Adarqui's Journal

finally, full log from today! stomach alot better but still has some issues going on - but considerably better. legs feel great. knee feels fine. all soreness gone.

funny how wrecked my week got, but potentially rebounding out of it perfectly come “race day” tomorrow.

late signup for a 5k tmw (03/18/2018). Goal is to really push it crazy hard the first few miles. Push the limits practice.

pre-race workout.

stomach improved considerably since yesterday, but still jacked up. cramped at the end of my run … usually a bad sign … so hoping it’s nothing tomorrow.

one sign it’s jacked: oatmeal in the morning made it “even more hungry”, had a hungry/rumbling feeling.

last night before bed it was bloated af.

legs felt amazing though… hopefully they feel as good or better tomorrow.

03/17/2018

bw = 145
bw before bed last night = ?
soreness = none
aches/injuries = bottom of right big toe (jump rope) (GO AWAY fuck :raging:)
cramping = none
morning quad flexibility = loose
morning hamstring flexibility = loose
morning calf flexibility = loose
feel = good
hours sleep: 9.5

wakeup = 07:30 AM

log:
07:45 AM: oatmeal + pink salt, water
08:30 AM: workout:
overslept - missed long run with folks → morning pre 5k race test (grass): 3 mi progression @ {7:10, 6:37, 5:49} ::: legs felt good, no tweaks, we’ll see tomorrow though - late signup 5k tmw on grass!!!
10:00 AM: food: rxbar, beet juice
11:15 AM: water
11:30 AM: head/face shave! game time!
01:00 PM: food: anthony’s: 10 chicken wings, water w/ lemon
02:00 PM: food: kilwins: double peanut butter pie milkshake with whipped cream while browsing art
03:00 PM: art festival: picked up a painting! lol.
04:00 PM: food: whole foods: (while waiting for my glasses to get their new lenses): beet juice, tart cherry juice, rxbar, water
07:00 PM: food: beet juice, some cashews, some fresh multigrain sourdough, water

beet juicing the fuck up today… just want to overdose on it.

• stomach was feeling bad after run, but got alot better after chicken wings
  • still so much better than earlier → good sign.

workout:
overslept - missed long run with folks → morning pre 5k race test (grass): 3 mi progression @ {7:10, 6:37, 5:49} ::: legs felt good, no tweaks, we’ll see tomorrow though - late signup 5k tmw on grass!!!

my first ever race on grass tomorrow! actually excited about it… love running on grass.

if i feel good, just going to drop teh hammer early. need to practice going out a bit harder & then hanging on. Plus i’ll feel Kenyan on grass soooo, should be good.

wanted to test my legs just a little bit before tomorrow… wanted the confidence knowing they would be ok. mission accomplished. now, just hoping i didn’t aggravate anything. feel pretty good though so, hopefully everything is on the right track.

1 Like

Ok i’m all caught up. Will do better this week at journaling consistently. My problem is I put it off until the evening (because that’s when i’m done with the day’s log), but now I sleep so early that by the time that comes around, I need to get in bed. So now that i’ve figured that out, will adjust accordingly.

On that note, Lebron’s dunk from the other night:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgZHSfBBQkH/?utm_source=ig_embed

1 Like

Also this is a great clip of running form (goal running form). This is Julien Wanders, he’s legit. He’s also been training in Kenya for a long time now. He’s been winning huge 10k’s/halfs, and setting tons of NZ records.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHGcmND_yM/?utm_source=ig_embed

when your legs are turning over that quick & have that ROM, you know you are flying.

really solid clip.

1 Like

some more photos from that 5k a few weeks ago, they took so many nice shots:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgOdM6wD4Ov/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgRzS-XD17h/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgR0PzujJO-/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

it’s funny what kind of photos you get when there’s a professional photgrapher on the scene.

4 Likes

Didn’t read all, hope your knee will be alright for the race.
Good luck on the race, put the hammer down from the starting line, then pick up the pace along the way and end it with a sprint :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks man!!

funny you mentioned the end… turned out to be a complete clusterfu*k. none of us knew where to go, everything got wrecked. 1st place guy literally hopped a fence, I went around, 3rd place guy followed me.

hilarious & frustrating … but more hilarious.

Turned out to be a serious race haha!!!

Knee held up GREAT. Everything felt great. Also totaled 14 miles and feel really good. Made some new running friends.

5 Likes

Here’s a quick long story (lol):

As i’m getting out of my car, I see that dude who beat me in the 10k … so we said sup & talked real quick, then in my mind: time for redemption!!!

