Adarqui's Journal

Two things man.
That ear problem sounds stupidly annoying, hope you’ll sort it out quickly.
The wasp spike was kind of funny :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man! ya hope so too.

If it was 95% wrecked last night before sleep, it’s 85% wrecked upon waking up for this race… makes me happy. :smiley:

hahah ya. I was laughing initially, but then I stopped laughing when I realized they were relentless haha.

I think this is what helped: ran onto the concrete sidewalk. Prior to that, I kept running in grass, and they just kept on me. Once I moved over the sidewalk, they disappeared. I’ll remember that next time lmao.

I must have run over a “nest”. Lawn cutters were there, probably made them psychotic-pissed.

pc!

1 Like

right ear still fucked, but slightly better.

30th race this year… 22 for 30 top3.

09/08/2018

bw = 141
bw before bed last night = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = right ear deaf, left ear kinda taxed too
aches upon getting out of bed: none
calves painful to touch/massage = ?
cramping = none
morning quad flexibility = loose
morning hamstring flexibility = loose, less clicky
morning calf flexibility = loose
morning adductor flexibility = loose
lateral hamstring tendons = achy
toenails: 2 left/2 right, but they’ve improved alot
feel = good
hours sleep: ~6
wakeup = 05:15 AM

sub5 mile or sub3 km splits in 2018: 4 (mi) + 1 (km) = 5 of 50 :ibrunning:

• sub5’s: …, 2018/07/14
  • sub3’s: …

top3 finishes:
2018: 22/30 (stay healthy!)
2017: 6/12
2016: 4/10
2015: 0/2
2006: 0/1

data collected throughout the day when I have my watch on:
HR low: ?
HR high: ?

log:
05:25 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
06:45 AM: quick warmup + race: Coral Springs Remembrance 5k: 2nd OA @ 18.04 official / 17:50 estimate ::: felt good but cant hear for shit
07:30 AM: food: rxbar, water
08:30 AM: food: subway: flatbread bacon egg & cheese (really good wtf?), jalapeno chips, orange juice
11:00 AM: food: chocolate protein drink, water
11:30 AM: nap: 3 hours (damn i was knocked out)
04:00 PM: food: rxbar, rebbl golden milk, water
05:00 PM: food: rxbar, rebbl lemon turmeric drink (wrecked my stomach), water
06:30 PM: water
08:00 PM: workout: light + speed + strength (road, deaf ear): 1h:27m @ {speed: 0.31mi/515m, 1:27 / 4:31 min/mi / 13-14 mph} + {strength: lunges, 400 yd in 15:36} :: legs completely toast after those lunges
09:30 PM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, mixed nuts, 2 x banana, water
11:20 PM: food: 2 x orange juice

06:45 AM: quick warmup + race: Coral Springs Remembrance 5k: 2nd OA @ 18.04 official / 17:50 estimate ::: felt good but cant hear for shit

• 4.0 mi Run Activity on September 8, 2018 by Andrew D. on Strava
  • Coral Springs Remembrance 5K
  • Athlinks
  • 2nd OA @ 18:04 official / 17:50 estimated (this course is long)
  • actually felt pretty good
  • couldn’t hear myself breathe, which was good & bad
  • didn’t go with 1OA, wanted too but, just had no idea how i’d run so, didn’t battle… :confused:
  • should have kicked harder at the end.
  • ran in a jersey … wanted to stay cooler
  • ran pretty decent → haven’t done any 5k-ish training for like 2 weeks… just speed this week, and still dropped this at a lighter effort than usual. strength is key for me. makes everything easier. must continue to focus on bumping my 1RM up (1km/1mile), that’s what makes me strong.

basically the same time/splits as last year, also the same overall placing. last year’s race was November 18th tho.

funny, it’s pretty much an identical performance.

hope my ear unclogs soon, driving me nuts. barely being able to hear myself breathe was kinda interesting though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnexZ8LFoUw/

TODO: post comparison from last year (i remember it’s so similar)

08:00 PM: workout: light + speed + strength (road, deaf ear): 1h:27m @ {speed: 0.31mi/515m, 1:27 / 4:31 min/mi / 13-14 mph} + {strength: lunges, 400 yd in 15:36} :: legs completely toast after those lunges

legs spazzing out as i walked home… heh.

have to be careful with lunges obviously … bringing them back because i’m resting more. the 1 thing that scares me when i do them is, sometimes i feel it in that left knee patella area that i injured last year. need that to not flare up.

1 Like

2018 vs 2017

pretty similar:

2018 (top) vs 2017

2018 (top) vs 2017

crazy… :smiley:

actually ran better (way easier) today. 2017 was a battle, pushed myself to the limit. today i ran “comfortable” because of the ear b.s.

kinda cool.

