Adarqui's Journal

rest day.

didn’t get enough sleep + lots of lightning in the morning, so went back to sleep.

08/31/2018

bw = 141
bw before bed last night = ?
soreness = calves slightly
aches/injuries = none really, right soleus bruise from that self massage last week (it looks WEIRD)
aches upon getting out of bed: right soleus bruise
calves painful to touch/massage = didn’t check
cramping = none
morning quad flexibility = loose
morning hamstring flexibility = loose, less clicky
morning calf flexibility = crazy thick
morning adductor flexibility = loose
toenails: 2 left/2 right, but they’ve improved alot
feel = good
hours sleep: ~8
wakeup = 08:00 AM

sub5 mile or sub3 km splits in 2018: 4 (mi) + 1 (km) = 5 of 50 :ibrunning:

• sub5’s: …, 2018/07/14
  • sub3’s: …

top3 finishes:
2018: 21/29 (stay healthy!)
2017: 6/12
2016: 4/10
2015: 0/2
2006: 0/1

PR tracking:

• 3-hills park, 1 mile hill path: {08/13/2018,7:45}

data collected throughout the day when I have my watch on:
HR low: ?
HR high: ?

log:
08:15 AM: food: grapefruit juice, water
10:30 AM: food: dunkin donuts: donut, 4 x egg & cheese wraps, small hazelnut frozen coffee with whipped cream, water
02:00 PM: food: work snacks: small bag of golden oreos, small bag of normal oreos, water
05:30 PM: food: koia cinnamon horchata protein drink, water
08:00 PM: food: burger fi: fried chicken sandwich, oreo milkshake w/ whipped cream, water
10:00 PM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, rxbar, water

went to watch an XC meet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnKhlwBFuw1/

that kid in red (coral springs dude) who won (15:14 or so?) … i came in 3rd to him in the coral springs holiday mile :smiley: he crushed me by 28s tho lool.

he beat several kenyans (running at US colleges) out there today… big W.

he can fly out here in SFL weather… he’s legit. kenyans can get beat down here i’m telling you :ninja: put some big money up in the hottest most humid parts of the summer, and watch them get beat :smiley: sfl is brutal.

great battle tho at the end, was fun to watch.

also, I think we have the same spikes.

I was pretty surprised at how badly out of shape many of the girls were… wow… pretty awful. I mean, a bunch of girls in the 27-30min 5k range. They didn’t look like they were in shape AT ALL. I just don’t get that. These are D1 runners… how are they running that slow? makes no sense. I mean they were jogging but breathing heavy, it was nuts.

the girl who won however, must have hit low 17s or high 16’s. she was legit. she probably had 1min over the 2nd girl… and 2nd girl was fast. heh.

anyway, I think FAU repped well. I went to FAU so, was fun seeing them do good. The guy I mentioned above runs for them… huge W for FAU on the men’s side. Women got the team victory I think.

1 Like

light + speed + volume day.

then tmw = rest day.

09/01/2018

bw = 143
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none really, right soleus bruise from that self massage last week (it looks WEIRD)
aches upon getting out of bed: right soleus bruise
calves painful to touch/massage = didn’t check
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = crazy thick
feel = good
hours sleep: ~6
wakeup = 05:30 AM

top3 finishes:

PR tracking:

log:
05:45 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
06:15 AM: workout: light with speed (road surface, FOREFOOT, shirtless: felt cooler): 2h:7m @ hard efforts w/ full recovery: {0.6 mi, 3:01 / 5:07 min/mi} + {0.28 mi, 4:57 mm} + {3 x 0.20 mi, 4:48/4:38/4:36 mm} + {0.07 mi, 4:35 mm} ::: felt decent after 2 days rest
09:00 AM: food: tangerine juice, water
09:30 AM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, banana, rxbar, water
01:15 PM: food: char hut: 1/2 lb burger w/ bacon, tomato, jalapenos, lettuce, and pickles on the side, water w/ lemon
03:00 PM: food: berry smoothie, water
04:30 PM: food: dark chocolate cranberry peanut/almond mix (bad idea), water
06:00 PM: water
07:40 PM: workout: light + relaxed speed (grass/mush, CRAZY EXPLOSIVE, FOREFOOT, stomach bloated): 1h:20m @ {20 x ~150m, 4:1X-4:5X min/mi} ::: very solid session
09:30 PM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, orange juice, banana, tons of water
10:00 PM: food: rxbar
10:10 PM: light gastroc stretches

that trail mix was a bad idea. wrecked my stomach. way too much nut-fat hehe.

