ADA to RA

How high up should I be able to efficiently absorb on ADA landings before I switch to RA work?

I ask because I think I absorb energy well in repeated jumping drills and regular movements, but my depth jump tests come out telling me I have a reactive deficiency.

Anyways, my VJ is around 30" and I can’t get higher off of a box of any height. I have never trained depth jumps correctly before, so I just might not be able to turn the energy around, but I really don’t know.

Thanks,
RJ

How deep of a squat are you absorbing the landing in?

Progressing to a quicker absorbtion phase might have more transfer to a quicker reversal and power output.

What’s your ADA training like now?

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
How deep of a squat are you absorbing the landing in?

Progressing to a quicker absorbtion phase might have more transfer to a quicker reversal and power output.

What’s your ADA training like now?[/quote]

I’m approaching the end of track season, so I have no control over my own training right now.

In the past, I tried ADA landings a few times, but I tensed up my muscles and landed like a rock, not knowing this was incorrect.

And what do you mean by a quicker absorbtion phase? Less knee bend? Or do you just mean stay at about 30" and try to lock up as fast as possible?

Thanks,
RJ

[quote]RJ24 wrote:
And what do you mean by a quicker absorbtion phase? Less knee bend? Or do you just mean stay at about 30" and try to lock up as fast as possible?

Thanks,
RJ[/quote]

I think there’s a lot of room for variance here.

I think landing in a deep squat, working up to higher and higher boxes has a great effect on overall posterior chain power and strength.

However, at some point your “stay at 30” and try to lock up as fast as possible" is a good idea. Try to eliminate the “sag” when you land. Just drop and as soon as your feet contact, BAM, you are ready to reverse. This doesn’t neccessarily mean landing with very little knee bend, its just that the bend should be performed extremely quickly (really it should start before contact).