Adarqui's Journal

mod speed day.

tmw = rest!

10/21/2018

<= 4:59 mile vs <= 2:59 km:

• 8 (sub5) + 5 (sub3) = 13 of 50, 37 to go!

top3 finishes:
2018: 25/34 (stay healthy!)
2017: 6/12
2016: 4/10
2015: 0/2
2006: 0/1

diet:

• ate good. lots of orange juice/bananas. some beet juice. a 1/2 lb burger. more bananas. celebrated with some chocolate almonds (bad idea).

workout: 08:00 PM: mod speed (4:58 mile) + light long run (1.5 hr total) ::: (grass, crazy windy - made the mile much tougher)

4th <= 4:59 mile of the week. nice.

wind was really rough. before starting it i was like… how am i going to do this - lol. but got it done.

tmw = rest.

my HR was great through the first half of that mile, then it blew up (if accurate).

2nd half of that mile was def tougher. ended up being brutal towards the end.

getting better at sticking it out tho.

4th sub5 this week! :ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning:

thinking about hitting an easy 1k tuesday morning, and a HARD 1k+ on tuesday evening.

that officially ends the best week of running i’ve ever had.

seriously, nothing has ever come close to that, in the ~3 years i’ve been focusing on running.

2016: sub5 mile (0), sub3 1k (0).
2017: sub5 mile (1), sub3 1k (1).
2018: sub5 mile (8), sub3 1k (5) … so far.
2018 week 42: sub5 mile (4), sub3 1k (3). ← just one week of the year… lmao.

it will be a while before that happens again. I mean, I might be able to keep hitting <= 4:59 miles & <= 2:59 k’s, but the way this happened, just an unexpected onslaught of solid efforts at my goal paces, all week long… going to be a while before something matches that, I imagine. Maybe winning a bunch of huge races in the same week could come close, with big PR’s. dno. hah.

1 Like

just ordered some vic3’s (nike zoom victory 3):

found some cheap ones on ebay. def need a “variety” of spikes. running in the same spikes every time could become a problem, so need another pair or two to mix it up.

if I like these, I might get the red variation. that kenya red son.

:smiley:

2 Likes

work been nuts.

yesterday was crazy, didn’t get much sleep… this basically sums it up:

srs…

2 PR posts coming up!

1 Like

TLDR: 1km @ 2:49 + 800m split @ 2:15

4:34 min/mi pace for the 1k!

PR!

hard speed!

placeholder: boom! another 1k (2:49) & 800m (2:15) lifetime PR. :personal-record: :personal-record: :personal-record:

10/23/2018

• 8 (sub5) + 7 (sub3) = 15 of 50, 35 to go!

top3 finishes:

diet:
TODO:

boom.

boom.

boom.

:ibrunning:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpR6RQYBqeE/

08:00 AM: workout: wtf at the first half of this 1km (PR)? 1km @ 2:49 (4:34 min/mi, 13.23 mph, PR!), first 800m = 2:15 (PR!) ::: hard speed (grass, spikes)

wanted to hit the first half alot harder, definitely did that.

this 1km was easier than my previous 2:49.

HR was solid! definitely a little cooler out today, which is great. First cool day in a loooong time. moar plz, thnx.

workout: 06:30 PM:mod speed (track, spikes): {1km @ 2:58 / 4:46 min/mi, 0.63 mi @ 3:00} + {200m @ 30.1}

TLDR:

4:47 mile!! -2s PR.

~12.5 mph for nearly 5 minutes! boop!

fastest 1km split = 3:00 … dammit! almost had it. I mean I mathematically had it (4:47 mile implies 2:59 or faster 1km), but not by the data… probably slowed up midway and “broke” the 1km split.

hard speed!

mile PR!!! :personal-record: :personal-record: :personal-record: :ibrunning:

4:47

10/25/2018

• 9 (sub5) + 7 (sub3) = 16 of 50, 34 to go!

top3 finishes:

diet:

• ate good
  • beet juice after first workout
  • lots of bananas & orange juice

workout: 08:00 AM: mod speed = {mile @ 5:08, km split = 3:09, started off too slow} ::: (grass, spikes, dead/tired) /// breaking in new spikes - nike zoom victory 3!

new spikes feel comfy.

sleep got wrecked a few days ago. today still feeling it. hoping to feel normal tonight (mod speed + light long)!

workout: 08:30 PM: big mile PB = 4:47 !!! (grass, spikes)

THE ELUSIVE SUB3 km PLUS SUB 5 mile eludes me yet again!!!

only thing i’m annoyed about, is how my garmin data says “4:48”, but when the mile beeped, it said 4:47, and on my watch it says 4:47… similar to my 29.97 200m last week, that showed in the data as 30.0. kinda odd.

happy.