06:15 AM: workout: light with speed (road surface, FOREFOOT, shirtless: felt cooler): 2h:7m @ hard efforts w/ full recovery: {0.6 mi, 3:01 / 5:07 min/mi} + {0.28 mi, 4:57 mm} + {3 x 0.20 mi, 4:48/4:38/4:36 mm} + {0.07 mi, 4:35 mm} ::: felt decent after 2 days rest

when i push the speed on road, it feels like my grass form. i feel my best on grass. need to shift that over to roads.

also need to just keep cranking the speed. that’s what keeps me strong.

going to be resting alot the next few weeks (at least). going to replicate what I did last December (1 on/1 off) peaking-ish phase, speed every session. mileage should still be high - will pile up on training days (doubles). that’s what i’ve been doing this week.

^^ good speed on road surface right out of the gate, good sign.

07:40 PM: workout: light + relaxed speed (grass/mush, CRAZY EXPLOSIVE, FOREFOOT, stomach bloated): 1h:20m @ {20 x ~150m, 4:1X-4:5X min/mi} ::: very solid session

legs felt so strong/explosive. I wasn’t ever worried about not getting under 5. Some of those 4:4X-4:5X’s were really light.

power is coming back for sure.

stomach a bit wrecked, ate a ton of mixed nuts a few hours before, way too fat heavy.

knees/hips a little achy: those road runs recently definitely beat me up more than grass, I can feel it. Hope it doesn’t turn into anything. Had I done those on grass, i’d be fine, no aches. grass ftw. BUT, need to get my “grass form” onto the roads. My grass form is definitely way more forefoot. This was on mush grass & still WAY faster than my road strides today - i’m analyzing it as I run and it just feels like I run with alot more “spring” (forefoot) on grass. On roads, it’s like my body is afraid of the impact so I lengthen my GCT and run with a flatter strike.

^^ SOLID.

left calf a bit tight, felt it on the way home during the cooldown, some gastroc tightness

1 Like

For girls thats about the same as men running in the 21 - 25 minute range. Not that bad, but not elite runners.

1 Like

Sure, those numbers are ok for “recreational athletes”, but not Division 1 NCAA.

An XC 5k @ 21-25 min for men in D1 NCAA would be absolutely awful.

I couldn’t find the meet results but for the men, it seemed like the vast majority finished under 18 minutes. The spectrum for women was all over the place. One fast girl, a few somewhat fast girls, lots of “mediocre” girls, and a bunch of really out of shape girls.

Actually, just found the results :smiley:

You see all of those girls at the end there, with the 23:53.45? I think that’s a “fill in time”, doesn’t list the actual time because it’s past some cut off time. pretty crazy.

Enormous difference between those two sets of results.

Also, I might be able to beat the 1OA girl in a 5k road race… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

peace!

Ah damn. I just noticed in the results, a few Unattached athletes. Wonder if I can get in on a race like this. I’ve been wanting to do more XC, would have been cool to get in on that. Need to look into this for the future.

just saw this in my YT feed… lol, so beast.

and then saw this:

15 x 1km’s @ 4:15 to 4:30 min/mi pace lmao.

final rep, 2:37/km is like 4:15 min/mi pace.

nuts.

1 Like

rest days.

calves pretty beat up. forefoot style def hammered them, but also doing it on roads in the first session didn’t help any.

