Adarqui's Journal

hah, nah … those shoes are BRUTAL. I wouldn’t wear them for more than a 5k, and even a 5k is pushing it. They really “shock” your quads, but they also seem to be really responsive … so a very stiff but responsive feel, really intense.

I can’t wait to race a mile in them … that’s for sure. My first mile race of the year (whenever that is), i’ll be wearing those. :smiley:

IMHO i think it’s more superficial, not deep like Psoas etc. Feels more like rectus/oblique tying in to the Aponeurosis. I’ve had stuff like that for as long as I can remember, comes and goes & always freaks me out. Yea, have to be careful with it for sure.

hah! thanks alot! yea, need to keep improving and get Kenyan fast. Then it’ll be much more envious :smiley:

peace!

2 Likes

hah yea, especially “noob runners” who start out fast because of the excitement, end up wrecking themselves. I mean even experienced runners do it, but more so with novices. You just feel so good early on and don’t realize (or forget) that you can’t just hold that feeling forever (if it’s too intense for the goal distance).

Thanks alot!! Yea they really “pop”, very intense green. They are definitely as fast as they look hah.

peace!

1 Like

03/08/2018

workout: morning tempo w/ runlikeagirl:
3 mi w/u @ 7:2X
6 mi progression @ {6:54,6:45,6:39,6:22,6:08,5:21 (6:0X to 4:57 = 5:21)}
very happy with that last mile.
friday = complete rest.
saturday = my first 10k race! :smiley: :smiley: \o/

legs feeling a bit beat up today, even during the session. Need a full day of rest tomorrow. Should be flying on Saturday if everything works out as intended.

goal for this 10k is to avg sub6 pace, so 5:5x.

after the 10k, me and a few others are meeting up and are going to run another 10k but at moderate effort, probably progression run it a bit (start at 7 and work back down to whatever), as long as we all stick together.

so this is going to be a race + extra moderate miles = workout.

teh 6 mile tempo:

kinda nuts that i hit that 5:21 in the last mile (mile 9 overall) … i started it a little slow too because Andrea’s mile wasn’t done … so that last mile was definitely more of the 5:1X range which is kinda crazy IMHO. :ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning: :ibrunning:

as wrecked as i felt today, i also felt incredibly powerful/fit/fast etc… so, even tho i was beat up, i was flying.

one thing I noticed is, during our progression, my breathing was mostly controlled/relaxed, i could convo pace easily until about < 6:30… hah. nuts.

anyway, happy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgEvadyjuux/?utm_source=ig_embed

2 Likes

^^ oh also, some 51.x 400m sprinter (17 y/o) I met at the track:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgD-8-ZjUl-/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgEIzBbj4uH/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

he’s flying in that clip. 150m repeats, walk back recovery.

he said he wants 48.x @ 400m before college… beastmode.

2 Likes

03/09/2018:

bw = ?

workout: (fasted) very light morning recovery walk (thick grass): 4 miles ::: a few ‘tweaks’ still lingering but should feel great tomorrow. Also it’s freezing outside @ 53F - for Floridians that’s arctic. 10k race tmw!

As for those tweaks … left hamstring tendon tweak when kicking a ball for the pup, left & right quads tendons slightly most likely from doing lunges AFTER running → think it could be too intense for me right now … still want to do them, just might need to do less volume. I mean I only did 3 x 10 each leg, but maybe i’ll go back to something like 3 x 5 each leg … I just need that deep ROM stimulus and I don’t want to do it in another session later on. So I need to figure out how to do lunges AFTER doing ~1 hour of light (or light progression with hard finish) running. Seems to just be “too much”, but it shouldn’t be. So just going to cut volume into some really minuscule volume to see if I can slowly adapt to it. I’ve done this before with lunges, but actually the opposite: lunges then light running → which is beyond stupid. I should be able to do light running for an hour and then hit some lunges FFS.

A few photos from the 5k last sat!! I have a few more i’ll post later.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHAqFmjbRI/?taken-by=andrewdarqui
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHQ56GDWnb/?taken-by=andrewdarqui
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHRBTmjWzI/?taken-by=andrewdarqui

^^ dude looks like he’s ready to kill me… LMFAO.

some cool shots… pro photographer makes a difference, they can capture something extra in a shot. IMHO these shots are solid. I rarely get good photos after a race, these quite possibly could be my favorite. There’s a few more good ones too!

I have my first 10k race tomorrow! Ate good all day (including steak fried rice to give me even more protein in addition to the 4 eggs earlier, it had a ton of steak, medium rare but I ordered it medium … anyway, good for T), rested, just had my beet juice, prunes, and cashews haha. About to go to sleep.

Hoping to win it (or at least top 3) with a 36:5X 10k, which would be 5:56 min/mi pace. Based on my workouts this week, i’m definitely good for it. So we’ll see. Hoping my legs/tweaks feel great and I can just run, no worries.

gn!!!

4 Likes

Good luck and I’m excited to see how you did :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks so much!! Will give T-Nation an update tomorrow morning :smiley: :smiley:

Hoping to bring back the W. 8|

goodnight!

1 Like

Good luck tomorrow brother.

Keep the pics coming, they’re awesome!

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Good luck my running friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man! Will do :slight_smile: this event usually has a great photographer, so should get a few shots.

peace!

Thanks alot man!!

Also cool to see you got the CoC + bands etc, the grip game is fun.

2 Likes

Thanks man!!

Eating my “pre-race meal” (or important pre-training run meal) right now:

“gluten free” oatmeal (w/ flax, comes with it) + tons of pink salt + tons of honey, and some electrolyte water. Also had a small GU which has 20mg caffeine.

feel pretty good … got ~6.5 hours sleep probably… decent before a race. lmao.

2 Likes

btw… dunk of the year thus far?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgIWPqthPi6/?taken-by=dunkademics

disgusting. so disgusting I felt like posting it.

1 Like

No worries! And it’ll definitely be exciting to progress to the next level grippers.

1 Like

No lace-lock/runners loop on the kicks?

2 Likes

Never tried anything like that before. My heel doesn’t slide though, so maybe i’m just lucky hah.

Quick update, before a bigger later update!

2nd overall @ 37:13 official

37:04 watch (previous PR = 39:53 a few weeks ago during my half), so nearly a 3 minute improvement… haha.

Had to battle hard for second… I was ~20+ seconds back at mile 4 or so. Had to end it with a 5:50 mile & a strong 0.2 mi kick to get 2nd. Overtook #2 (my friend) at probably ~5.6 miles (out of 6.2). So I was in 3rd for 5.6 miles … haha. First time ever “hunting someone down”.

Also, my training partner got 4th overall & 1st for women, PR’d her 10k by nearly 40s.

I was really hoping she could catch my bro and beat him for 3rd… lmfao.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgJqgiwjhgg/

Finally, the guy who won it was 55. Dropped ~36:20. Dude looks like he is in incredible shape, and obviously he is. That’s one thing I love about running: getting beat by “old” people or women. 55 is pretty “old” when it comes to running, but these dudes are still out there crushing people. Good motivation/inspiration.

will post more details later!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

\o/

6 Likes

My heel doesn’t slide either, I just like the snugness it provides, without crushing the top of my foot.

I’m not trying to change up your game (you are killing it!), I just noticed that you didn’t lace up the last set of eyelets on your new shoes… I know before I found out about race looping I always looked at that last set like “wtf?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea sometimes i’ve actually looped my laces through that hole lmao, but I had no idea about that. I’m going to try it with another pair of shoes in a bit, to see what this is about.

Thanks for the info man! Will report back.

1 Like