Anyway, did like I said and went out HARD. Happy about my first 2 splits, especially considering the course:

5:32, 5:42 which turned out to be a 11:14 2 miler, -6s off of my 2 mile PR on road & track … so that’s pretty awesome.

I went out very hard because I wanted to get a big lead on that great runner… I had a really solid lead after 1 mile, more so after 1.5, but then it started dwindling by two. By 2.5, he caught me… wrecked. He was probably ~10s ahead of me as we got to the final turn, but he finished ~50s earlier than me in the official stats, which is all i’m really annoyed about. Because it makes it look like I got dusted. FUCK.

Anyway, on the final turn, there was no direction, and it went into a huge field with two different sets of “flags” on the ground … I didn’t see the set which indicated making a HARD RIGHT. So I ended up going the completely wrong direction and onto the football field from the wrong side. I basically lost like 30s on my official 5k time… which i’m fine with but, not considering that #1 got 17:17 and I got 18:05 … That’s what bugs me. I should have gotten ~17:30 at least.

Anyway, he went the wrong way too but ran through this forest which was blocking the finish line area, and hopped a fence onto the football field.

Pretty nuts… LMFAO!!!

Whatever. He beat me straight up that’s for sure.

I was really hoping to break his will come 2 miles… but man, a guy like that, you just can’t do it. He will keep fighting. When he past me he was sucking so much wind, sounded like he was toast… but he just kept pushing. He wanted it more than me that’s for sure.

Very hard course, several little hills, lots of turns, patchy grass, thick grass, etc. REAL XC.

The real story of this race is the 3rd place guy. I’ve seen him at some races before, cool guy … mainly runs 19:30-20:XX’s etc. Today he ran 18:35 WITH THE MESS UP. He followed me. So he was more like 18:10 or so. Massive PR. pretty cool. He has more of my style. Just wants to race, not look at his watch.

So, 18:05 official, 17:48 watch (but that was with a 6:15 min/mi pace for the last 0.1 mi, not knowing where to go), so more like low 17:30’s for sure. Closing in on that sub17 … need to get one on a road (on a nice course) in the next few months.

17:30’s-17:40’s for a REAL XC style 5k, very happy about it.

peace!!! will post data in a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgehiteDMu5/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

4 Likes

btw… this park I raced at, never heard of it before. It seems pretty popular in the Football scene. Tons of pros show up there to hold camps, support the youth/h.s. games etc, workout, etc. Lots of crazy clips on IG.

Ives Estates Park

instagram.com/explore/locations/647785650/ives-estates-park/

just a few NFL’rs to show up:

Gronk, Vick, Sio Moore, Le’Veon Bell

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeHMc63nAJ9/?taken-by=ivesestatespark

https://www.instagram.com/p/BethHLSF3gF/?taken-by=ivesestatespark

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYMgDMUARR-/?taken-by=ivesestatespark

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYMTiQigUY5/?taken-by=ivesestatespark

Ocho Cinco out there filming:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgFaOApFto3/?taken-at=647785650

Also, this dude has some nutty videos: a footwork/speed guy

instagram.com/goldfeetglobal/

some jets WR

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeZVw79jh9J/?taken-by=goldfeetglobal

him with pros @ Carter Park (my fav track/park)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgaDoR4nH8g/?taken-by=goldfeetglobal

I can’t find the video I saw earlier of the trainer himself, but man he’s explosive/crazy coordinated…

Look at this fu*kn dude, he’s kind of nuts:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgVDsIBjsIA/?taken-at=647785650

People doing boxing training out there:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgEqgboBM8D/?taken-at=647785650

Welcome to Miami… athletics.

anyway … solid park for some LONG grass runs… i could def see myself going out there on a weekend and getting in some 20 milers on grass, lots of stuff to keep me pre-occupied.

they posted a clip of the start … got a few seconds of run footage in:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgdp9cKHwfx/?taken-by=ivesestatespark

^^ kinda cool right… go do a race, find out about all kinds of cool stuff. ehehe.

*if you only check out one thing … check out the @goldfeetglobal ig … some pretty sick videos

1 Like

Going to post my full log from now on, makes things easier, since I can basically copy & paste! Plus, it has diet etc.

5k race day yaaaaaaA!@!#!@$!

