full of decent people who train hard & consistent. I like that. ;d

I’m not a fan of letsrun at all. From what i’ve seen, that forum is full of trolls and garbage posts. I signed up for it but never posted. Some decent threads on there but most of the ones I read get derailed. I don’t like all of the “ego shit”, “shit talk”, and the “nonstop accusing elite athletes of drugs”. Plenty of legit performances out there, that people try and diminish.

That was actually the plan for 2019… looks like i’ve done the complete opposite :smiley:

I’m just not into lifting anymore. As much as I want to be, I can’t even bring myself to do some simple bodyweight calisthenics that I used to enjoy, like pullups/dips etc. But somehow I can bring myself to run 2+ hours with extra clothes on in the heat.

Two of the main reasons I wanted to lift hard in 2019:

1. more horse power for the mile
  2. i’d get leaner

I was way leaner on avg when I was into dunking. All of that heavy lifting put some decent muscle on my lower body, which helped me stay leaner. With less muscle, I maintain more fat, because I eat alot. hah. The only time I got very lean while running, I had to watch my diet like crazy and I was putting in 100 mile weeks for a month. So I guess I could get back to running 100 mile weeks, but IMHO it actually had more to do with diet. If I ate like I do now, I wouldn’t have gotten as lean. I was doing high volume + restricting my diet, not the best combo IMHO.

I plan on doing tons and tons of hills in 2019 though, which in my mind is the natural equivalent to “lifting” for running.

The only other thing i’d probably love doing, which would eat into my running addiction, would be hitting a heavy bag. If there was a good, cheap, real boxing gym near by, i’d definitely go there. Not to spar/fight or anything anymore tho, simply to hit the heavy bag. That’s one thing I really enjoy, and it puts some good strength on the upper body. That’s some good cardio, miss it. I’d definitely do that. Would be some good cross training I bet… lots of shoulder power/coordination, cardio, upper strength, give the legs a break → great for running.

peace man!

1 Like

oh also.

i’ve done run + lift a few times before, didn’t like the combo much. i could probably figure it out, but it always taps into my volume considerably. feel stale with it, can end up getting too sore - effecting my gait & causing some issues etc. my 6 month lay off came when I was trying to combine run + lift, left patella got wrecked. That was like ~2 years ago.

one “hybrid” i’ve experimented successfully with, is high volume walking lunges (10-20 minutes non stop etc). Gives me a good cardiovascular/lactate threshold effect, and some considerable time under tension in some deep ROM’s. initially makes my hamstrings/glutes/quads insanely sore. Once I get adapted though, legs can feel pretty good. If anything, I should have kept that up for 2019. I enjoy it, feel some very positive effects from it, BUT: out of nowhere I can start experiencing some old knee issues resurface. So, while it works good for the most part, some old injuries i’ve experienced can pop up and freak me out.

running only, has kept me pretty healthy. this latest hip issue is scaring me a bit tho. have to be careful.

in the end though, I deep down believe most of my speed/endurance capabilities will come from more miles.

the difference between me and some “teenage girls” (respect!) who would smoke me in a mile or 5k, is not the leg strength IMHO, it’s the heart, lungs, capillary density etc. Stuff like that. Sure you have running economy etc, but man i’ve seen some “awful form” and such, that just smokes me. They can just keep up those paces because of the oxygen delivery/lactate buffering etc. In order to get on the level I want to be on, I need a MASSIVE aerobic engine, which (to me) means I need to just keep putting in endless hours running, even if it’s slow etc. So in my mind it’s hard to justify doing anything else at the moment. Sure some things might actually help to keep me healthier etc, or somehow contribute to the overall puzzle, but in my experience so far, just running has done that the best. So many oldschool runners i’ve studied who did that as well, just run, years on end, and transform into monsters. There’s lots of different ways to get to the same end result I imagine tho.

on the flip side… for dunking, I couldn’t get my hops up just jumping. Had to lift insanely hard to get those gains, and then keep lifting hard otherwise the gains would slowly evaporate. My legs were beast af back then, a different kind of beast tho.

just some thoughts on it.

peace man!!

1 Like

My dunking was best when I was lifting very little - I’m talking 2 days a week, low volume full body stuff. Course I only weighed 185/190. Lifting makes me gain weight pretty quickly. Heaviest I ever dunked at was 215 before I blew out my knee. And was lifting seriously then.