09/02/2018

bw = 141
soreness = calves moderate
aches/injuries = calves moderate (slight left gastroc tweak maybe)
aches upon getting out of bed: calves wrecked
calves painful to touch/massage = left more so, lol
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose but wrecked
feel = good
hours sleep: ~10
wakeup = 09:30 AM

top3 finishes:

PR tracking:

log:
09:45 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
10:30 AM: food: turkey & cheese + bacon sandwich, bolthouse breakfast smoothie, water
12:00 PM: light stretch: long light holds (gastrocs)
01:00 PM: icing calves: ~45 min
03:00 PM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
04:00 PM: light half squat hold (to loosen up calves)
06:00 PM: leg drain while watching running videos: 45 minutes (painful at the end)
06:45 PM: food: turkey + thai peanut wrap, water
08:30 PM: food: 3 (haha) x blueberry rxbar, water
09:00 PM: icing calves: ~30 minutes
09:30 PM: water
10:00 PM: contrast shower
10:20 PM: food: orange juice, water

rest day x 2.

raining like crazy. even if i wanted to train, i probably wouldn’t have. just non-stop pouring.

left gastroc slight tweak from saturday.

walked alot forefoot today (ie during dog walk/workout etc), with some exaggerated extension (feels good) … feels weird too like, almost fatiguing, but im just walking real slow so…

09/03/2018

bw = 140 (surprising)
soreness = calves slightly
aches/injuries = calves moderate (slight left gastroc tweak slightly)
aches upon getting out of bed: calves
cramping = none
feel = good
hours sleep: ~6 + 3
wakeup = 05:15 AM + back to sleep @ 06:30 AM - 09:30 AM

top3 finishes:

PR tracking:

log:
05:30 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
06:30 AM: back to sleep
09:30 AM: MFR: small baseball bat rolling (left painful af, right not so much) - baseball bat is a good tool, manual roll pressure from arms/hands
10:00 AM: ice: ~40 minutes, both calves
11:30 AM: food: char hut: 1/2 lb burger w/ bacon, water w/ lemon
01:00 PM: food: haagen dazs shop: cookies & cream milkshake w/ whipped cream
02:45 PM: workout: very light walk, 1.5 hours - forefoot/experimenting
04:30 PM: food: turkey & cheese sandwich (~6"), mixed nuts, water
06:00 PM: ice: ~40 minutes, left calf
07:00 PM: food: grapefruit juice, water
09:30 PM: food: rxbar, strawberry/banana bolthouse smoothie, water

02:45 PM: workout: super light walk

called the cops on someone going nuts, at the end of that walk. the person was running out into traffic, stopping cars that were going ~45 mph, then throwing an umbrella at them. no idea how that turned out… but i imagine the person got arrested. they were acting pretty dangerous. i was worried about old people that might be walking in the area etc (they walk alot there, retirement communities etc).

1 Like

You mean Florida?

Sorry, couldn’t resist

1 Like

hah. well, I grew up in SFL, used to be ALOT older. I watched old people “die out” :confused:

saw the dude again today at the end of my run… man he’s weird looking. still can’t tell “what he is”. Looks like a vampire. He’s got a huge black trench coat, black pants, long black hair (or something, can’t tell), and a big black briefcase. the fuck? Keep in mind it’s like 100F heat index. eh.

2 Likes

speed day.

i’m tired of doing “useless running”. I usually end up feeling like a pretender, get pissed, run hard, PR my mile/1k, then wimp out, PR a 5k, back off, run slow, maybe PR another 5k and maybe some longer stuff, lose my mile power, realize im running like crap, then have to get it back … the loop continues.

the question is: is this a good loop or should I just be running fast? for example, if I want to sub5 split everything, ie run @ 4:5X for 3.1 miles, 6.2 miles, and even head-on-rim level 13.1 miles (no 26.2 miles), then why am I backing off once I make some solid progress on my 1km/mile? is it really that draining or am I just bitching out? IMHO, it’s the latter.

just tired of it.

no more pretending.

also by pretending i mean: I want to run that kind of speed for such distances, but really it’s just a fantasy if i’m not constantly attacking those speeds, several times per week, in intervals or one hard effort, etc.

just need to stop wasting my time.

plus, I feel so much better when I run fast. ie, my 5:00 min/mi 1km today felt like proper running. A 6:XX/7:XX pace doesn’t feel like proper running to me. it’s hard to explain but everything feels perfect at 4:4X to 5:0X pace. When I do it, I can feel that this is how i’m supposed to run: form feels incredible, GCT is quick, very strong bouncy contacts, good breathing, not much wasted movement, and i can picture myself running like some of those kenyans i watch.

i’ll mix in slower running etc, but not by itself. every session has to have some kind of 4:XX pace work.

the last time I did this was when I hit my 17:33 5k on August 04, 2018. The week leading up to that, I made sure to hit 4:XX pace every session. I did it morning and night. I was really toast from it, but still hit 17:33 5k because my body, as burned out as it was, still had power.