:smiley:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpYTYb4hEtu/

[quote]boom. big mile PB. 4:47 (-2s) on grass w/ #spikes. felt this coming for the last week. pretty much held it at 4:50 then kicked it down to get the 4:47. then i let off a big yell​:running_man::muscle::pick::hammer::kenya::us::nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue:
almost sub4:40, that’s a big number for me, because it’s the “All American Track Standard” for the mile in the 35-39 age group. would love to get that before the year is up, pretty confident i will :nerd_face: must stay focused and get it.
also, my #artiken bracelet. :kenya::stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

DANG man nice running my friend.
PR’s raining over here.
Be careful not to blow up and wreck the rest of the year with recovery.
Like lifting you’re digging in to CNS with the hard runs and pr’s for short distances.
But you know what you’re doing and you are listening very well to your body.
Again well done, you’re really running fast.

1 Like

Good grief man. That mile is awesome

1 Like

thanks so much @mortdk!

yea man, definitely have to be careful with “over-doing” it. I feel great with the reduced volume but increased intensity/frequency though. Plus, i’m doing this on grass, that really helps. If I was doing these sessions on track/road, i’d definitely be more beat up.

each effort I try to adjust it based on how I feel. That’s why in the morning I ran that 5:08. I could have tried much harder but, I knew i’d be digging too deep - feeling as crappy as I was feeling. So I held back more, and figured i’d try again in the evening. Ended up feeling great in the evening so I pushed it hard. Mid-way into the mile effort, I knew I was feeling good enough to complete it at near PB level, so I just went for it.

when I used to dunk, I went through periods (of a month or more) where I could dunk HARD every day. I feel like i’m in one of those periods again, but with running. In those high frequency dunk sessions, i’d switch up how hard I was going based on how fresh I felt. Sometimes i’d do full runup (when I felt great), sometimes i’d try from a shorter runup (when I felt stale), but either way - i’d try to land some dunks. Legs felt so good back then. Basically feel the same way now, just less thick lmfao. The high frequency speed sessions seem to make my legs feel very good.

My calves have also felt MUCH BETTER since switching to this style of training. I had mentioned several times in this journal, that my achy calves often feel better after hard speed. So they’d be achy as hell doing slow running, then i’d do a hard speed session, and they’d feel great. That intensity seems to do me good.

The 1k vs 1mile alternating seems to be solid too. 200-800 is much faster. > 1 mile is annoyingly slow. So that spectrum of 1k<->1mile seems to allow me to crank up the intensity for the 1k, and crank up the torture for the mile. They both help each other I imagine. In 2019 i’ll add 200,400,800 to the battle, that should be interesting. :smiley:

I feel like my CNS is peaking right now. None of these sessions leave me feeling drained. I think that’s a great sign. Just one hard/mod-hard effort and relax. Love it.

Thanks man!

1 Like

hah thanks so much man!!

yea it’s getting decent! i’m closing in on running as fast as an elite national record holding 16 year old girl, lmfao.

Katelin Tuohy has a 4:33.7 mile American Record at 16 years old. She’s a freak. That’s like 13.25 mph sustained. She also has a 15:37 5k, i’m nowhere close to that hah.

That’s absolutely flying.

I plan on running faster than a 16 year old girl for at least the mile… have to stay focused and man the fu*k up.

:slight_smile:

The mile can be some serious pain. But at least you get to go “fast”. It’s a really good balance IMHO.

If I can get into the low 4:3X’s around here eventually, that’d put me in top spot contention in every mile road race, that’s how fast 4:3X’s are… lmao.

4:2X-4:3X has you winning national championships at 40+ years old.

I want that.

8|

peace man!

1 Like

yesterday:

race day, kinda!

10/27/2018

• 9 (sub5) + 7 (sub3) = 16 of 50, 34 to go!

top3 finishes:
2018: 26/35 (stay healthy!)

diet:

• orange juice/rxbar before race
  • veggies and such after race
  • bananaas/koia before bed

race: 7:30 AM: Trick or Trot 5k: 2nd OA, first mile hard (5:13.9), next two light /// 5k still ended up being 18:29, best first mile in a 5k

wanted to hit the first mile under 5 but felt pretty crappy. boop. didnt check data yet, but think i went out faster than i should have (like 4.4x). humid af too eh.

got my best ever first mile in a 5k tho, so that’s cool. by < 1s.

going to keep trying to get that first mile down in a 5k. just bugs me that my body holds me back (when the distance is longer). it’s something i’m trying to override. 8|

that highlighted ‘tick’ is where i stopped running sub5 for that effort.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpcQSs8BaOK/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

2 Likes

TLDR: massive PB: 2 miles @ 10:36 (5:18 min/mi = 5:15 + 5:21). First time going under 11:03… crushed it.

speed and long.

mod speed and long!