1 Like

ear update: less pressure, but still loss of hearing. so, slight improvement. haven’t messed with it as much today. did a few “irrigations” with the squirt bottle etc, but giving it a break today.

1 Like

Well done on the race 2’nd place and an easy run.
Awesome, the speed work is paying off.

1 Like

Silver! Keep kicki’n ass out there bruv!

Thanks alot @mortdk. Yea man, it is. I think I just respond better to more speed training. I didn’t do any specific 5k prep for this race, but felt really good at some decent paces. That’s just the technique that seems to work for me: get my 1RM up (1km/1mile) and then just make sub-max efforts easier to rep out. I have decent speed when I turn it on, ie in shorter intervals, just a sign that my body can produce that kind of power so might as well nurture it more.

Appreciate those suggestions man! Solid plan. I personally can’t stick to plans, never really have been able to. So, can’t stick to something like that (or any set-in-stone structure).

However, the key components I actually plan on implementing, ie the intervals. I already do the “steady hard efforts with finishing kick”, that really makes me strong. I’m definitely missing the “hold back” repeat intervals though. I used to do them alot more back then, but stopped, they are pretty draining for me. I actually got faster when I stopped doing them. HOWEVER, I think it’s still a tool I should be bringing back in somewhat frequently (at least 1x/1-2wk). Specifically, repeat 400’s/800’s. I need to be slowly getting better at doing 4-12 x 400, and 4-8 x 800 etc. The key for me here is simply holding back, short jog rest/recovery, repeat. To me that’s pretty brutal, even if it’s at a pace I can hit comfortably in a race etc. Something about “starting/stopping” that wrecks me alot more than one hard non-stop effort. But, that’s a weakness so, I have to address it. I mean if I want to be on another level, I need to be able to hit 12 x 400m @ 4:5X pace (1:13s) with 1min light jog recovery etc, or similar for 800’s.

Edit: I’ve tried strict intervals before, a few times. I always under perform. So I just need to use them as an accessory tool, and not put my hopes in them - like lots of people seem to do. For some people they work very well.

I like to think of getting faster as “tying the knot”, ie hitting the extremes on each side of the spectrum the hardest. So, hit my speed really hard, and get my long light mileage in (non-draining). Whenever I spend time specifically in the middle, I really get slow. So, instead I seem to respond better when I get my strength/power up on the speed extreme, and address my postural/mental strength on the light/long side of the spectrum.

I spent alot of time in the middle itself for ~3 weeks or so in the last 1.5 months, man did I end up feeling like absolute crap. Lots of work in the 6:XX/7:XX range really “broke me”. I couldn’t even hit 4:5X pace on strides, it was nuts. Some other stuff probably contributed but, this has happened to me before, so I know for sure it’s an awful way for me to train.

One hard effort @ 4:4X-4:5X pace with lots of light running, seems to prepare me better for a 5k than 3-5 mile steady (slower) tempo etc, it’s kind of nuts. But, I think it’s just how i’m built. My body adapts strongly to how i’m training, and if I spend time in the middle, it really ends up draining my power and reducing my “1RM”.

Plus, my 5k races themselves are rarely “even”. I run my best 5k’s when I go hard early, and just die/hold on from mile 1.5-2+.

All of my numbers seem to point to me being stronger in the speed department:

That’s kinda funny. Waaay faster than I am slow-fast. :f

So yea, need to drop more sub5’s and sub3’s to finish up 2018. I really don’t want to get dusted in November/December. Need to sharpen my power/strength from now until then.

I also plan, once again, to bring back high rep lunges. Last night I did 15m36s worth. It’s a serious strength stimulus for me, in my glutes/hamstrings/quads. Now that I plan to rest more, I think i’ll be able to stick to it & implement it effectively. Just have to be smart/careful about it. Glutes/hams/quads are lit up today… lol. Need to re-adapt.

In terms of my all out efforts, I plan to hit 400m to 1.5 mile segments hard. That gets me ready for 1mile races. Then, in 5k races, hit 2 mile hard w/ 1.1 hold on. For longer distances, just need some nicer weather (soon). If i’m in good mile/5k shape, I have no problem hitting 10k/half at decent paces, mile/5k strength means i’m strong enough to hold back on those and hit something respectable.

peace man!

1 Like

Hey man I totally understand you, training hard with a purpose is really hard.
So I would suggest you at least do one day a week doing either 400 or 6-800 m with a pace a bit faster than your 1K pace or 1M pace.
Rest should be longer than you think, you have to be fully recovered for each interval. I wouldn’t do 12 intervals that’s way to hard, about 5 - 6 400 m or 3 - 4 800 m.
Put in some distance before and after.
But you seem to be doing well and all this is just suggestions, you know your body and know what works.
Keep up the good solid work man.

