Adarqui's Journal

light day!

06/28/2018

bw = ?
bw before bed last night = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none, after run: left big toe slightly, a few bite marks on my shin!
calves painful to touch/massage = always (right especially)
cramping = none
morning quad flexibility = loose
morning hamstring flexibility = loose, clicked less today
morning calf flexibility = loose, less thick!
morning adductor flexibility = loose
toenails: a little better, 2 on left foot, 2 on right (black)
feel = great
hours sleep: 9

wakeup = 07:30 AM

sub5 mile or sub3 km splits in 2018: 3 (mi) + 1 (km) = 4 of 50 :ibrunning:

data collected throughout the day when I have my watch on:
HR low: 41
HR high: ?

log:
07:45 AM: food: rxbar, water
09:00 AM: workout: light heat run (grass, sweatshirt): 1.5 hours ::: left big toe feels weird, also got bit by something hah.
10:40 AM: beet juice, 2 x banana, rxbar, tons of water
11:45 AM: food: ramen lab: ground chicken ramen bowl + very spicy, tons of water
03:00 PM: food: work life: tons of chocolates mixed into my coffee + 4 creams, rxbar, banana, water
07:00 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
08:30 PM: workout: very light / chillin (grass): 1h:12m @ keeping it under 130 BPM :: felt great, very explosive/bouncy even though I was relaxing
10:00 PM: food: strawberry mousse (600 kcal damn!, good af tho), beet juice, tart cherry apple cider vinegar shot, tons of water

workout: light heat run (grass, sweatshirt): 1.5 hours ::: left big toe feels weird, also got bit by something hah.

workout: very light / chillin (grass): 1h:12m @ keeping it under 130 BPM :: felt great, very explosive/bouncy even though I was relaxing

something bit my shin today, two little stingy holes in there. probably a spider. lool.

light day!

06/29/2018

bw = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none, left quad barely barely, two nasty blisters on both of my big toes
cramping = none
feel = great
hours sleep: 8

wakeup = 07:00 AM

HR low: ?

log:
07:15 AM: food: rxbar, water
07:55 AM: workout: UPDATE: found the owner!!! run cut short because a stray dog kept jogging with me, so trying to find out who it belongs to
09:30 AM: food: 3 x grapefruit, rxbar, banana, water
12:30 PM: food: whole foods: orange chicken, rice, some beef, beet juice, water
01:30 PM: nap: 1 hour
03:30 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
06:30 PM: food: char hut: double grilled chicken pita w/ bacon, beet juice, honey/chipotle cashews, water
09:10 PM: food: tart cherry apple cider vinegar shot, lots of water
09:25 PM: leg drain: 30 minutes

dropped a hammer on my foot around 11 AM lol…

• iced it, it’s good

workout: UPDATE: found the owner!!! run cut short because a stray dog kept jogging with me, so trying to find out who it belongs to

wanted to do 1.5 hours, only did 56 min.

two races tmw. two top 3’s hopefully.

helped a dog find its way home today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BknMapUFiLo/

^^ cute… :smiley:

2 Likes

^^ dog was very fast too… so athletic. would be fun to train with :smiley:

Thanks alot man!

Well, i’m “brave” (or dumb) enough to do it… we’ll know if I can run 2 races in one day once I actually do them haha! :slight_smile:

Leg feels good so not too worried. Just don’t want to feel it at all. Running on asphalt could potentially flare it up, haven’t tested speed on asphalt yet. Speed/Volume on grass was fine soo… confident it’ll hold up.

Tmw morning’s race should be pretty fast, it always is. 46th annual race sooo, usually gets a big crowd with lots of fast folks.

We had some crazy thunderstorms/lightning today, and the forecast is thunderstorms/lightning tmw @ 7 AM… hopefully that’s incorrect.

pc!

1 Like

first race of the day, 2nd OA @ 18:02. Did just enough to win, side by side for 3 miles with the kid who ended up winning, but he got me on the kick in the last 0.1 mi. My kick was strong too, hit 4:10 min/mi, so his was way stronger. props.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkpcyjvlXFp/

2 Likes

^^

Here’s the stats of the kid who beat me at the end (D1 XC/Track). My kick was fairly strong (~4:30 min/mi for 0.11 hitting 4:10 peak) to end this race, that’s why I was surprised & laughing as I got dusted. Reminds me of the 200m dusting. lmfao.

