Adarqui's Journal

Nice weekly totals man. Anything over 50 is amazing.

1 Like

139lbs!! Whoa

And the HEAT! How do you fare in the heat? I guess training in it acclimates you some, but man.

I cant fathom running 100+ miles in a week lol

1 Like

Thanks man! Yea 100 used to be amazing to me… now it’s not. However, 140 is amazing to me. Now that i’ve finally felt what it’s like to run back2back 100+ mi weeks, it makes it even more astonishing that elites like Kipchoge/Farah are hitting 120-140 a week.

I guess their “slow pace” is just so much faster than mine, that the miles really stack up. ie, my slow pace is 8:3X-9:XX basically. I can just trot that very easy. Their slow pace is like 6:3X to 7:XX, so the miles really add up when you’re going that pace so easily.

I guess it’s not that astonishing anymore come to think of it… just need to make my “idle pace” into the 7’s lol!

peace man!

2 Likes

Probably will end up mid-130’s by the end of the summer, hah.

I’m ok in the heat, not horrible, but not great. Wish I was better. So, going to just keep training in it and not back down from it.

Felt great in it the last few days though… The last few days were after a horrible run in the heat, maybe some adaptations happened already, hah.

All I know is, it’s going to get hotter.

I need to take advantage of this weather: it’s overheating my engine earlier, so, need to try as hard as possible to stay relaxed, come into workouts properly hydrated/fueled, stay focused mentally etc.

If I can keep my mileage up this summer, i’ll be an absolute monster come fall/winter, no doubt about it.

I’ve noticed several local runners backing down from it already, basically not racing much or training as hard in the summer etc.

And ya, it results in performance improvements when you shift into cooler weather, kind of like how people go from elevation to sea level. It’s not as potent as that, but it is effective. I’ve seen some studies on it. If I see them again, will post.

Also, 100 isn’t too hard if you run twice a day! lool!

peace man!

1 Like

Oh also, I can’t shy away from the heat for another reason: it’s one of my best weapons in the future, against elites who come down and race here. They are scared of the heat/humidity. So, let’s use home field advantage :smiley:

Maybe one day those exact scenarios will happen and it’ll pay off. I can see it happening. lol ;f

peace!

3 Likes

speed day hopefully.

Got my old (at this point) car tuned up/fixed up, rides like it’s brand new. The BufferMobile continues to impress. :ninja:

06/10/2018

bw = 144
bw before bed last night = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = knees/medial hamstring insertions at times, ankles slightly after morning run - didnt want to go fast in my heavy shoes but had to - could be the culprit
calves painful to touch/massage = always (right especially)
cramping = none
morning quad flexibility = loose
morning hamstring flexibility = loose
morning calf flexibility = loose
morning adductor flexibility = loose
feel = great
hours sleep: 9

wakeup = 09:30 AM

sub5 mile or sub3 km splits in 2018: 3 (mi) + 1 (km) = 4 of 50 :ibrunning:

data collected throughout the day when I have my watch on:
HR low: 38
HR high: ?

log:
09:45 AM: rxbar, water
11:00 AM: workout: 70 min @ light run (grass/dirt/rocks, 1 mile of hills, pouring rain on the way back) with fast finish (lightning struck near by) while carrying ~7 lb of stuff from the farmer’s market lol.
01:00 PM: food: beet juice, oatmeal + pink salt + blueberry honey, avocado, 3 x eggs, water
04:00 PM: food: publix: hotdog w/ ketchup/mustard, water
05:00 PM: food: cherry apple cider vinegar shot, water
06:00 PM: food: banana bites, water
07:45 PM: workout: (102.5 mi this week) // relaxed speed: {1 mi @ 5:27, flooded grass/mud} + {12 x ~30-35s on / ~50-60s off (on = 4:3X-4:5X)} + {4 x ~23s on, 80s off}
09:30 PM: food: 2 x toasted sourdough with irish butter, some pepper jack cheese cubes, big beet juice (omg), rxbar, granola bar, apple cider vinegar shot, 2 x banana, a few peanutbutter banana bites, tons of water
^^ damn that’s alot lol!
^^ 140 lb before, 145 lb. after
10:30 PM: leg drain: 30 minutes while reading

workout: 70 min @ light run (grass/dirt/rocks, 1 mile of hills, pouring rain on the way back) with fast finish (lightning struck near by) while carrying ~7 lb of stuff from the farmer’s market lol.