I’d say for running, a good cross training 2 days a week would be rowing plus pushups day 1 and boxing plus core day 2.

1 Like

That’s a nice reputation you’re getting there. Give it time and it’ll be the dude who shows up and wins everything.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Yea definitely a bit cool. Would love to be a threat in the biggest races, especially the big races where people from out of state come down, like that FTL marathon. It’s not an elite race but, had people from all over racing it. I know I can win races like that, just need to stay patient & keep working, kinda like you mentioned below.

Hah ya maybe. Hard to do across every distance. There’s some serious beasts out here. If I could get to the level where i’m a legit threat across any distance, i’d be very happy. From mile to ultra. That kind of range is basically my obsession. It’s pretty rare too.

peace man!

2 Likes

Ah funny, like the exact opposite of me. I was lifting 1+ times a day & weighed 145-150 lb. hah.

I was a big fan of “high frequency squatting”, as well as “high frequency heavy high rep squatting”. Did heavy 20 reppers and such basically daily, sometimes multiple times per day, for months. Loved it. Made my legs feel bionic lmao.

ah damn.

fuck man injuries suck.

still able to dunk now? I know I can’t, not even close. I almost landed one in like 2016, when I was making a come back. But then got addicted to running, and that was the end of that.

never rowed, but hear it’s solid.

boxing training would be awesome. All of the good “hardcore” boxing gyms have disappeared. The big global mma gyms basically dominate now, which sucks. I’ve tried getting them to drop the price for membership, because i’d only go in there to hit the bag like 4x/month. But they aren’t willing to work with people. Instead, it’s like $130 or something flat rate, no matter the usage. Just on principle I can’t do it. Would be nice if some other gym opened up tho that I don’t know about. I’ll actually check around. Finding a place to hit a bag would be awesome tbh, it’s such a great workout and it’d be some solid cross training. I had my hopes up on it way back, a few times. Couldn’t find anywhere, it was sad. American Top Team had an awesome bag I used to hit, was huge, loved it so much. It’s a big one, probably 150 lb.

On a related note, it’s funny thinking back to when I trained there, about the convos I had with people/pros/coaches there, regarding running.

People would talk about the road/track sessions they’d do, and apparently everyone was running 4 minute miles. lol.

Now that I actually run, I know that they probably had no idea how fast they were really running.

for example, one of the coaches said he’d wakeup every morning and run 3 miles in 15-16 minutes. I mean it’s possible but highly unlikely. Now that I know how hard it is to run that fast, doing it daily like that would be absolutely nuts. lmao!

Not dogging them, but just funny thinking about how people embellish stuff… ie like dads of high school football athletes, who apparently all ran 4.4 40’s and benched 405 lb.

It’s one thing I love about having official stats (meet results, road race results etc). Even if I wanted to lie, I can’t. I love it. With vert etc, once I didn’t have access to a vertec, I had to use “forearm measurement” etc at various rims. And that always turned into big “hater debates” on the internet. You still see stuff like that all over youtube/social media etc. I mean it’s just great being involved with something where it’s all official lmfao. I guess you could get the “short course” in running though… The “2018 Mercedez Benz Miami 5k” was 0.25 miles short and the results were posted to athlinks, literally everyone “PR’d” lmao. Local runners were pissed at how a timing company could make such an enormous mistake.

It’s interesting that you don’t see MMA/Boxing “teams” at local running events. You’d think it would be a good way to recruit. Have some of their fittest guys run and try to get top3. Then have a booth with their team etc. I’ve never seen that.

pc!

going to try eating a spinach salad per day, from now through march. 1 bag of spinach + some other things to mix it up.

i’m just not eating enough greens lately.

02/23/2019

09:00 AM: very light: 1h33m ::: (grass/dirt/rocks, brutal overheat, no hip pain!) /// lmao @ my HR & pace!

substantial water loss. heavy clothes. knocked me out. afterwards just passed out for hours.

hip/low back/achilles felt good, but i was also going very slow.

probably one more run tomorrow, then rest monday.

1337. :trollface:

i passed out for 3+ hours after that run… dehydrated to fu*k. wrecked me. felt great all day afterwards tho.

left knee/back a little achy before bed tho. hope it’s fine tmw.

want to get in a light long run then rest monday.