Yescas comes to the Blue and White with personal best times of 16:29.00 in the 5K, 9:38.70 in the 3200, 4:27.80 in the 1600 and 2:01.00 in the 800.

5k: 16:29
3200: 9:38
1600: 4:27.8
800m: 2:01.00

http://lynnfightingknights.com/sports/mtrack/2017-18/releases/20180418mkwelw

1 Like

Congrats on more personal bests!! And the food looks fantastic :slight_smile:

Any 400s or 200s direct work recently?

Since I’ve stopped the running (focusing on weight gain) my hips feel great. I think I was asking for too much from them. I’ll have to periodize my running/lifting better. Once I can get back to a consistent 400lb squat I plan to slowly bring running back in. Also, will not run as much distance as I was. More grass sprinting than anything.

#neverstoplearning

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

full post from yesterday, includes both races… long post, busy day. lol!

race day… x 2!

journaling early.

06/30/2018

bw = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = none, two nasty blisters on both of my big toes
cramping = none
feel = great
hours sleep: 6.5-7

wakeup = 05:15 AM

log:
05:30 AM: food: oatmeal + tons of honey + tons of pink salt, water
06:40 AM: warmup + race: Freedom 5k: 2nd OA @ 18.02 - kid got me on the kick
07:30 AM: food: rxbar, 2 x banana, water
08:45 AM: food: jamba juice: beet smoothie, turkey sausage / egg / cheese wrap
09:15 AM: food: starbucks: cheese danish
10:00 AM: water
11:30 AM: food: 2 x toasted sourdough + tons of butter, beet juice
12:30 PM: nap: 2.5 hours, so tired … feel way better upon waking up
03:00 PM: water
05:00 PM: food: rxbar, water
06:00 PM: food: (stomach dying, needed something, felt fine after) rxbar, water
06:05 PM: warmup + race: All American 5k: 2nd OA @ 17.52 ::: no kick lol // gnat nightmare, omg // nice first mile (5:28)
07:00 PM: food: post-race food! five guys cheeseburger, rxbar, blue bell ice cream w/ sprinkles etc, potato chips, sprite, water
08:00 PM: food: kilwins: cookies & cream milkshake with whipped cream
09:00 PM: food: acai drink, water
10:00 PM: food: orange juice, water

warmup + race: Freedom 5k: 2nd OA @ 18.02 - kid got me on the kick

did just enough to try and win but kid outslicked me, solid kick and perfect timing.

another 5k later!!! hah.

btw every1 was drenched. hot and humid af hah.

EDIT: Here’s the stats of the kid who beat me at the end (D1 XC/Track). My kick was fairly strong (~4:30 min/mi for 0.11 hitting 4:10 peak - correction: 3:58 peak) to end this race, that’s why I was surprised & laughing as I got dusted. Reminds me of the 200m dusting. lmfao.

Yescas comes to the Blue and White with personal best times of 16:29.00 in the 5K, 9:38.70 in the 3200, 4:27.80 in the 1600 and 2:01.00 in the 800.

5k: 16:29
3200: 9:38
1600: 4:27.8
800m: 2:01.00

^^ lol. beast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkpcyjvlXFp/

^^^

hr really blew up. was hot/humid af out there.

TODO:
race #2

All American 5k: 2nd OA @ 17.52 ::: no kick lol // gnat nightmare, omg // nice first mile (5:28)

was worried about legs during warmup, felt tight. once race started tho, all good. no gas 3rd mile tho. really tough race. top3 was a battle.

3rd place guy lead for 2 miles. then 1st place guy took over. i let him separate too much. then i past 3rd place guy to move into #2. Couldn’t make up that ground on #1.

another college runner kid, I think. lol!!

quick cool story: kid who came in #1 and beat me by 13s, beat me by around 3 minutes in 2016. :smiley: He hit like 16:3X for 5k then, in good weather. I hit 19:3X or something. Another fast “kid” though, 5k PR = 16:19.

Guy who finished 3rd who was leading most of the race, is another 16:XX guy.

Lesson learned today: these young folks are strong, so I need to get stronger… :smiley:

This was a great race & event!

