T Nation

Adapting/Changing the Schemes of My Workout

I just have a few questions on adapting or changing the schemes of my workout if these following scenarios are happening.

Increase protein intake if your not getting stronger each week
Decrease carb intake if your waist is not getting smaller each week

assuming that one is working out 3-4 times a week and trying to get stronger and lose body fat

whats the question again? are u asking if u should implement those scenarios for the desired result?

You can probably make strength gains and lose body fat at the same time as a complete beginner, but after some point of training, it's probably better to pick one of the two goals and stick with that. It becomes increasingly harder to do both as your experience and time under the bar goes up, regardless of your protein/carb manipulation.

@vinnie Yea thats my question

@nate, ok how will you know when it happens? The problem with me cutting is that every time i do it, no matter how hard i try, my strength decreases alot and i dont know what to do, maybe its my nutrition, i dont know i just need help

Would it be more effective using my noob gains to bulk up properly or to try and get stronger/leaner at the same time? and how do i know if im still able to have noob gains

I'm still pretty new to the iron game, so I can't really speak from experience on this subject. I am about four weeks into my bulking diet, and I am gaining a lot of weight and only a little bit more body fat than before. Before I got semi-serious about the diet aspect, I felt like I would eat protein all day and still seem to lose weight. My strength gains were minimal as well.

Then I started using fitday.com to track my calorie intake, as well my P/C/F ratios. As it turns out (and like most people say on this forum) I wasn't eating enough. Sure, I had about 200g of protein daily, but the calories just weren't there--my job is a fast-paced job with lots of lifting and assembling which was also burning calories in addition to my training.

Once I figured that out, I just aimed to eat about 500 calories MORE per day than I was burning. My weight is going up and I look a little bit bigger already. I'm still only on my first cycle of 5/3/1 so I can't really comment on strength gains, but I will say each workout I am adding more reps or more weight than the previous workout (only on assistance exercises, though).

Anyway, the point of my story is that I think you should start keeping a food log... a site like fitday.com is perfect because all you have to do is type in what you have eaten every day and find the food you're looking for, and then input the quantity of that food that you ate. The website does all the rest (P/C/F ratios, total calories, calories from P/C/F respectively, calories burned vs. consumed, ect). It's super easy, free and essential to progress, at least in the beginning.

I wouldn't expect a lot of strength gains while you are trying to cut down, either. If I were in your situation, I would take extreme notes on everything you eat every day down to the last detail, make ABSOLUTELY sure you're burning more calories than expending (but limit it to about 400-500 calorie deficit) make sure you are getting adequate protein and good fats, limit carbs to morning/PWO, and drink buckets of water. Like I said before, though... I am still relatively new to this as well so all my recommendations could be way off. Hopefully some of the veterans will chip in and offer some advice as well.

In any case, good luck!

thanks alot nate, thats what im kind of going through right now, the first aspect of what you did (200 g protein a day and doing minimal gains)

i guess your gains increased alot after u in took more carbs and fats because your protein was up to par already?

Actually, I ate a lot more of everything, but especially fats and protein. Yesterday I took in about 300g of protein, 400g of carbs and 170g of fat which totaled about 4500 calories. I only actually ate about 200 more calories than I burned, however. My carbs were admittedly a bit on the high side, but from what I understand the bulking phase is a lot more forgiving diet-wise than a cut.

I think a lot of average joes just starting out would do well to just start eating about 4000 calories a day and increase/decrease based on personal judgement after a period of time has gone by.

I also found this thread which may help answer some of your questions: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/newb_qotw_when_to_cut

okay, thanks alot for your inputs man, but the troublesome thing is that im not sure how to calculate the nutrients and calories when my parents make me food (im chinese, so they obviously put a lot of oil etc,)

also at a beginning level right now i would just look to increase all my lifts. basically hop onto a beginner's program (starting strength, bill star's 5x5, etc) follow the program word for word. Eat properly and get enough sleep. you should be slapping weight on in no time.

Since ure just beginning u'll be increasing by a large amt. u'll know when ure starting to plateau cuz you will be adding weight to your lifts slowly to a point where you stall or get stuck. thats when its time to change, BUT be sure that your diet is in check. if you're benching 225 one week then start eating shit and not getting enough rest and stall the next week its not cuz u've plateau'd just cuz you haven't been feeding your body the nutrients it needs to grow.

Yes living at home and off your parents is hard but it can be done. If you can i'd start learning how to cook for yourself. I have a gf and i do most of the cooking and since she can't eat baked chicken breast 24/7 like i can, i make two meals when i cook, one for her and one for myself. It takes time and its a bitch but it gets the job done.

By no means am i an expert or claim to be i've just seen and done a lot and i've experienced what works for me and what doesn't. right now im on a "bulk" and i've put on about 10 lbs in 2 months eating over 4000 calories a day at a 55/30/15 split (protein/carb/fat) (didn't count veggies into carbs, and i eat quite a bit of veggies).

so you suggest that with my noob gains i should bulk rather than trying to get stronger and leaner at the same time?