I want to stay away from burnout for a while, this summer has been brutal. But, I plan on now taking advantage of the extra freshness i’ll have due to more rest (more rest days). There’s absolutely no excuse why I can’t get better at 4:5X pace. I should be able to hit 2 miles at this pace before 2018 is over. I really believe that. I’ve hit it several times and sometimes it’s just way too easy. The easiest it’s ever been was last December, when I did that coral springs holiday mile. I had been training power that whole month.

my body adapts well… it’s just my mind that’s weak.

i don’t give a sh*t about 5:30 pace, or 5:20 pace, or 5:10 pace etc. I really don’t. I mean it’s cool PR’n stuff but all I care about is sustained 4:5X pace. It might sound weird but that’s my obsession. It’s not necessarily just the pace itself, ie the number, but there’s something about running ~12 mph sustained that just feels perfect to me.

when I used high rep heavy breathing squats to bring up peak my vert, it wasn’t easy reps. It was one hard all out effort teetering on the edge of collapse… very frequent… for months. that’d be like me grinding 4:3X-4:5X at the same frequency, for months.

give me a break.

that’s what i should be doing.

/vent

09/04/2018

bw = 142 (surprising)
soreness = none
aches/injuries = left gastroc tweak = fine no prob, right soleus = annoying, lol, lateral hamstring tendons achy
aches upon getting out of bed: right soleus
cramping = none
lateral hamstring tendons = achy
feel = good
hours sleep: ~7.5
wakeup = 07:00 AM (turned alarm off at 5:30 and went back to sleep)

top3 finishes:

PR tracking:

log:
07:10 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
07:50 AM: workout: light + speed (sidewalk, legs dead/feel dead): 52m @ {1 x 800m, 2:27.5 / 4:55 min/mi, completely soaked, started off at 4.37 on dead legs - kinda dumb but fun}
08:30 AM: food: grapefruit juice
08:45 AM: workout: bw
09:30 AM: food: banana, water
10:30 AM: food: dunkin donuts: 4 x egg and cheese wraps, hazelnut frozen coffee w/ whipped cream, water
02:00 PM: food: bolthouse breakfast smoothie, rxbar, banana, water
04:00 PM: food: protein bar, small bag of golden oreos, water
07:00 PM: food: rxbar, water
07:50 PM: workout: light + speed (sidewalk/concrete, felt meh but ran fast): 44m @ {1050m, 3:15 / 5:00 min/mi, 1km @ 03:06, no watch, smooth with 4:30 kick}
09:00 PM: food: asian noodles, grilled chicken, beet juice, water
09:30 PM: food: koia cinnamon horchata protein drink, water
10:30 PM: food: 2 x banana, water

07:45 AM: workout: light + speed (sidewalk, legs dead/feel dead): 52m @ {1 x 800m, 2:27.5 / 4:55 min/mi, completely soaked, started off at 4.37 on dead legs - kinda dumb but fun}

08:45 AM: workout: bw

• good
  • 5 life

5sec dead hang neutral grip pullups: BW x 5
full dips: BW x 5
calf raises: BW x 5
standing single leg lateral abductions: x 5
standing single leg straight raises: x 5
walking lunges: BW x 5
pushups: BW x 5

07:50 PM: workout: light + speed (sidewalk/concrete, felt meh but ran fast): 44m @ {1050m, 3:15 / 5:00 min/mi, 1km @ 03:06, no watch, smooth with 4:30 kick}

that 1050m felt really good tonight. great for a “no watch” effort, also pitch dark. happy about that. was just way more focused too… was already pissed off before the evening session… i push myself good when I get angry at myself for losing focus etc.