03/18/2018

bw = 144
soreness = none!
aches/injuries = none!
cramping = none
feel = good
hours sleep: 7

wakeup = 05:00 AM

log:

05:15 AM: GU, oatmeal + tons of pink salt + tons of honey, lots of electrolyte water
06:45 AM: workout: w/u + race + extra miles: Schiffy 5k: 2 OA (lead for 2.5mi). 3mi @ 17:08 (BIG PR!). 2mi PR 11:14 @ {5.32, 5.42}! insane finish, we (top3) got lost at the end (confusing, no direction): 1st hopped a fence (17:17), i went around (18:05), 3rd followed me. nuts. lmfao but frustrating
08:00 AM: food: rxbar, water
08:10 AM: more workout ^
10:00 AM: food: at race: some vegan burger stuff, some mini empanadas, water
11:00 AM: food: grand luxe w/ aunt: chicken & waffles with tons of syrup, french toast with tons of syrup, some sourdough with butter, lots of water
01:30 PM: food: rxbar, water
03:00 PM: food: black tea
06:30 PM: food: 3 slices of sourdough multi grain, bunch of cashews, banana, water
08:30 PM: water

workout: (14 miles total): w/u,
Schiffy 5k: 2 OA (lead for 2.5mi). 3mi @ 17:08 (BIG PR!). 2mi PR 11:14 @ {5.32, 5.42}! :personal-record: insane finish, we (top3) got lost at the end (confusing, no direction): 1st hopped a fence (17:17), i went around (18:05), 3rd followed me. nuts. lmfao but frustrating, c/d

• 14.0 mi Run Activity on March 18, 2018 by Andrew D. on Strava
  • PR’s: :personal-record:
  • declaring a 17:39 5k PR :personal-record: and don’t give a fu*k… 17:08 for 3 mi & a 6:1X 0.15 (confused/lost) finish still came out to 17:48 watch time… so 17:39 is my time. kiss my ass wrecked course.
  • 3 mi @ 17:08 (-3s?)
  • 2 mi @ 11:14 (-6s)
  • 5k @ 17:39 (-4s)
  • cooper’s test: 2.13 mi in 12 minutes!
  • official 5k: 18:05
  • can’t even find the results … odd. they are empty on the main site: Ives 5K 2018

guy who hopped the fence was on the right path. i went way off course and yelled to the people yo where do i go. insane.

same guy who beat me for 10k last week, got me today. i had a big lead on him, but he closed it by about 2.5 and got me. wrecked

^^^ that small dip ~3/4th of the way into the first mile was me going up a very steep but small hill, got me to like 7:XX pace and it was only like 15 feet, but really steep … ruined my first split which i wanted to be sub 5:30 lol. fuqn “hill”.

17:08 for 3 mi (closing in on 3 @ sub17!!), but 18:05 for 5k (0.1 mi in nearly a minute? syke).

peace!!!

2 Likes

easy run/bw day.

03/19/2018

bw = 144
soreness = none!
aches/injuries = right knee barely, right big toe (fuck jump rope - or too much of it too soon :ninja:)
cramping = none
feel = good

wakeup = 04:40 AM

log:
05:00 AM: food: oatmeal + honey + pink salt, water
06:00 AM: workout: (~9 mi)
early morning stroll {very light, legs slightly dead, right knee a little achy): w/u, 1.5 hours @ 9:XX, c/d
08:15 AM: workout: bw
09:00 AM: food: 4 x eggs scrambled, blueberries, 4 belgian waffles w/ honey, water
11:00 AM: food: black tea
02:00 PM: food: work life: coffee + 4 creams + 4 sugars, water
05:00 PM: lots of water
07:00 PM: food: rxbar, a new kind of beet juice (was really good), water
08:30 PM: food: french bread + roasted red pepper hummus, prunes, 2 x water

workout:
early morning stroll {very light, legs slightly dead, right knee a little achy): w/u, 1.5 hours @ 9:XX, c/d

workout: bw

• very strong after that 1.5 hour light run!

S1: 3sec paused dead hang ng pullups: BW x 10
S1: full dips: BW x 13
S1: standing single leg abductions (full ROM): x 35
S1: calf raises (shoulder width): BW x 60 (so much glute/calf pump)

S2: 3sec paused dead hang chinups: BW x 10
S2: full dips - split stance: BW x 14
S2: standing single leg abductions (partial ROM): x 35
S2: calf raises (wide): BW x 60 (so much glute/calf pump)

S3: 3sec paused dead hang wide grip pullups: BW x 9
S3: full dips: BW x 14
S3: standing single leg abductions (full ROM): x 35
S3: calf raises (close): BW x 60 (so much glute/calf pump)

1 Like

I need to get on Strava and see what it’s about. I know many runners use it and maybe that would help with my goals?

