T Nation

ACTrain: How Do You Train?

Another killer physique. Doesn't post much, but would be interested in hearing you share you training routine, history and nutrition.

I started lifting a week before my 18th birthday when a friend asked me to join the local YMCA. Started out with alot of machines, the YMCA had the nautlis universal gym. 6 months later I started college and had access to the internet where I learned aboout training. Moved on to free weights and Squats. Now this was way before youtube and lots of pictures so most of what I learned was from text descriptions.

Over the years I've tried all kinds of training programs. I've settled into, when mass building, alternating between periods of a 3 or 4 day a week bodypart split where each bodypart gets hit once a week and a 4 day a week upper/lower split where each bodypart gets hit twice a week.

For fat loss I've used CT's Destroying Fat program twice in the past with great results.

The last 6 months I've had to alter my training quite a bit due to injury, in terms of exercise selection and the amount of weight used. I had knee surgery last October to repair a torn meniscus and was diagnosed with distal clavicle osteolysis in my right shoulder. Both are feeling better. I recently started doing box squats and dumbell bench presses.

My surgery kept me out of the gym for 5 weeks and I dropped down to 168lbs. I did a mass gain program from Nov - Apr and got up to 194lbs. I used a targeted carbs approach taking in about 50g carbs a day, on my 4 workout days carbs increased to about 140g with the additional carbs coming peri-workout. Occasionally I'd do some cheating, like at a birthday party.

2 weeks ago I started an 8 week cut. I'm using CT's metabolic pairings routine he outlined in his forum and take in 50g or less carbs a day. I'll add some carbs peri-workout when I get a bit leaner.

I'll post the outline in a seperate message and today's workout in another.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

CT's Metabolic Pairings Outline

DAY 1
SECTION A - STRENGTH PORTION - CHEST & BICEPS
3 exercises for each; one in the 2-5 reps range, one in the 6-8 reps range and one for higher reps or a special technique.
Combine one exercise for each muscle and go back and forth between them...

SECTION B - METABOLIC PORTION (AFTER STRENGTH PORTION)
1 metabolic pairing of 3 exercises, 3-4 sets

SECTION C - LOW INTENSITY CARDIO (AFTER METABOLIC)
20-30 min

DAY 2
SECTION A - STRENGTH PORTION - LOWER BODY
3 exercises for quads and hams; one in the 2-5 reps range, one in the 6-8 reps range and one for higher reps or a special technique.

SECTION B - INTERVALS
15 sec intense - 45 sec relax x 10-12

SECTION C - LOW INTENSITY CARDIO (AFTER INTERVALS)
20-30 min

DAY 3
SECTION A - STRENGTH PORTION - BACK & TRICEPS
3 exercises for each; one in the 2-5 reps range, one in the 6-8 reps range and one for higher reps or a special technique.

SECTION B - METABOLIC PORTION (AFTER STRENGTH PORTION)
1 metabolic pairing of 3 exercises, 3-4 sets

SECTION C - LOW INTENSITY CARDIO (AFTER METABOLIC)
20-30 min

30-45 minutes of cardio on non-workout days

Today's workout.

This is Day 1 in the outline. I don't take the reps as low due to injuries. Hopefully soon I'll be able to.

A) Rotator Cuff Exercise - added this, helps my shoulder.
3 x 10 reps
Rest 60 seconds

B1) Low Incline Dumbell Bench Press
3 x 6-8 reps
Rest 60 seconds
B2) Incline Dumbell Curls
3 x 6-8 reps
Rest 60 seconds

C1) Dumbell Bench Press
3 x 8 reps
Rest 60 seconds
C2) 1 arm Hammer Curl
3 x 8 reps
Rest 60 seconds

D1) Pushups
3 x 30 reps
Rest 60 seconds
D2) Reverse Curls
3 x 10 reps
Rest 60 seconds

E1) Thrusters
3 x 10 reps
No rest
E2) Three-way dumbbell swing
3 x 15 reps left arm, 15 reps right arm, 15 reps both arms
No rest
E3) Weighted Situp
3 x 10 reps
Rest 75 seconds

Sauna 5 minutes

Cardio 20 minutes - Incline Treadmill walking keeping heartrate between 125-130.

That's impressive gains for a 7 month period. Could you expand onyour diet a bit more? The number of carbs you consumed seems like an awfully low number, especially if you're trying to gain mass. Obviously you were in a caloric surplus so did the remaining calories mostly come from protein? What were your macro splits?

Great physique!

are you always that lean? sheeeeit

To be honest, I think ACTrain has the best physique on T-Nation from what I have seen. Perfect amount of mass and great proportions. Congrats bud.

Edit: What exactly is that rotator cuff exercise?

Yea dude, you are damn shredded.

I was 175 before the injury. When I got back to the gym I was weak but muscle memory took over and it was like newbie gains all over again. I was up to 180 by New Years.

I really concentrated on pushing the calories without letting things get out of control.

The extra calories came from protein and fats. I tried to keep the protein and fat ratios about the same so on a low carb day it looked something like:

Fat: 170 (47%)
Carb: 49 (6%)
Prot: 365 (45%)

Targeted Carb day looked something like this:

Fat: 192 (42%)
Carb: 147 (15%)
Prot: 429 (43%)

Thanks, I still have lots of improvements to make. I think there are plenty of guys on here with more impressive physiques.

The rotator cuff exercise I did today was seated with a dumbell.
Video here:
strengthtraining.asimba.com/fitness_info/exercise627.html

On Day 3 I also do a rotator cuff exercise.
exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/CBExternalRotation.html

Thanks guys. I always stay within striking distance of the pics. Like an 8 week cut. Definatly not that cut or tan right now. I'm hoping realistically I can hit 185 with the same condition at the end of 8 weeks.

How old are you now and what are your current goals?

Are you in the fitness industry in any way?

ACTrain is one of the most helpful, most patient guys on this site. I'm really thankful for some of the advice I've received.

Awesome stuff! I'm so glad the big (and more experienced) guys are coming out and telling us about their training. Thanks a lot. I appreciate your efforts.

Do you increase the weight for each set or do you keep it the same?

Good to see you still hanging around, AC! Beast!

Damn! Fine physique, AC!
You must not post often, because I barely recall seeing your avatar.

How're the wheels?

For sure, like 2 yrs. ago with a different account I'd ask him questions about his eating, etc. Always wrote me back with the help. Great guy. He has "the look" I'm aiming for no doubt!

uhh yeah ignore this