morning session’s 800m was WAY different than tonight’s 1050m … cadence mostly. like 210 SPM for the 800m @ 4:55, 196 SPM for the 1050 @ 5:00. The 196 SPM is way better. The avg also bumped up a bit at the end due to the kick. So a pretty smooth effort. I should be hitting 4:55 pace @ 185-190 SPM for a mile, at least. Then I should be hitting sub 4:40 @ 200 SPM.

i guess the key now is: how do i keep this going for several months? not just 1 month then fall into the trap of having to back off… but instead, how to keep this going through october, november, december, and onward? that’s what I need to figure out… nothing else.

pc

1 Like

That was indeed a long rant my friend.
I was about to write how my training week on the bike would look like. Skipped it, you can’t really compare I guess.

You want you 1 mile and 1 K to go up right?
I would do two A sessions every week running some 3-400 m at a pace that was a bit faster than the target pace. This would be the main sessions.
Then I would do 2 B sessions 1 day running 1,5 mile with a bit slower pace for the first 1,2 mile or so and kicking to a bit faster pace for the last 0,3 mile and a similar day running 1,5 km slow the first 1,2 km and kicking the last 0,3 km.
I would 1 C day running for a fluid pace for a longer distance 5 - 10 km.

Monday B 1 x 1,5 mile kicking the last 0,3 mile
tuesday A 4 - 6 x 3-400 a bit faster than 1 km pace
wednesday easy or rest day
thursday A 6 - 8 x 400 a bit faster than 1 mile pace
friday B 1 x 1,5 km kicking the last 0,3 km
saturday rest or easy
sunday: C fluid running for 5 - 8 km

Maybe change saturday and sunday.

But you do know a lot more than me about running, this is somewhat of a scaled down version of my cycling routine.
You would of course do more running in a slower pace.
Except maybe on the C day with no more running than just the fluid pace.
A days I would put some slowish distance in after the intervals to flush out lactic acid.
B days some slowish run before and after for the milage. Rest/easy day go by feel.

Hoping to see you put some more sub 5 and 3’s in here.

2 Likes

light + speed day.

solid 800.

09/06/2018

bw = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none
aches upon getting out of bed: none
calves painful to touch/massage = ?
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose
feel = good
hours sleep: ~7
wakeup = 05:45 AM

top3 finishes:

log:
05:50 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
06:25 AM: workout: light + speed (road/sidewalk, humid AF, felt good until overheated): 1h:51m @ {stride w/u} + {1050m @ 3:13 / 5:01 min/mi pace, 3:06 km inside, same as a few nights ago but it felt way worse (humidity)} + {320m @ 57s / 4:45 min/mi}
08:30 AM: food: 3 x grapefruit, water
09:15 AM: food: turkey & cheese sandwich, bolthouse breakfast smoothie, rxbar, salt/vinegar chips, tons of water
09:30 AM: ice: left knee
11:30 AM: food: dunkin donuts: small frozen hazelnut coffee + whipped cream
03:00 PM: food: rxbar, banana, lemon/turmeric rebbl drink, water
05:30 PM: food: protein bar, water
06:30 PM: water
07:45 PM: workout: very light + hard speed (sidewalk/road, felt good): 1h:19m @ {800m, 2:21 / 4:42 min/mi, felt great}
09:15 PM: food: bolthouse strawberry protein drink, water
09:45 PM: ear-wax removal drops, fucking nightmare
10:30 PM: food: brie/turkey sandwich, salt/vinegar chips, some probiotic berry thing, chocolate protein drink, water
11:30 PM: contrast shower: 30 minutes trying to “loosen up my ear”
12:00 AM: orange juice

06:25 AM: workout: light + speed (road/sidewalk, humid AF, felt good until overheated): 1h:51m @ {stride w/u} + {1050m @ 3:13 / 5:01 min/mi pace, 3:06 km inside, same as a few nights ago but it felt way worse (humidity)} + {320m @ 57s / 4:45 min/mi}

07:45 PM: workout: very light + hard speed (sidewalk/road, felt good): 1h:19m @ {800m, 2:21 / 4:42 min/mi, felt great}

RIGHT EAR = FUCKED.