Your runs motivate me to go bigger and challenge myself more this summer. I’ll let you know if I do any but my results will be nothing close to yours.

1 Like

Yeah strava is great. It’s the best “social running site” i’ve seen so far. They have lots of cool features, a decent blog/engineering data, segment battles, challenges etc. It’s solid. Sites like that definitely help you get a bit more serious about running, especially when all you have to do is just run with the app or a watch & it syncs to the site → then you see your data. Hit me up on there if you join!

My results weren’t too impressive when I started (23:50 5k?). You can most likely get substantially faster if you want: it just takes patience and the drive to get faster. It’s not only about those bottom line results tho (not directing this at you, just generally), progress is progress. \o/ Just like on here, some of the biggest logs aren’t elite athletes, but when the journey is well documented and the effort is evident, that’s what people are drawn to it seems. But ya, running gets more fun the better you get at it. It’s brutal but, it becomes brutally fun as time goes on hah.

peace!!!

2 Likes

Of course I’ll hit you up! That sounds great and I know a bunch of people in other states from work use it too. I wish there were more people where I’m at that run but maybe that app will help challenge me. It looks like you have a lot of fun and I would like to meet cool people and do the same. Do you travel other places to run?

1 Like

Nice!

Nope I haven’t traveled anywhere to run yet … only within ~50 miles, so → local.

Strava will help you find people in your area too. People sometimes find out about each other via the “fly by” feature (which you also have to be careful about, privacy zones around where you live etc). There’s also local running groups on there.

But ya, if there aren’t many people to run with over there, that can help make it more fun. Plus there’s virtual races and challenges etc… so just another way to potentially challenge yourself.

I used to run by myself only, then race. I much rather prefer to run with people, having a TEAM or just running with people is way better … love it. Running with a “pack” is a pretty cool feeling. I also progress alot faster when I train with people, brings out my competitiveness easier, leads to moar gainz.

pc!

2 Likes

quick post, complete log. preface: I don’t normally eat this many RXBar’s, going kind of nuts the last few days.

last hard workout before the coral springs half! fu*k, that’s going to be rough. lol.

got some run photos, will post some as the days go along.

this is ~5:3Xish pace (about a mile or so in), looking fairly comfortable, until 2.x mi when i started hurting. I’ve got some hurt photos… lool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjaVxBDmtM/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

03/20/2018

bw = 144
soreness = none!
aches/injuries = right knee barely, right big toe (fuck jump rope - or too much of it too soon :ninja:)
aches/injuries after track = both ankles achy, left ankle also bruise from clipping myself with my sharp rc5000v2’s (takes skin off, rugged grip), calves tight
cramping = none
feel = good

wakeup = 04:30 AM

log:
05:00 AM: food: oatmeal + honey + pink salt, water
05:45 AM: workout:
morning track w/ Loco Rio! 5 x 3:30 on/1:00 jog @ {pace: 6:10,5:46,5:46,5:34,5:37} + 5 x 40s/40s @ {pace: 4:59, 5:09, 5:17, 4:53, 4:14} + 3@7ish + long c/d :: happy with last ~210 @ 32.3s (relaxed acceleration, moving pace 3:40 lul)
09:30 AM: food: rxbar, 2 x banana, lots of water
12:30 PM: food: (late): 4 x egg sandwich on french bread which was lined with an avocado + roasted pepper hummus & some sauteed mushrooms, banana, lots of water
03:00 PM: food: wanted some kind of desert but only had rxbars, so, another rxbar, water
08:00 PM: food: 3 x sourdough multigrain with lots of roasted red pepper hummus, prunes, water

workout:
morning track w/ Loco Rio!
5 x 3:30 on/1:00 jog @ {pace: 6:10,5:46,5:46,5:34,5:37}
+
5 x 40s/40s @ {pace: 4:59, 5:09, 5:17, 4:53, 4:14}
+
3@7ish
+
long c/d
happy with last ~210 @ 32.3s (relaxed acceleration, moving pace 3:40 lul)

great session!!

absolutely drenched.

very happy with that last ~210m (lane 3 or 4 offset) … relaxed accel but still hit some solid speed. Afterwards I realized I should have just kept it going until 300m or 400m, since it was my last one). Derp. Pretty sure I can drop sub30 200’s much easier now than in December.

