T Nation

Adapting to Workouts, HRX?

1.We all know you have to change up your workout or your body will get used to it and plateau. does taking an adaptogen affect this at all? would it make the new(er) program “surprise” your body less? I would love to take something like rhodiola, but if it comes down to it I would rather have effective sessions in the gym.

2.when taking a thermogenic like HRX, how does the body not become used to having help with the metabolism and become less effective when you go off of it? I currently take HRX and LOVE it, but i’m a little concerned that when i stop taking it my bod will be used to having the extra kick and my natural metabolism will be slower.

I have had the same concerns with you regardinging HRX. I have found that taking a week off every 4 to 6 weeks helps becoming adapted to it.

Also, depending on my seasonal goal, Alpha Male, Spike, or Power Drive might be more effective.

Currently, with intramurals and other sports starting up, I have been working on improving my cardio side, and thus my strength side isn’t my main focus. HRX has helped with losing weight, which in turn is easier to run. For me, it’s alot easier moving around and be more agile at 155 than at 175.

Sometime October, intramurals will be over, and then I’ll re-focus on improving my strength side, and HRX may not necessarilly be the best thing for me. I imagine my body weight will be in the upper 160’s.

[quote]steezy wrote:
1.We all know you have to change up your workout or your body will get used to it and plateau. does taking an adaptogen affect this at all? would it make the new(er) program “surprise” your body less? I would love to take something like rhodiola, but if it comes down to it I would rather have effective sessions in the gym.[/quote]

You’re looking at this the wrong way. Don’t you want your body to get bigger and stronger in response to your workouts. It’s called adaptation.

Besides, all one usually needs are subtle changes to their program, if that, to keep progressing. It’s not about “surprising” the body.

It just depends on whether there’s a feedback mechanism involved in the pathway through which a supplement works.

I don’t believe this is the case with HRX, although I do think it’s good to cycle off periodically to keep getting maximal effects. I prefer 1 to 2 weeks off after every 6 weeks of use.