MASSIVE PR! :personal-record: :personal-record: :personal-record:

10/28/2018

• 9 (sub5) + 8 (sub3) = 17 of 50, 33 to go!

top3 finishes:

diet:

• orange juice/rxbar before AM session
  • almonds, orange juice, rxbar after session
  • broccoli/cauliflower/yam stir fry + orange chicken
  • second workout
  • more orange juice, rxbars, bananas etc

08:00 AM: workout: hard speed (1050m @ 3:05 / 4:47 min/mi, 1km @ 2:58) + light long (1 hr @ 10:XX to 7:0X) ::: (grass, spikes, quads dead, temperature = incredible, headwind = brutal)

omfg at this weather. yesterday was absolutely awful. today was amazing (first real cool day since spring). hopefully there will be more of this to come.

quads pretty sore… kinda nuts considering i didn’t really do anything yesterday. maybe i’m just not used to roads anymore, and they beat me up.

that wind was really brutal… potentially a deceptively good 1km, especially with dead quads.

well that’s crazy - ENORMOUS PB: 2 mile @ 10:36 (5:18 = 5:15 + 5:21) → first time going under 11:03… (grass, spikes, pitch dark, legs kinda dead) :: Abraham Kiptum inspired.

i’ve been in search of sub11 for nearly 2 years - and just crushed it.

also massive 3000m PR: 9:54 (-26s), sub10

i basically turned a dead-leg mile into a 2 miler. halfway through the first mile I was like ok, this is stale, let me just hold it for 2 miles. and it worked. was rough but mostly mentally. felt pretty good.

will write more later maybe.

oh ya, weather was amazing today/tonight. finally cooled off… was like ~70F tonight, 68F this morning, low humidity. That’s amazing running weather for SFL… lmao.

:ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning:

:personal-record: :personal-record: :personal-record:

:ibjumping: :ibjumping: :ibjumping:

:personal-record: :personal-record: :personal-record:

crazy…

so happy.

2 Likes

IM NOT HERE TO FUCK SPIDERS.

lol this won’t post.

3 Likes

You damn sure aren’t

1 Like

Thanks alot @MarkKO!

Yea man. I want to “go to war”. Still have a long ways to go before I can battle some serious folks (the sub15 5k crowd, sub4:30 mile crowd etc), but that’s what I want so I can’t hide from the pain, have to go full force into it, while also being smart about it. Health #1

GOGETIT.

peace man!

2 Likes

Posted this today, love how it came out. I’ve been looking at wolf photos alot the last week. The photos with fangs and such are ok, but I prefer these shots: under control, always deadly.

As far as training & competing goes, I often mention: i’m simply just trying to become more of an animal. That’s how I eventually approached dunking, and now running. ie just strip away the mental/physical restraints. Create “survival adaptations”. Try to exert effort with a clear mind - not overthinking etc. I just want to zone out and battle at a high level. High frequency + high intensity seems to always work for me. Biggest thing is staying healthy. Have to push myself hard but also be intelligent about it.

Maybe it sounds funny or weird but, it’s how I truly think about it. For dunking, high frequency heavy/high rep squatting + high frequency dunk sessions was the recipe. For running, high frequency hard running seems similar. I used to do multiple heavy high rep squatting sets per day etc, this feels similar. I mean a mile or 1km feels similar to high rep squat sets. You get the acid, breathing, doubts, and you have to regroup/stay focused and keep banging out the reps until the set is done.

My body/mind def feels now, more like it did when I was peak dunking. Which is a great feeling. Legs always feeling strong/powerful. Mind aggressive etc. Good stuff. Have to keep it going.

Yesterday really stressed the tops of my feet tho. Think I tied my shoes too tight again. Both tops of feet are sore. Sometimes that can get pretty bad. Hopefully it’s gone tomorrow. Tying shoes too tight is such a problem for me, lmao. When the adrenaline is flowing, it’s easy to not realize they are too tight, until afterwards and then it’s like holy shit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BphN3nDh6tI/

2 Likes

You’re crushing it man good running in here.

1 Like

Thanks so much man. When you running that km??? :smiley:

rest!

10/29/2018

• 9 (sub5) + 8 (sub3) = 17 of 50, 33 to go!

top3 finishes:

diet:

• veggie stir fry for breakfast with orange chicken
  • bananas/beet juice/rxbar for lunch
  • cookies & cream milkshake with shipped cream around 7:30 PM, so damn good.
  • turkey sandwich + 3 bananas + zak the baker sourdough + irish butter

i need to start gearing myself up for 1.25 mile runs @ sub5 pace.

i feel like i’m capable. i have to try hard to extend this 4:5X pace out, occasionally. 2 miles under 10 will be enormous. must keep working towards it.

i feel like 2 miles under 10 is a good precursor towards extending it out much further → because if you can get 2 in 10, you know what you’re doing now.

also need to get to bed earlier… and train earlier… :smiley:

so tired of these lack of sleep/crap warmup races. i mean i come home after the race and crash for 4 hours and such. that’s a bad sign. i don’t crash after my morning sessions where I go even harder, but get enough sleep.

gn!

1 Like

That would probably be in january. Right now I’m trying hard to be a fat ass.

It could be the mental thing during a race, or is it because you don’t sleep the night prior to the race?

Now you just focus on these 50 sub5 and 3’s before you put your focus on something else.
Then 2019 will be the year to chase 2M under 10 that would be crazy btw.

1 Like