^^ my last ~210m. nice.

nice.

really let my hips open up today, while trying to stay relaxed. sometimes I find myself just fighting my pace, ie, to go slower it seems like i’m expending MORE energy … so really let my legs just flap around, gave me alot more speed while still keeping me pretty relaxed. I mean, that kind of running is my “end goal”, to run with kenyan-ish form always and just fly when I want.

Also, just realized i’m still #1 on the FAU track 1 lap segment:

jajajaja.

2 Likes

Rxbars are one of my favorite treats… I use them to motivate me on long ski tours… “Make it over the next rise and past that tree, and I get to eat the peanut butter one…” Works like a charm.

3 Likes

Hah nice!! Solid strategy lool.

Ya the PB one is definitely my favorite, followed by the chocolate/sea salt one, and then blueberry. I love how they only have ~5 ingredients too.

I gave a few to some people I ran with and they’ve been addicted to them ever since… lmao.

1 Like

last light workout before coral springs half! feet feel so wrecked. need to rest the next two days.

sufferfest.

~2.7 mi in to the 3.1. i’m hurting. we’re both hurting. lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgl-qJjj6qE/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgl_EoljhFT/

03/21/2018

bw = 142
soreness = none!
aches/injuries = left ankle slightly, right knee barely, right big toe (fuck jump rope - or too much of it too soon :ninja:)
aches/injuries after run = right big toe/right PF annoyed bad, right hip barely, calves tight
cramping = none
feel = good
hours sleep: 9

wakeup = 06:30 AM (slept in, needed it)

log:
06:40 AM: food: oatmeal + honey + pink salt, water
07:45 AM: workout: morning light run (grass, legs dead, feet sore): w/u, 1 hour @ 7:XX / ~8 mi, c/d ::: ok. taking 2 full days off before Saturday’s half marathon race!!
09:10 AM: food: rxbar, water
09:15 AM: workout: bw
10:15 AM: food: beet juice, bacon egg & cheese sandwich
01:30 PM: food: kapow: egg fried rice with extra chicken, tons of water w/ lemon
01:55 PM: food: le macaron: extra thick milkshake with whipped cream
02:30 PM: water
05:00 PM: water
07:00 PM: food: rxbar, water
08:00 PM: food: 2 x banana, oatmeal + pink salt + honey, prunes, water
08:45 PM: leg drain: 30 minutes

workout:
morning light run (grass, legs dead, feet sore): w/u, 1 hour @ 7:XX / ~8 mi, c/d ::: ok. taking 2 full days off before Saturday’s half marathon race!!

workout: bw

• strong

S1: 3sec paused dead hang ng pullups: BW x 10
S1: full dips: BW x 14
S1: standing single leg abductions (full ROM): x 40
S1: calf raises (shoulder width): BW x 50

S2: 3sec paused dead hang chinups: BW x 10
S2: full dips - split stance: BW x 15
S2: standing single leg abductions (partial ROM): x 40
S2: calf raises (wide): BW x 60

S3: 3sec paused dead hang wide grip pullups: BW x 8

2 Likes

Full rest until saturday’s half marathon. Need to recover my feet mostly, especially that right big toe/PF issue. I imagine i’ll be fine for the race. 2 days rest is alot for me. Just going to do some very light walking each morning, in my race shoes, to get ready2go in them.

Apparently it’s going to be ~58-60F for the race… perfect!

2 Likes

complete rest! trying to recover fully for Saturday’s half marathon race.

legs feel great. right big toe improving.

03/22/2018

bw = 143
soreness = none!
aches/injuries = left ankle barely, right knee barely, right big toe slightly
cramping = none
feel = good
hours sleep: 9.5

wakeup = 08:00 AM (slept in, needed it)

log:
08:10 AM: food: oatmeal + honey + pink salt, water
09:00 AM: workout: 4.4 mi @ 1.5 hours:
very light morning recovery walk (legs good, feet improving): 1.5 hours at sub80 heart rate.
10:30 AM: food: rxbar, water
11:00 AM: food: belgian waffles with honey, avocado, 4 x eggs, blueberries, raspberries, 2 x banana, water
03:00 PM: food: whole foods: tons of orange chicken, rice, some cashew chicken, beet juice
04:30 PM: water
08:00 PM: food: rxbar, cashews, prunes, watermelon juice, strawberry/flax oatmeal, 4 slices of sourdough rye, water

workout: 4.4 mi @ 1.5 hours:
very light morning recovery walk (legs good, feet improving): 1.5 hours at sub80 heart rate.

feeling good. hoping to feel like a monster on saturday.

2 Likes