T Nation

ActivitiesGuy Log III: Strength AND Endurance!

Wednesday 7/11

Axle Deadlift

5x115
5x205
1x295
1x295
1x385
1x385
1x415 (straps)
1x445 (straps)
1x515 (straps)

Wanted to see how it would feel to pull something closer to a 1RM weight on the axle. Surprisingly not bad - this was really easy. Although maybe I’m just getting fat, and in turn tricking myself to thinking that I’m all strong and badass.

Thanks for the comments on the beer, @SkyzykS, @losthog, @TriednTrue. It was a delight. Definitely one of my favorites to date.

Tonight’s beer was a Troegs Jovial Dubbel. Golden ale, a little boozy but not overpowering, also quite pleasant,

My pleasure, @ActivitiesGuy. I enjoy sharing knowledge of good microbrews. I’d grab a couple you’ve mentioned in your log, but I’ve not seen the brands here in my neck of the Southwest.

Thursday 7/12

Axle Deadlift

5x115
5x205
1x295
1x295
1x385
1x385
1x415
1x445 (straps)
1x475 (straps)
1x515 (straps)
1x295
1x295
1x295
1x295
1x295

Mmmm. This one sounds right in my wheelhouse. Good to see you’ve started adding beer updates. Glad to see you are still here and still rocking. Nice!

Friday 7/13

1 x Newborn Baby

Little man arrived at 7:45 PM. 21 inches, 9 pounds even. Mom and baby both doing well! May have some changes to training - basic goal will be to keep hitting 4 staple workouts per week (front or back squats; barbell or axle deadlifts; sandbag loads or farmer’s carries; and some steady state cardio on the spinning bike). Will update once we’re home from the hospital!

Extremely happy for you both! Nice healthy sized boy.
Looking forward to following the juggle!

Congratulations.

Congrats dude!

Sunday 7/15

FIRST WORKOUT AS A DAD.

Came home this afternoon. Little man snoozed the whole car ride. With him safely home and feeding, and my lovely wife knowing that lifting weights would make me feel like myself again after 48 hours cooped up in the hospital, I took the opportunity to do…

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
2x225
2x255
2x325

Congrats!

Congrats on ActivitiesBoy!

Congratulations brother. Really excited to see how these PRs continue to get crushed with the kid around.

Monday 7/16

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
2x225
2x255
2x325

ActivitiesGal has requested that, as baby adapts to life at home, I place a temporary moratorium on deadlifts to allow the guy to adjust without any loud bangs for a few days. I’m not really a bar-slammer but I know that deadlifts are certainly noisier than squats, so you’ll be seeing this exact workout quite a bit in the coming period. Quick (takes me about 15 minutes from first set to last set), just enough to break a sweat and maintain leg muscle mass, but low enough volume to allow recovery in what’s likely to be a period of little sleep and weird nutrition.

Congrats man!

You are in survival mode now!

Thanks to you all.

@oldbeancam: I’m not sure how many PR’s will be coming in the next couple months. Basically just want to show that this old dad can maintain strength. I’ll probably do the exact squat workout you see here a bunch because it’s quick and low volume, the warmup ramps up slowly and I hit one heavy enough double to feel like I did something. Once baby seems to be used to life at home and my wife is ok, I’ll bring deadlifts back into the fold, likely with a similar approach (ramp up, hit a top single at 500-something and call it a day). I’ll fill in the cracks with some strongman stuff like sandbags and farmer’s walks on weekends when I may have a little more time.

Once baby is old enough to sleep more consistently, I may once again pursue “gains” rather than just “do enough to maintain whatever I can on whatever sleep and food I can manage.”

I have a 5 and 2 year old. I’d like to share a to ice experienced first hand.

If you put your kiddo in a dead silent room for naps then that’s what they will like. This means if you go to a family gathering or event and nap time comes around then they won’t be able to sleep.

If you let them have their naps in a noisier room - like the living room while you’re watching TV and talking with the Mrs - then they seem be able to sleep anywhere.

My son is the first child and it sucks when he won’t take his nap because of the noise and excitement around him.

Don’t be afraid to make a little noise while the little one sleeps, but I agree that dropping 500 lb deadlifts might be a bit much right now.

Oh, I’m totally with you on that. We are running a fan in his room, using a white noise machine, and generally he likes other noises. I just wanted to avoid loud “bang” noises - but we’re not shying away from giving him plenty of regular ambient noise. And the deadlifts will come back soon enough!

Tuesday 7/16

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
2x225
2x255
2x345

My kid fell asleep during the last man standing deadlift event at my 4th competition. They have actually taken a nap at all but my most recent competition, and has been attending them since they were 6 or 8 weeks old (not counting time inside the womb).

It’s a totally true story. Amazing how adaptable they become. My kid also still passes right out as soon as I put my music on in the car.

We didn’t intend to shelter our son; it just happened. He’s had his own bedroom since day one and it’s on the second floor of the house. He can’t hear us.

It has been a pain in the ass at holiday gatherings when we’re gone all day. He gets tired and stumbles around like a drunk but he won’t give in and nap!

My dad is the same way at holiday gatherings, but most likely for different reasons.