T Nation

Acute Rhabdomyolysis

The doctor needs to do more tests, but this was his tentative diagnosis. It’s happened four times in the last two years. I wake up in the middle of the night sore legs, and feel disoriented. A blood test last October and one just this morning showed “elevated muscle enzymes.”

The ER doctor called it acute Rhabdomyolysis, and sent me to my regular doctor for more tests. My appointment is this morning.

Anybody every had this? How do I prevent it from recurring in the future?

ETA:

I found my lab report

Substance Level Status Ideal Range
Creatine Phosphokinase 631 H 30-200
Blood Urea Nitrogen 22 H 9-21
Creatinine, Serum 1.4 H 0.7-1.3
Sodium 130 L 136-145
Chloride 95 L 98-107
White Blood Count 12.6 H 4.23-9.07
Mean Platelet Volume 8.7 L 9.4-12.3
NE% 72.2 H 1.78-5.38
LY% 16.1 L 21.8-53.1
NE# 9.06 H 1.78-5.38
MO# 1.15 H 0.30-0.82
CKMB 4.9 H 0-3.7

I see it shows high levels of two types of creatine. I take creatine monohydrate. Is the fix as simple as quitting creatine?

Are you sure it said “creatine, serum” and not “creatinine, serum?”

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Are you sure it said “creatine, serum” and not “creatinine, serum?”[/quote]

I had it wrong. It’s fixed now.

How the hell are you training to get rhabdo??

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:

I see it shows high levels of two types of creatine. I take creatine monohydrate. Is the fix as simple as quitting creatine? [/quote]

No, it’s not that simple - it’s one of the byproducts of your muscles breaking down. But yes, you should stop taking the monohydrate.

Taking any other supps?

Usually a matter of too much too soon if you aren’t predisposed genetically.

I just got back from the doctor. Ho told me to take a week off training and come back to redo my bloodwork. As far as ‘how hard I’m training,’ I lift for an hour in the evenings, six days a week, and do stretching and walking in the morning.

I’ve been training Westside for three and a half years, and get these ‘spells’ every six months or so. I’m taking no other supplements, unless you count whey protein. The doctor said strenuous exercise, dehydration, or even low blood sugar can cause this. When this first started happening, I started cycling my creatine every week, and carrying a water bottle with me EVERYWHERE. He didn’t blame the creatine, but I think I’m going to quit it anyway. I’ve never been sure it helped.

I’ve never had a “spell” like that, but I know my creatinine levels tested high one time when I had a metabolic panel done when I was sore from a heavy session. The Dr. thought it might be kidney issues, but I think it was a touch of the rhabdo because the kidneys tested fine every time after that.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I’ve never had a “spell” like that, but I know my creatinine levels tested high one time when I had a metabolic panel done when I was sore from a heavy session. The Dr. thought it might be kidney issues, but I think it was a touch of the rhabdo because the kidneys tested fine every time after that.[/quote]

My kidneys tested fine, as well.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
Usually a matter of too much too soon if you aren’t predisposed genetically. [/quote]

I’ve seen two cases in athletes, and they were deconditioned preseason athletes and they were minor cases, but they both stayed in the hospital for a couple of days. Dehydration and inadequate diet / electrolyte intake were also factors.

My wife, an RN, has had patients die from the more severe cases.

Elevated creatinine kinase usually comes from the breakdown of muscle tissue. It is a marker for heart attacks b/c the myocardium breaks down.

[quote]I’ve seen two cases in athletes, and they were deconditioned preseason athletes and they were minor cases, but they both stayed in the hospital for a couple of days. Dehydration and inadequate diet / electrolyte intake were also factors.
[/quote]

I follow the Westside program pretty closely. Three weeks on, and them four to six days off. By off, I mean no lifting at all.

I lift for 50 to 60 minutes in the evening, and come in mornings for stretching, abs, and a little walking. I don’t think tht is overly intense.

My doctor told me no lifting for a week, and to then come in to redo the tests. We’ll see what happens then.