1 Like

yup.

when I mentioned up to 12 x 400, that’s specific to 5k. But ya, i’ve done that several times and it’s not the best indicator for me. So probably should keep it lower & faster. Good advice.

I remember getting good at 4 x 400m with 1min recovery. Thought that would translate very well to my mile races. Did a mile race on that, epic failure. Got tired at 400m. It’s like I was training myself to relax at 400m heh. I then switched it up to all out 1k-1mile efforts in training. Next two mile races I crushed it. That’s been my experience with intervals, just feel like I program myself to want recovery.

Thanks alot man. I appreciate the input and you bring up great points/suggestions.

The DOMS from last night’s lunges is starting to really kick in… might be wrecked tomorrow ;f

1 Like

right ear still fucked, bleh.

rest day.

09/09/2018

bw = 143
soreness = glutes/hams slight to heavy as the day progressed, quads slightly
cramping = none
lateral hamstring tendons = fine
feel = good
hours sleep: ~8
wakeup = 08:45 AM

top3 finishes:

log:
09:00 AM: food: rxbar, water
11:00 AM: food: coffee protein drink, water
02:00 PM: food: char hut!! big bite 1/2 lb burger with bacon / tomato / jalapeno / lettuce, onion ring fries, peanutbutter brownie, water
05:00 PM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, water
07:00 PM: food: banana, water
09:00 PM: water

legs feel good from those lunges, but getting more sore as the day goes on.

yesterday, rest day.

short log.

09/10/2018

bw = 143
soreness = glutes/hams/adductors/quads major soreness (adductors/glutes mostly)
cramping = none
feel = ?
hours sleep: ?
wakeup = ?

top3 finishes:

log:
09:00 AM: workout: bw
ate good

• pullups/dips/calf raises/standing single leg lateral+front raises

sore af.

light strength + long light run.

short log.

09/11/2018

bw = 143
soreness = glutes/hams/adductors/quads major soreness (adductors/glutes mostly) (completely wrecked)
cramping = none
feel = ?
wakeup = ?

top3 finishes:

log:
ate good
09:00 AM: workout: bw (45min)
08:00 PM: workout: theory: running for 3 hours would help pop my ear… verdict: didn’t do shit. (grass, legs crazy sore, right ear blocked, windbreaker jacket/pants): 3 hours light

sore af.

• 45 min
  • 4 rounds of (pullup variation, dip variation, calf raises, standing single leg abductions, standing single leg raises)
  • 5’s for pullup/dip variatins
  • 20-30 reps for the other stuff

08:00 PM: workout: theory: running for 3 hours would help pop my ear… verdict: didn’t do shit. (grass, legs crazy sore, right ear blocked, windbreaker jacket/pants): 3 hours light

a few hours later… ear “feels” a little better than it did prior/during the run. so maybe it might have helped a little. just need this thing to unblock by tmw… or going to a walk-in clinic on thursday.

c’mon body, you got this. fix yourself.

2 Likes

rest & got ear fixed.

09/12/2018

bw = 143
soreness = glutes/hams/adductors/quads moderate (big improvement since yesterday, adductors the biggest problem), calves slightly
aches/injuries = calves “strained” (origin fatigue, from calf raises), left elbow tendonitis-ish (increasing BW exercises maybe), right ear deaf until 10:00 AM!
aches upon getting out of bed: calves, achy
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = tight
morning adductor flexibility = tight
lateral hamstring tendons = left annoyed
feel = tired
hours sleep: 6.7
wakeup = 08:30 AM

top3 finishes:

log:
ate good / alot. will get back to journaling food intake tomorrow… just been too annoyed with the ear issue.

• steak quesadilla, carrot ginger soup, and then a cookies & cream milkshake for lunch :smiley:
  • been eating alot since the lunges hehe… lunges make me hungry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnpPgGol-Y_/

I CAN HEAR AGAIN

went to urgent care. took them like 40 minutes no lie, to unblock BOTH ears

both were completely blocked

the right one, which was 100% deaf, took like 15 minutes.

the left one, which I had been able to hear out of, until they put the drops in (and then it went deaf too), took like 25 minutes. It was actually worse than the other ear.

they got alot out… ehh. that was crazy.

now as i’m typing, I can hear sounds I haven’t heard in a long time, even just the sounds of the keys, sound so much different/clearer. lmao.

blood pressure was 110 / 60.

nice. ;f

3 Likes

rest.

if i hadn’t gone to bed so late and had to wakeup early, i’d have run today.

plan on doing it tmw.

