AD Weekends

On the anabolic diet, you still eat the same ammount of calories you eat on weekdays but just high carb and low fat and protein?

You have to find what works for you. If you can just carb for one day

Like Hagar said, you have to find what’s right for YOU.

But here’s my general recommendation regarding the carb up…

• The leaner one is, the more freedom they can have.

• If cutting with very low calorie intake during the regular week, it’s good to re-feed one’s body once a week or every other (regarding leptin levels and all that good stuff)…but unless one is already lean pretty lean, I’d stick with CLEAN carb sources (and foods in general) to carb up with. Maybe one or two cheat meals.

• If bulking and already taking in alot of calories, I’d simply just substitute the macros to include a high amount of carbs and keep the calorie levels the same or just slightly higher. And just like in the point above, the leaner one is, the more freedom they should be able to have regarding cheat foods.

That’s my personal and general recommendation. Again, everyone’s different. If you can survive a day of inhaling sweets and fried foods without gaining any fat, the more power to you.

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
Like Hagar said, you have to find what’s right for YOU.

But here’s my general recommendation regarding the carb up…

• The leaner one is, the more freedom they can have.

• If cutting with very low calorie intake during the regular week, it’s good to re-feed one’s body once a week or every other (regarding leptin levels and all that good stuff)…but unless one is already lean pretty lean, I’d stick with CLEAN carb sources (and foods in general) to carb up with. Maybe one or two cheat meals.

• If bulking and already taking in alot of calories, I’d simply just substitute the macros to include a high amount of carbs and keep the calorie levels the same or just slightly higher. And just like in the point above, the leaner one is, the more freedom they should be able to have regarding cheat foods.

That’s my personal and general recommendation. Again, everyone’s different. If you can survive a day of inhaling sweets and fried foods without gaining any fat, the more power to you. [/quote]

Good post, and something I’m just learning. Prior to my planned carbup next weekend I’ve been pretty much inhaling chocolate thickshakes and the like. Now, I intend to keep cals high but carb up in a far cleaner way - I’ve been putting on a fair bit of fat on weekends, sort of 3 steps forward 2 steps back. Even using only 1 carbup day, clean is definitely better unless you are single digit bodyfat (well, even then, but they can get away with it more).

[quote]danchubb wrote:
Good post, and something I’m just learning. Prior to my planned carbup next weekend I’ve been pretty much inhaling chocolate thickshakes and the like. Now, I intend to keep cals high but carb up in a far cleaner way - I’ve been putting on a fair bit of fat on weekends, sort of 3 steps forward 2 steps back. Even using only 1 carbup day, clean is definitely better unless you are single digit bodyfat (well, even then, but they can get away with it more). [/quote]

A couple of tricks I found that worked well for me was to have my dirty meals first then switch to cleaner foods, which kept me from feeling “over-carbed”.

The next thing is to start your carb-up after a workout instead of in the morning, which I liked since it lets you have a good PWO recovery plan once a week. I noticed that this required less of a carb-up to feel restored, 36 hours was plenty. So Friday afternoon/night is the time for dirty foods then eat clean on Saturday.

I need to get back on the AD. I miss it.

Thanks for the tip brant_drake, appreciated. I’m slowly dialling my AD in to personal use, experimenting with supps and stuff. tried the glycine / glutamine pwo, and didn’t like it. (Not to mention it tasting like ass). And yeah, I would do something like that but work late on friday and early on saturday ruins that as an option, however if work changes I intend to do that. My current goal is to AD down to single digit bodyfat then slowly gain again with carb cycling or some such.

By the way, I asked this in another thread but it was never answered - if one wants to cycle off the AD how does one go about reintroducing carbs? Sorry for off topic.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
By the way, I asked this in another thread but it was never answered - if one wants to cycle off the AD how does one go about reintroducing carbs? Sorry for off topic.[/quote]

There’s no set way. I’d say just start eating them, but if you really want to go gradual, I’d do something like this.

Week 1: Carbs PWO and a PPWO meal
Week 2: As above, carbs for breakfast and one other feed as well.
Week 3: Whatever changes to transition to your new eating plan.

Keep in mind that there is absolutely no scientific basis for what I suggested, lol. It’s just based of what makes sense to me. Maybe Hagar and Whey man know something about this.

Yeah, I had sort of thought that that would be the go - I tried a period of the ‘don’t diet plan’ after the AD without any transition. It didn’t work well at all. Same cals, different macros, a fatter fatter danchubb. That was my idea for when i start reintroducing carbs but we’ll see if anyone else can chime in. Thanks for that.

thanks for your inputs. I will see what works for me.

Any of you guys go ape shit on the carb up?

[quote]jit07 wrote:
Any of you guys go ape shit on the carb up? [/quote]

when i first started i would just eat all the things i craved during the week and id tend to over eat feeling very bloated to the point where i could barely move. as time goes by you get out of that phase and just eat cleaner. i dont really have a choice right now, because i work on weekends so my choices are pretty limited for carb ups. right now im just drinking a lot of milk because i do stock and its hard to walk around with food all day w/o getting bitched at. plus 2 gallons (whole) is about 4800 cals with a nice blend of protein,fat, and carbs.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
Any of you guys go ape shit on the carb up? [/quote]

I do and it works very, very well for me. However, I only load for one day. I was on it for a while about 18 months ago but stopped because I was getting fat from the two-day, uncontrolled loads and overeating, in general.

Earlier this fall I started with the Cheat to Lose Diet and saw some nice body composition changes and progress in the gym with the one day re-feeds. However, I felt lethargic on just about every day except for my low-carb days. After starting up on the AD again and applying Cycle Diet principles to it, I use my spike day as a day to load up on CHO and have felt incredible.

I have matured since my first run on the AD, though, so granola and grilled PB&J sandwiches feel like cheat foods to me. Cereal, bread, bagels, and white pasta serve as my base. I eat as much as I can on this day without feeling overly full and this has included dessert pizzas, Krispy Kreme, Papa Murphy’s, and Cold Stone during recent loads. It’s worth noting that I don’t eat oats, rice, or whole-wheat pasta at all on these days. I’d say I eat at least 6,000 calories on this day and a minimum of 700 grams CHO. Plenty of fat (2% milk, PB, cheese, butter, “dirty” foods) thrown in and I let the protein fall where it may (probably around 1g per/lb. of bodyweight).

-Zed