went from like 9+ min/mi to almost sub6 in an instant, once that lightning struck. HEH!

running while holding that bag of dog treats/honey in one arm, was surprisingly comfortable. became even more comfortable once the lightning hit, then all i could think about was hauling a$$.

workout: (102.5 mi this week) // relaxed speed: {1 mi @ 5:27, flooded grass/mud} + {12 x ~30-35s on / ~50-60s off (on = 4:3X-4:5X)} + {4 x ~23s on, 80s off}

That flooded grass mile was ROUGH! Brought my spikes with the 3/8th inch needle spikes in them, to see if I could run fast in that flooded field. Decent, but was really tough. Splashing around non-stop haha. Fun but had to be careful.

feet/big toe beat up from that session ^^

been feeling big toe off and on barely for a few days now… i think running in spikes in that mushy grass could have stretched it a bit too much. dno yet.

feet are just crushed from running so much distance in spikes. i guess they’ll make my feet stronger if i run in them more often. now i know i can run in them on grass… they perform well! if it’s dry they will be fast.

1 Like

Sounds brutal…

1 Like

hah ya it was.

only a few small dry spots (probably ~10-15 yard stretches) of dry grass. Well not dry, just not flooded. The rest, non stop puddle smashing. Pretty nuts…

My spikes did the job tho! Those 3/8th inch needle spikes are crazy sharp. I’m going to order some 1/2" ones now that I know how effective they are. 1/2" spikes would dig in so solid I wouldn’t worry at all about slipping. I didn’t slip with 3/8th either.

Compare that to my flats, i’d have slipped tons.

Pretty solid to experience that “security” in spikes. Never ran on grass in spikes before. Enjoyed it!

Also, I have a new respect for people who “get spiked” in a track/xc race etc. These needle spikes are so sharp when they are new. I put them in a small backpack and they instantly poked right through hah. Must hurt afterwards if someone catches you with those, on the shin etc.

peace!

light day.

slept in. needed it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj5Q2HkFPxH/

06/11/2018

bw = 142
soreness = hamstrings barely, adductors barely
aches/injuries = left knee slightly, right shin barely (after i got home from work, odd), right big toe barely
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose / CALVES FEEL SO DAMN THICK. FU*K. IT WON’T DISAPPEAR. (months now)
feel = great
hours sleep: 9

wakeup = 08:30 AM

HR low: ?

log:
08:45 AM: rxbar, water
09:00 AM: workout: bw
09:30 AM: food: 5 x eggs, toasted soudough with irish butter, banana, banana chips, banana bites, water (banana fest)
02:00 PM: food: beet juice, protein bar, chocolates, water
04:00 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
07:30 PM: workout: light 2h10m run (mud, flooded grass, finished with turf): 6:47 on mile 10 when I got access to turf, then went back to relaxing
10:00 PM: food: beet juice, sourdough + pepper jack cheese cubes, apple cider vinegar shot, banana, rxbar, tons of water
11:45 PM: self massage: light, calves

workout: light 2h10m run (mud, flooded grass, finished with turf): 6:47 on mile 10 when I got access to turf, then went back to relaxing

i don’t like running on turf… too soft. I love grass/dirt though. Turf has this artificial mushy feeling that I hate. It’s better than roads tho…

1 Like

light day.

very busy day. broke production. sucked. stupid issue, took a while to reprocess everything, kinda brutal.

06/12/2018

bw = 142
soreness = none
aches/injuries = right knee barely, right calf/gastroc later on slightly
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose / CALVES FEEL SO DAMN THICK. FU*K. IT WON’T DISAPPEAR. (months now)
feel = great
hours sleep: 8

wakeup = 08:00 AM

HR low: 38

log:
08:15 AM: rxbar, water
08:30 AM: workout: light progression (grass, dirt, rocks, hot af): 50 minutes w/ instantaneous pace from 10+ to 6:39
09:40 AM: workout: bw
10:00 AM: food: rxbar, lots of water
11:00 AM: food: 2 x egg/cheese muffins, top half (with frosting) of a donut, small caramel iced coffee with whipped cream, water
12:30 PM: massive right lateral gastroc cramp :raging: :raging: :raging:
effects lingered for the rest of the day … tight in one spot
12:45 PM: food: beet juice, banana, water
03:00 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
06:00 PM: food: trail mix bar, water
08:00 PM: workout: 2 hours light (grass, rocks, dirt, mosquitos) @ 9:XX-10:XX ::: can’t run near the canal at night… as soon as it gets dark, I get destroyed. feh! /// BOGUS HR DATA - lmao!
10:30 PM: food: 5 x eggs, 2 x toasted sourdough with irish butter, pepper jack cheese cubes, plantain chips, “lemon reset” drink, watermelon/tart cherry drink, tons of water
11:30 PM: leg drain while computing: 30 minutes … feet went completely numb. crazy how most often they don’t, but sometimes they do.