09/14/2018

bw = 144
soreness = not that sore
aches/injuries = calves “strained” slightly
cramping = none
lateral hamstring tendons = good
feel = tired
wakeup = ?

top3 finishes:

log:
ate great, too much coffee tho
09:45 AM: workout: bw

09:45 AM: workout: bw

• strong
  • 3 rounds of pullup variation, dip variation, standing lateral abduction, standing leg raises, low volume calf raises
1 Like

going to stop weighing myself.

also going to stop looking at my watch for a while.

just trying to free my mind of some useless dependencies.

as for the watch: will record my runs, but will try not to even look at the data. previously when i’d go “no watch”, i’d still obsess about my data afterwards. Now i’m going to try and not even look at the data. Going to be a bit odd, but, want to unshackle my brain a bit from knowing how fast/slow i’m actually running.

as for weight: going to not give a fu*k for a while.

“out of sight, out of mind”

:smiley: :ibrunning:

plan to double speed tomorrow, plus high volume lunges in the evening.

i’d love to start focusing hard on these lunges, doing some insane sessions, see what happens to my legs/speed (when I race).

2 Likes

Just run by feel…I like it. Let your mind and body reset to a comfortable place to begin training from in the future

1 Like

yea running by feel is pretty fun… i’ve done it before, I enjoy it. I haven’t “not looked at my data” though post-run. That’s something that’s going to be new to me. I might look at it at the end of the month, or in a few weeks etc, or after a race, who knows. But, to look at it on the day I ran, I want to avoid that for a while. See what happens.

Did a session today and it was pretty weird. Disabled the beeps/vibration on the watch. Created a “watch face” with no data on it etc. Actually helped to make me miss recording the 3 mile warmup, didn’t realize my watch didn’t start. Need to get used to it lool.

I imagine it’s “somewhat similar” to lifting without knowing how much is on the bar, but only a little bit. Because, your body can “produce” the intensity in running, whilst with a bar/weights etc, you’re adding it on externally. So, whatever your body has that day for running, at a given intensity+RPE, you’ll just be able to do it.

Most Kenyans don’t have watches/gps data etc, so they actually run like this. Many elites who have watches, don’t even look at the data etc - their coaches do. It’s just interesting.

My main reason for doing it is, just tired of seeing my pace (in real time especially) and having it create a “limit”. Sometimes i’ll go out too fast in a 5k, look at my watch, and think “damn i’m going too fast”. So that’s been bothering me. The watch telling me i’m going too fast or too slow, without me just internalizing it completely.

dno… I go through weird phases etc. This is potentially a weird phase. Sometimes the stuff ends up being pretty effective though. hah.

peace man!!!

2 Likes

light + speed.

feel a bit weird since getting my ears unblocked. actually feel kinda “dizzy” (very slight at times). it’s weird.

first day not looking at watch AND not looking at pace data. I took screenshots but didn’t look “in” to them, so no clue about the actual paces etc.

I even disabled my resting HR widget…

about to sleep… waking up at ~3:30 AM EST to watch the Berlin Marathon. Kipchoge is in shape to break the WR, don’t want to miss that. :ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning:

09/15/2018

feel like = crap
bw = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none
cramping = right abdominal/stomach cramp during 2nd right
lateral hamstring tendons = good
feel = hopped up/antsy/weird
hours sleep: 9.5
wakeup = 07:30 AM

top3 finishes:

log:
07:45 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
08:20 AM: workout: light + short speed (concrete/sidewalk, feel meh, n/w): 50m @ {w/u, missing} + {some ~100m repeats}
09:30 AM: food: koia cinnamon protein drink, sea salt chips, orange juice, water
01:00 PM: food: rebbl turmeric drink
04:00 PM: food: black tea, rxbar, water
06:30 PM: food: rxbar, water
08:00 PM: workout: light + speed + strength (grass, felt a little better, n/w): 1h:19m @ {hard effort, felt good, cramped up though - made me stop} + {2 shorter efforts, felt good, slight cramp} + {lunges x 200 yards}
10:00 PM: food: turkey/cheese sandwich, plantain chips, water
10:15 PM: ice left knee: 30 minutes
11:00 PM: food: orange juice, water

08:20 AM: workout: light + short speed (concrete/sidewalk, feel meh, n/w): 50m @ {w/u, missing} + {some ~100m repeats}

08:00 PM: workout: light + speed + strength (grass, felt a little better, n/w): 1h:19m @ {hard effort, felt good, cramped up though - made me stop} + {2 shorter efforts, felt good, slight cramp} + {lunges x 200 yards}

• 6.2 mi Run Activity on September 15, 2018 by Andrew D. on Strava
  • felt better tonight but still feel jacked up
  • felt pretty fast … no idea though.
  • im guessing the first effort was ~900m-ish, next two were ~450m-ish.
  • legs didn’t feel too bad after lunges, adapted again … left knee bugging afterwards a little tho, icing it.

I have a 5k race on September 25th (i think that’s the date). I’ll go back and look at my data after that race… haha.

def feels weird but I like it so far.

legs felt solid after lunges. left hamstring was a little sore during the lunges, but overall, pretty much adapted.