^^ HR WAS GREAT!! and it was SCORCHING OUT! and I was running faster. awesome. Less humid than earlier today, but def hotter. That humidity is the real villain lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkq8PiRlDcH/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkq_KApF5Pe/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkq3X6kFlr7/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

:personal-record: PR’s:

• beat a “16:XX guy”
  • lost very close to two other 16:XX guys, & one of them with some serious mile speed (4:27)
  • two 5k races in one day, two top3’s

solid! Not sure if i’ve ever gotten a W against a 16:XX guy before… like one who is still in shape/strong. Other than maybe Sonja but she’s mostly 17:XX now. These people I raced today were young so, good sign I think. Also, losing so closely to two really strong runners is also a great sign. happy about it. major progress, especially considering I had to be very strategic today in my first race in order to conserve for the second, and still managed to gut out a brutal 2OA in the 2nd race against 2 other strong runners.

got to stay healthy and keep this up!

probably another 5k on Wednesday, July 4th 5k.

pc!

1 Like

much needed rest/light day.

also, 375 miles in June. 80 for the week.

[hr]

07/01/2018

bw = 146
soreness = quads moderate, adductors moderate, both got worse as the day went on - rare running only DOMS
aches/injuries = adductors perhaps, left ankle/achilles perhaps barely, two nasty blisters on both of my big toes
cramping = none
feel = great
hours sleep: 7

wakeup = 07:30 AM

HR low: 40

log:
07:35 AM: food: rxbar, water
07:55 AM: workout: very light Kenyan shuffle (grass, quads a bit sore): 2 hours @ 13:XX/HR under 120BPM
10:30 AM: food: 3 x grapefruit, tons of water
12:30 PM: food: bocas grill: steak/egg/bacon/arepa breakfast, caesar salad, some chocolate milk desert drink (loved it), water w/ lime
02:30 PM: nap: 30 min
05:00 PM: food: banana, water
07:30 PM: light stretching (quads)
08:00 PM: food: banana, chocolate pudding, water

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bksvb6alJD4/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bksv322FAY4/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

workout: very light Kenyan shuffle (grass, quads a bit sore): 2 hours @ 13:XX/HR under 120BPM

basically 10 miles in 2.5 hours

1 Like

afoley dropping sick shots as expected! love events where she shoots.

i never stand at the start waiting to go, i always stand outside until the very last minute. I just don’t like waiting in there, almost claustrophobic-ish or something:

kid who won has some good form

the end of the 5k, a little annoyed that i let him get separation:

hurtin!

i was lol’n because it felt so awkward posing with a baseball bat… i mean, i felt violent holding it. i wonder if any1 else felt that way? lmao.

they had an RXBAR booth!!

also, they had a kids mile:

1 Like

thanks so much man! and ya I been eating good, haha. been eating out perhaps a bit more than normal lately, but enjoying it nonetheless.

nah. tweaked quad over a week ago, small muscle spasm. so, haven’t hit HARD speed since then. I did some moderate speed last week, but that’s not in the realm of 400/200 stuff. Once i’m 100% i’ll get back to hitting some very hard 200/400-ish stuff, in the context of distance running though, not full recovery top end speed, but still fast. I’m probably 100% physically but not 100% mentally, just afraid to hit that gear still… Though, I hit sub4 min/mi pace for the first race in the finishing kick yesterday, but I am pretty sore today - especially in my quads/adductors. Going to just go light until this heals up. Hoping I feel perfect come Tuesday, so that I can give myself the green light for a 4th of July 5k on Wednesday.

damn but that’s good, health #1. hip pain absolutely sucks. whatever fixes it, is the way to go. I’ve had it a few times and it’s damn scary when it gets “bad”, feel like an old man/arthritic etc. freaks me out.

nice @ grass sprinting. Also, some very light relaxed bouncy grass running may feel very good and not stress your hips much, I mean it’s such a short ROM and lots of forefoot etc, feels very springy the way I do it - makes me very explosive. So it’s always an option. Don’t need to push the pace on distance runs, can always go crazy light & bouncy, might work well. But something to evaluate way down the road.