workout: light progression (grass, dirt, rocks, hot af): 50 minutes w/ instantaneous pace from 10+ to 6:39

workout: bw

• decent

3-5sec paused dead hang ng pullups: BW x 8
full dips: BW x 10

workout: 2 hours light (grass, rocks, dirt, mosquitos) @ 9:XX-10:XX ::: can’t run near the canal at night… as soon as it gets dark, I get destroyed. feh! /// BOGUS HR DATA - lmao!

HR is way off … HR felt like sub120 when I was manually checking it, and watch said like 200+ … unreal how my garmin goes all out of whack like that… wonder what causes it. hehe.

right calf cramped up on me very bad today … doing nothing. I did some self massage on them last night, I bet that somehow caused it to trigger. so lame. Felt fine during the run… hope it’s completely “gone” tomorrow. Definitely some tightness in one spot - where it cramped.

annoying.

^^ check the HR data… LOL… nuts (but invalid).

1 Like

Those leg cramps and issues sound like some deficiency. I’m sure you are eating well, and honestly I wouldn’t know where to begin to advise. But it seems the body is saying hey we need something.

Aren’t some muscle cramping in runners related to calcium or calcium processing?

Hope you get it figured out soon bud.

1 Like

speed day. yaaa.

me yawning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj-ZKZaFDeh/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

06/13/2018

bw = 142
soreness = bottoms of feet slightly
aches/injuries = right calf/gastroc slightly
cramping = none
morning calf flexibility = loose/thick / CALVES FEEL SO DAMN THICK. FU*K. IT WON’T DISAPPEAR. (months now)
feel = great
hours sleep: 7.5

HR low: 36

log:
08:15 AM: rxbar, water
08:50 AM: workout: light mix mash of paces (grass/dirt/rocks, being careful of right calf that cramped up yday): ~1 hour from 10:XX/7:XX/6:XX mixed together
09:55 AM: workout: bw
10:00 AM: food: beet juice, carrot juice, water
12:00 PM: food: carrot juice, protein bar, water
01:30 PM: food: work life: coffee + 6 creams + 4 hersheys kisses mixed in + chocolate straw, i win
03:30 PM: food: kapow: veggie/egg fried rice + chicken + hot spices, a few chocolates, water
07:00 PM: water
08:15 PM: workout: speed (mushy grass/dirt, heart burn, careful of right gastroc, dark): 1.5 hours @ {mile 3 = hard, 5:13}, 2 x {75% mod tempo + 25% hard kick @ {5:50 = 6:15 + 4:49}, {5:58 = 6:20 + 4:48}} ::: great session!
10:00 PM: food: beet juice, strawberry/cherry juice, apple cider vinegar shot, 3 x banana, rxbar, 2 x sourdough toast + irish butter, tons of water
11:00 PM: food: 2 x emergen-C + water

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj_Z-eWlP1A/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

workout: light mix mash of paces (grass/dirt/rocks, being careful of right calf that cramped up yday): ~1 hour from 10:XX/7:XX/6:XX mixed together

calf felt fine running… feels lame walking around. ie, when I stand COMPLETELY STRAIGHT, area that cramped feels tight.

so lame.

workout: bw

• ok

3-5sec paused dead hang ng pullups: BW x 8
full dips: BW x 10

workout: speed (mushy grass/dirt, heart burn, careful of right gastroc, dark): 1.5 hours @ {mile 3 = hard, 5:13}, 2 x {75% mod tempo + 25% hard kick @ {5:50 = 6:15 + 4:49}, {5:58 = 6:20 + 4:48}} ::: great session!

grass/dirt mushy but at least i could hit it hard on there. water finally drying out a bit… lucky. it’ll flood soon again tho :F

loved those 75%/25% mile reps. just hit a mod tempo for 0.75 mi, then dropped teh hammer.