spent lots of time today slowly getting wax out of my right ear. :confused:

09/07/2018

bw = 143
soreness = none
aches/injuries = right ear = deaf
aches upon getting out of bed: none
calves painful to touch/massage = ?
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose
feel = good
hours sleep: ~7
wakeup = 08:45 AM

top3 finishes:

log:
08:50 AM: food: orange juice, rxbar, water
09:20 AM: workout: didn’t plan on running today - potential race tomorrow (might not tho, right ear messed up) … that spike in my data is me running (5:29 min/mi haha) from bees/wasps, they got some stings in - on the back of my head lol.
11:00 AM: food: watermelon chunks, beet juice, banana, rxbar, water
12:30 PM: food: 1/2 southwest chicken tender wrap, coffee protein drink, water
04:30 PM: food: 1/2 southwest chicken tender wrap, mixed nuts, chocolate protein drink, water
08:00 PM: food: some probiotic b.s. drink, water
TODO: more food

09:20 AM: workout: didn’t plan on running today - potential race tomorrow (might not tho, right ear messed up) … that spike in my data is me running (5:29 min/mi haha) from bees/wasps, they got some stings in - on the back of my head lol.

^^ that spike is me getting chased by bees/wasps, got stung a few times on the back of my head… good thing i’m 0% allergic.

also, i thought after they were stinging me, surely my ear will “unblock/pop” after that… bad sign that it didn’t. definitely an adrenaline moment and 0% change.

2 Likes

thanks for the reply. was meaning to dig into this and reply today but, epic shitty day.

:F

will check it tomorrow hopefully.

regarding my ear: in a nutshell, the last ~1.5 weeks or so i’ve felt like it had some wax jammed up in it… nothing too major. so I finally say, “let me do something good and try some ear-wax remover!”. I do some research, no side effects etc… I poor the drops in. A few minutes after I put them in, my right ear “goes deaf”. About 15 min later, it goes “undeaf”. Then, it went mostly deaf again. I read that it could just be the ear wax liquid causing the tax to dissolve all over my ear drum, and to keep at it.

So this morning, I say i’ll give it one more try. Ear didn’t improve much after waking up. Anyway, did one more treatment.

Made my ear even worse.

So now my right ear, all day, has been like 95% deaf. It feels thick/numb and I can’t hear much with it.

I threw those drops out.

I switched my strategy to:

• irrigating ear
  • using specialized “gentle scoop” thing to scoop out earwax
  • irrigating again

repeat several times per day.

I got out alot of wax… but absolutely no improvement/change in hearing/thickness/numbness.

I called some docs… couldn’t get an appointment for today and they gave me some crazy estimates based on “no insurance”.

So hopefully I can figure this out without going to a doc… I think it’s just impacted with ear wax, all over the ear drum or something… ie, the drops might have melted the wax onto the drum real nasty.

I have a race tmw… if I have any problems with pain/equilibrium i’ll abort the race and go to a walk in clinic or something.

bleh.

always something.

Do you irrigate with a bulb? It’s a miracle device for me. No more drops, no more scooping, stirring, poking. Just a few blasts with warm water & a ton of earwax in the sink

1 Like

hey man, thanks for the feedback.

well, I started doing it more today (not with a bulb, but an ear irrigation bottle I got). I ran out of the fluid inside so i’ve been putting hydrogen peroxide in it.

I had a few good “squirts” with it. On one, a decent sized piece of ear wax came out.

I’ve gotten more out with the scoop tho.

Is the “bulb” something specific or can any bottle that squirts the liquid in, at decent “pressure” be good?

peace!!

I guess any bottle would work, however I haven’t tried any other squeezey bottle. The bulb is made of very soft plastic (silicone maybe?) & has a long thin flexible end. They are under $10 at most drug stores. It’s amazing how much wax comes out when I have a full on blockage. When the hearing comes back it feels like a superpower lol

1 Like

damn thanks man. really appreciate it.

I will look into this tomorrow for sure!!!

this “thickness” is driving me absolutely nuts. I think I would be able to be ok without the hearing, it’s this thickness that’s bothering me so much.

peace!