I do everything on grass/dirt now. I don’t train at all, on track/asphalt. This also means I can’t really train with anyone, anymore. No one wants to run on grass/dirt with me, all good whatever. I’ve been training this way for like 3+ months now, absolutely love it. My legs/body feels way better, allows me to put more mileage in, requires less recovery, makes me feel springier etc… it’s the way to go. Unfortunately I have to race on asphalt though… wish they had more XC races :smiley:

I may occasionally allow myself to do some track sessions, but I don’t even want to run on a track anymore. I was allowing it, but that surface is pretty hard as well. When i’m pushing it hard on grass, it feels absolutely perfect & normal, the way it was meant to be. It’s quite a feeling, I love it.

Thanks man!!! will try!

peace/gn!

1 Like

light day!

bad sleep. dog is wrecked from allergies, thus wrecking me. really stressing me out, been going on for a week now. Took him to the vet today for an allergy shot + antibiotics. Then he came home and scratched a gash into his neck. fml.

he’s doing a little better tonight. hope i can sleep properly.

07/02/2018

bw = 144
soreness = quads moderate, adductors slightly - both improved towards the evening
aches/injuries = adductors perhaps, left ankle/achilles perhaps barely/slightly, two nasty blisters on both of my big toes
cramping = none
feel = great
hours sleep: 6 rough

wakeup = 07:00 AM

log:
07:15 AM: food: rxbar, water
07:45 AM: workout: very light shuffle (grass, legs dead): 1h15m @ mostly kept HR under 110 BPM (lol)
09:10 AM: food: orange juice
11:00 AM: food: dunkin donuts: 4 x egg & cheese wraps, medium frozen mocha coffee w/ whipped cream, water
03:00 PM: food: banana, water
06:00 PM: food: rxbar, water
06:30 PM: some light stretching (quads/adductors/calves)
08:30 PM: workout: avg HR 118 lol @ 10:XX, hot, 1h10m. that’s cool. (grass, legs sore but improving) ::: crazy effortless, felt great/very springy/bouncy
10:00 PM: food: 5 x eggs, toasted sourdough + irish butter, banana, some cherries, beet juice, water
11:15 PM: ice left ankle/heel for 15 minutes, just feels a little weird in one spot

workout: very light shuffle (grass, legs dead): 1h15m @ mostly kept HR under 110 BPM (lol)

workout: avg HR 118 lol @ 10:XX, hot, 1h10m… that’s cool. (grass, legs sore but improving) ::: crazy effortless, felt great/very springy/bouncy

basically kept it at <= 120 BPM.

light day!

the blisters on my big toes are really annoying … popped them today, they were getting huge. got huge again after tonight’s run.

on my way to my evening grass run, some kid(s) shot at me with a pellet gun - it zipped in front of me about knee level… confronted them about it.

07/03/2018

bw = 143
soreness = quads slightly
aches/injuries = left ankle/achilles perhaps barely/slightly, two NASTY blisters on both of my big toes, post-evening-run: right ankle from crossing the street & stepping in a pothole of thick grass
cramping = none
feel = great
hours sleep: 7.5

wakeup = 08:00 AM

HR low: 37

log:
08:15 AM: food: rxbar, water
09:00 AM: workout: light progression (grass/dirt/rocks, quads still sore): 1h @ 11:30 to 8:03 ::: legs too dead to do the july 4th 5k, all good tho, will keep it light until recovered
10:00 AM: food: grapefruit juice, banana, rxbar, water
01:00 PM: food: honey chipotle cashews, banana, chocolates, water
04:00 PM: food: chocolates, water
05:30 PM: food: rxbar, water
06:30 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
07:15 PM: workout: very light progression (grass): 1h15m @ 10:41 to 7:48
09:00 PM: food: chicken tortilla soup, popcorn chicken, beet juice, chocolate, water
10:30 PM: leg drain while reading: 30 minutes

workout: light progression (grass/dirt/rocks, quads still sore): 1h @ 11:30 to 8:03 ::: legs too dead to do the july 4th 5k, all good tho, will keep it light until recovered

just way too risky to do a 5k tmw. quads too tight/sore. they definitely improved quite a bit but still not 100%.

maybe there’s a race this weekend, dno yet. don’t think there is but we’ll see.

workout: very light progression (grass): 1h15m @ 10:41 to 7:48

they just post some photos from the other race:

LOL … me laughing, laughed for alot of the kick. just was funny to get dusted like that. i seem to laugh when i get dusted.