ate something too heavy/spicy at 3 PM, wrecked my stomach bad. had heart burn for most of the session (until maybe the last 15 minutes). Kinda knew it was too heavy but was starving. fail. Oh, I wanted a solid ramen bowl but their kitchen closes from 3PM-5PM, so had to settle on this other spot. Ramen bowl probably would have made me feel superb.

happy with this session.

right calf painful if I straighten out completely (standing up), ie, very tight in one spot - where it cramped. didn’t feel it at all during my AM or PM run… so, kinda think i can keep training without it being a problem. We’ll know tomorrow for sure though… if this session doesn’t prevent me from running tmw morning, then it’s fine. I hit some solid paces this session while being “fatigued” so… good stress test.

the shoes I ran in have like 800 miles on them now… lmao!!! they feel SO PERFECT.

peace!

1 Like

Yea, it definitely could be something like that. I eat pretty good but not sure, easy to deplete in this heat/humidity.

Only other thing I can think of, is just what kind of position I was in when it happened. I was lying down, coding, with legs semi bent for about an hour. I haven’t done that in a long time. So could have just been something to do with that.

But ya, as for the nutritional side, i’ve been drinking even more sugary (natural fruit juices)/electrolyte drinks since then. Got more bananas etc.

That stupid cramp definitely “damaged something” slightly, kinda incredible… can run for 3 hours, hills etc, then a cramp lying down programming wrecks something… twisted. lmao.

Feels fine when running, so that’s a great sign. Need to prevent this from happening in the future though, that’s for sure.

As for calcium, ya maybe. I stopped drinking milk (directly) a while ago and haven’t had any milkshakes recently lol. Don’t like supplementing stuff… Need to maybe analyze my actual vitamin/mineral intake a bit.

Probably going to crush some grapefruit tmw after my AM run… :smiley:

Thanks man!

1 Like

Never stop drinking milk :slight_smile: the best nutrition ever.
Hope the calves are heeling up quickly, they should.
After all a cramp is “just” the muscle really working out.
However

This has gone on for a long time my friend.
I have no clue of what to do, that one you must figure out yourself.

This looks at and wonders a bit, wanted to ask for a while? sub5 mile: One mile in under 5 minutes and similar one km under 3 minutes. Test runs or during longer runs?

1 Like

I agree, it is, but it’s just too risky for my stomach. I absolutely love milk so, if I have it, i’ll drink alot of it. Since cutting it out way back, i’ve had way less stomach issues. I also cut out other things like caffeine (for the most part), and that helped with my stomach as well. I think my stomach is pretty delicate - it’s easy for something to cause it to go nuclear and ruin my running. Things like jalapenos, milk, caffeine, fried foods / tons of grease → can really wreck me.

Hah. Yea, an involuntary maximal contraction jaja. Yea it really wrecked that one spot where it cramped. Today it feels alot better. I think it’s almost healed!

Yea it’s very odd. Maybe they just “grew” and my body feels them more, or something weird like that. It’s hard to explain but, I feel them alot when i’m not running… ie if I just get up and walk they can feel so thick and odd. But then when i’m running, they feel great.

Unfortunately i’m going to add another one to that list, but for hamstrings. Been months now for my left medial hamstring/adductor insertion. I feel that ever since I stretched my adductors and reinjured it. It healed but, it still clicks every damn day, especially when getting up from a “squatted” position, ie squatting down to pick up a dog toy and standing back up to chuck it, it’ll click.

Then I don’t feel it when i’m running… If I felt it when running, i’d have to stop, because that means it’s ready to tear again. I tore it way back in ~2008 or so. Resurfaces/retears once in a while. Last one was a few months ago, stretching adductors after a run, retore it slightly (very small tear I imagine) which lasted a few weeks. So now it’s healed, but now it also clicks in some weird way. bleh!

Can be anything, part of a segment of a run, a race, etc. As long as I get a sub5 split or sub3 km, I count it in the grand total for this year. I’m just tracking those specific numbers because those are most important to me. Everything I plan on doing depends on having some serious horse power in the mile.

peace man!!

1 Like

Autographed photo from the 800m world record holder, and a bracelet!

