T Nation

Ad Hoc Recipe

My wife wasn't feeling good today. So it was up to me to cook lunch. I didn't really have a plan when I started; just kind of went with the flow. Here's the ingredients:

6 boneless / skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup of onion
2 fresh tomatoes
1 fresh green bell pepper
4 fresh celery stalks

I diced everything up into 1" pieces. First I browned the chicken down in a few tablespoons of olive oil. I lightly seasoned the chicken while it cooked with hot sauce, salt, and Tony Chachere's creole seaoning.

Next I added the onion, bell pepper, and celery. I let it all brown down, then added a little bit of water and let it simmer down. I repeated this a few times. Finally I added the tomatoes. After they cooked down a bit, I added a little more water, seasoned it again, and let it simmer for a while.

When it was all done, I served it over brown rice.

I cooked it by just playing around and experimenting but it came out really good and we're going to add it to our repitoire.

Anybody else have any simple quick recipes like this?

Do a search for JB's chilli recipe..I've made 2 batches in the past 2 weeks. You can make it quickley by buying minced garlic and shredded carrots but it is even better if you use everything fresh. Take about an hour or two to prepare but you can make many servings out of it.

Doesn't sound bad at all. I noticed you use Tony Chachere's seasoning. Props to you. That is an absolute staple in my house and all of us down here. It makes anything palatable.

I've read your posts for months now and never realized you were from Louisiana too. Tony's goes into almost everything we cook.

Really? I figured I was an outspoken cajun here. But I had a feeling that you were from here when I read this. Yeah, Tony's is the shit.

I use a similar recipe for similar purposes. It makes an excellent "stir-fry" also. If I may, add a clove or two of gaaaahhhhlic just after the onions and peppers but before the tomatoes.

And Tony Chachere's is among the best. Definately a staple in spice rack.

Cool. Another one in the know

I spray a cookie sheet with PAM or the like and place a few boneless skinless chicken breasts on it. Around the chicken I put a few servings of broccoli. On the chicken & broccoli I add an awesome spice/herb I found recently: McCormick Garlic-Pepper. I get it in the spice aisle at the grocery store. Ingredients: GARLIC, SEA SALT, BLACK PEPPER, RED AND GREEN BELL PEPPERS, AND SULFITING AGENTS. I put a bunch of that on there and maybe drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top. I cook the whole thing at 400^ for about 35 minutes, turning once. I'll cut into the boob to be sure it is not pink and I am good to go. The broccoli gets a little crispy on some of the flowerettes, but it is good.

Damn! That sounds pretty good - I LOVE broccoli. I'm going to have to try this one later this week.