^^^ that jersey he has on, NBN, new balance nationals, is pretty sick… that’s like high school indoor/outdoor championships… fast. lol.

Good to see that for the last couple of days this has improved just a bit.

Nice runs this weekend man.

Impressed about the second 5K mate :slight_smile:

Blisters are a pain in the a*** hard to get rid of. Hope they vanish over night

1 Like

Poor bugger :frowning: do you know what’s causing the flare up?

Also, little deadshits. Did they shoot at you as a target or was it just a wild shot?

1 Like

Thanks man!! yea that 2nd 5k was ROUGH. heh.

re blisters: what I normally do is, let them get big, then pop them with a heated up safety pin, then go on a run and let them really squish out. LOL. Helped somewhat, these are some nasty ones. I’ll just keep crushing them through running, usually they eventually disappear.

1 Like

nah. maybe ran too much when my feet were wet or something. all good though, i get these on occasion and usually the amount of running which seems to cause them, also helps destroy them. hah.

They were shooting at a target, that was placed by the road. I was running to the park, on the other side, on the sidewalk. I looked over to my left and saw a rifle pointed at me (which was also pointed at the target). Once myself, the target, and the “shooter” aligned, he pulled the trigger. All of that happened really fast, turned my head away from him when I saw the rifle - as he shot. Heard it zip right in front of me.

He claimed it was an accident, but I know for sure it was deliberate. He used the fact that there was a target to play innocent, but he knew what he was doing. I got pretty amp’d and approached them, had a little discussion. They just kept saying sorry they didn’t mean it but I called them on their B.S. and they knew it. Glad I didn’t get hit by it, could have easily caught my in my knee, ankle etc, or even worse my face. If I had seen a cop somewhere (at the park or on my way to the park) I would have told them about it. But I didn’t so I just continued running.

Punks for sure. I tried to be clear to them that it’s not all fun and games & sometimes there are unintended consequences. Who knows, maybe they laughed about it after I left. ;d

I just realized I have GPS data of the incident…

That little gap is where it happened. That’s right after I stopped to confront them about it. HR was like ~104-106 prior, afterwards goes up to 116+ etc.

I mean who knows but, interesting to have some data on it.

I once had a “real scare”, back in 2011 or so… wish I had a GPS watch that night. Let’s just say I probably ran the fastest i’ve ever run in my life, and potentially could have given Bolt a challenge. Sometimes I think about the idea of having GPS data of it… :smiley:

peace!

1 Like

light day!

should have been race day!

07/04/2018

bw = 143
soreness = none
aches/injuries = left ankle/achilles perhaps barely/slightly, right calf barely, two NASTY blisters on both of my big toes, post-evening-run: right adductor barely
calves painful to touch/massage = much less so lately (right more so)
cramping = none
morning hamstring flexibility = loose, clicked much less today
morning calf flexibility = loose, much less thick!
toenails: 2 on left foot, 2 on right (black)
feel = great
hours sleep: 8

wakeup = 08:00 AM

HR low: 40?
HR high: 170’s?

log:
08:15 AM: food: rxbar, water
09:20 AM: workout: light heat run with hills (grass/dirt/rocks, hills, sweatshirt, HOTAF): ~1.5h w/ 3 mi of hills mixed in ::: brutal fun
11:00 AM: food: 3 x grapefruit, watermelon, blueberries, water
02:00 PM: food: char hut: double grilled chicken pita w/ bacon, rxbar, water
05:00 PM: water
07:15 PM: workout: light progression (grass/dirt/rocks, rain): ~1hr @ 9:32 down to 7:17
09:00 PM: food: 5 x eggs, 2 x toasted sourdough with avocado (NO MORE AVOCADO, heartburn), cherries, blueberries, water
10:00 PM: some light stretching (right adductor a little tight)

workout: light heat run with hills (grass/dirt/rocks, hills, sweatshirt, HOTAF): ~1.5h w/ 3 mi of hills mixed in ::: brutal fun

july 4th 5k was really fast from the results, missed a good one!

legs felt alot better today but wouldn’t have been safe to race (quads still recovering), probably hit some speed on friday. should be solid by then.

workout: light progression (grass/dirt/rocks, rain): ~1hr @ 9:32 down to 7:17

1 Like