Will post more photos later… lucked out on this one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkA1-Lolfjn/

"i really lucked out with this one. HUGE thanks to @the_kenya_experience for putting together this IG contest, and getting the winners a custom bracelet AND an autographed photo from the #LEGENDARY 800m world record holder David Rudisha @rudisha800m… incredible :running_man::running_man::running_man::muscle::muscle::muscle::kenya::kenya::kenya::us::us::us: "

1 Like

light day.

awesomeness … a few more photos of the bracelet tmw. need to take a better photo of the “ADARQ” engraving :smiley:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkA1-Lolfjn/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkBTv2dltDb/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkBUGPHFd07/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

also:

man… so much gas all day, and during my running… stomach/GI kinda wrecked. All of this from that meal yesterday. It’s definitely better today than last night, but damage was done. Tomorrow it should be alot better I imagine, ate very clean tonight.

06/14/2018

bw = 142
soreness = bottoms of feet slightly, hamstrings barely
aches/injuries = right calf/gastroc barely (improved alot), left/right ankle/achilles barely - on occasion
cramping = none
morning hamstring flexibility = loose, left medial hamstring/adductor insertion still clicking, for months now, ever since I re-tweaked it stretching my adductors
morning calf flexibility = loose/thick, calves feel so damn thick, been going on for months.
feel = great
hours sleep: 7.5

HR low: 35

log:
08:10 AM: food: rxbar, water
09:00 AM: workout: very light trot (grass/dirt/rocks, hot af, felt great): 57 minutes ::: happy with those paces given the very easy effort
10:00 AM: food: beet juice, water
10:45 AM: food: dunkin donuts: frozen mocha coffee w/ whipped cream, 2 x egg & cheese wrap, water
12:00 PM: water
02:45 PM: food: ramen lab: ground chicken + ramen bowl, 4 x lindor chocolates (fu*k I love these), water
04:30 PM: food: protein bar, water
07:00 PM: water
08:00 PM: workout: 1h:50min light (grass/dirt): {1h:15m, beautifully light progression, from 10:32 to 7:17} + c/d
10:15 PM: food: beet juice, 3 x grapefruit, 2 x banana, protein bar, 2 x emergen-C + water, tons of water
11:45 PM: leg drain while reading: 30 minutes

workout: very light trot (grass/dirt/rocks, hot af, felt great): 57 minutes ::: happy with those paces given the very easy effort

workout: 1h:50min light (grass/dirt): {1h:15m, beautifully light progression, from 10:32 to 7:17} + c/d

avg 128 BPM… kinda insane if accurate. nice.

felt great.

2 Likes

Ah caught up again! Putting in some mileage these days mate! Good to see you are getting under 5min/m pretty consistently to. That is some really good pace!

I have a question… Do you ever still get stitches? Was it ever a problem for you? I very rarely get them but when I do, they are pretty nasty.

1 Like

Thanks alot man!!

Yea, I was plagued by them. When they hit, i’m crippled. I think it’s mostly diet/hydration related for myself. I’ve gotten that mostly under control since December 2017. Prior to that, i’d get stomach cramps often in races, long runs, etc. If I eat something I shouldn’t, eat “too much” without drinking enough water etc, it can cause a domino effect and end up wrecking me. “Super-hydrating” has really seemed to help. I think before I used to eat big meals, and not drink enough water to help process it, resulting in my stomach freaking out. That seemed to be one of the factors leading to a stitch. Now, I drink tons of water throughout the day and alot for each meal. Initially I was peeing my brains out but now it seems i’ve gotten used to it.

Side stitches were a problem for me my entire life (with running, not basketball), until last December. I still feel them coming on sometimes when i’m running, and i’ll dial it back a bit or go drink water @ a fountain etc, which usually helps.

Drinking something like gatorade on the other hand, can destroy me. I can feel great during a run, drink some gatorade mid-run, or have a GU, and my stomach can completely implode. So I tend to just stick to water at this point.

But ya I feel you on “pretty nasty”. When i’d get them, once they fully hit, couldn’t run at all. Had to stop.

peace!

1 Like

still need to post journal entry for yesterday, didn’t write it up yet… but here’s something quick from today!

unexpected 5k AND 2 mile PR. boom.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1641837177

Creek Hoops 5k: 17:33 official / 17:23 watch - 1st OA! Small race but turned out to be very fast/competitive! Ran with 3 of my friends, props to them, great battle!

Also, last mile = 5:28!!

Closing in on that sub17 folks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkFlysAly0X/

3 Likes