ActivitiesGuy Log III: StrongFirst Kettlebells & Deadlifts

@ActivitiesGuy and @Frank_C Villanova and KU :roll_eyes: argh! I wish I was in on some brackets this year but slacked off. I hope you have a great time but also that they don’t do well.

Lol, hey, I come by my fanhood honestly. I’m not a bandwagon jumper. I can still name scores and players from games in the 90’s when I was 8, 9, 10 years old.

Last time Nova played in Pittsburgh (2015) my parents came out for the game and we watched a 1 seed Nova get knocked off in the second round. The 2016 national title took the sting away from that, though. Between Nova winning the 2016 title and the Eagles winning the Super Bowl this year, I don’t think I can complain much for awhile.

1 Like

LOL …well I do like the fact that you are a true fan from way back! It will be so awesome when you can do the same with your kid someday. Your right there isn’t much to complain about I just want to see some upsets. I went to a WV tournament two years ago and could honestly be so addicted to going.

1 Like

My family has followed KU my entire life. I’m not sure how it started though. My mom’s cousin played for them when I was really young so maybe that’s the reason…or it could just be a result of living in Kansas. Most folks pick KU or K State.

I graduated from Wichita State so they’re my favorite. KU is my second hope lol!

1 Like

Friday 3/16

Deadlift

5x135
4x225
3x315
1x405
1x435
1x470
1x525
1x560

KB Press

1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88
1x88

Hauled the big kettlebell out of the corner to hoist it a few times after working up to an easy 560 deadlift.

Tonight’s brew: Kentucky Vanilla Barrel Cream Ale (5.5% ABV). This is delicious; it’s like an alcoholic cream soda.

5 Likes

Saturday 3/17

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
5x225
5x255
5x285
5x315

1 Like

Sunday 3/18

Strongman(ish) Medley

200-LB Sandbag Carry (40 feet)
Kettlebell Press 1x88 (right hand)
Kettlebell Press 1x88 (left hand)

Eight rounds in 15ish minutes.

4 Likes

ARE YOU READY… for the BIG game Friday night!!! :laughing::joy::beers:

1 Like

Sure am. This will be a great game. WVU and Villanova used to have some great matchups back when y’all were in the Big East. I’m stoked for it, for sure.

1 Like

Monday 3/19

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
5x225
5x255
5x285
5x315

Sandbag Front Lifts

7x1 @ 200 pounds

I’m loving it since I switched to doing fives for the squat. The eventual goal is to carry this workout all the way up to 5x405 (so it would be ten total sets from 135 up to 405 in 30-pound jumps) but I’m being a little bit conservative with the progression for now.

EDIT: almost forgot, tonight’s beer is a Java Cask Coffee Stout (14.3% ABV!!!) from Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA. This is excellent. Very smooth, rich and creamy with just a hint of bitterness from the coffee. I’m loving it.

2 Likes

One other worthwhile note: my wife and I are trying to save up some cash since we are now about four months out from having a baby (sidebar: my wife is killing it with a “fit pregnancy” as she’s still squatting 135 for 5 at 24 weeks pregnant) but in my effort to move one step closer to Strongman-like training, if I stay in budget this month and we spend/save the right amount I may treat myself to a pair of farmers walk handles. It’s getting nice outside and we have a long (80 foot) driveway that is perfect for moving events. I think my usual squatting and deadlifts supplemented with sandbags and farmers walks (and bringing back the heavy one arm kettlebell press) would make me a pretty solid “home Strongman”

9 Likes

GOOOOOO WIFEY :smiley: WOOHOO!!! That is so awesome and if she keeps it up I hear it makes for an easy delivery!!!

I need to try the Java Cask because it sounds like it was a favorite of yours. I’m making note of all this that I must try.

1 Like

Tuesday 3/20

Spinning Bike (20 Minutes)

Beer of the night: Rye Rebellion Imperial Stout (11% ABV) from Full Pint Brewing in North Versailles, PA. This has a cool little story behind it - the beer is aged in barrels from Wigle Whiskey, a locally owned distillery in town.

@countrygirl2016: hope you do get a chance to try them! Most of what I’ve been trying is from the grocery store near my house, but they might be kind of hit or miss depending on where you’re looking - there are some places around here that wouldn’t have these!

2 Likes

@ActivitiesGuy well I am your way off and on so if I get adventurous the next time I’m going to stock up and bring some back with me. I’m always open to recommendations and feedback which you are wonderful at!! I also want to find places to tour while I’m around.

Wednesday 3/21

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
5x225
5x255
2x285
2x315
2x345
2x375
2x255

Double at 375 was great, moved fast and had plenty of pop. Thought about taking 405 for a PR double, but decided to save it for another day later this spring.

Tonight’s beer is a Back In Black Dark IPA from 21st Amendment Brewing. I’m not a huge IPA man, but this is pretty tasty.

6 Likes

It is a slipper slope my friend!

You should probably sell your squat stands and buy a yoke. Because that can be used as a squat rack, plus a yoke, plus a sandbag over bar implement!

How much are the farmers walk handles you’re looking at? I just asked a local fitness store and they have brand new ones for $100. If I hadn’t already made a set, I’d definitely be scooping these up. That’s only like 25 days of those craft brews! Keep up the good work dude, and good on your wife for staying with it. My wife keeps telling me I need to keep her in shape when she gets pregnant lol

2 Likes

When I first outfitted my home gym, I did briefly consider a yoke, but I’m fine with the squat stands for now.

Re: the farmer’s handles, they aren’t that expensive so much as I’m trying to enforce a little fiscal discipline. Since we are about to have a kid and also have a few projects for our house that we need to save for, it’s kind of a “hit the money target and reward yourself with a treat” thing. I have the money to just buy them now but my wife and I are trying to put ourselves in a good financial position going into the next 18-21 years of having dependent children relying on us for their lessons and camps and tuition and whatnot.

4 Likes

Oh, I totally understand where you’re coming from and I hope I didn’t offend you with my comment. Re-reading it now I could see it coming across the wrong way.

Was more of a tongue in cheek little comment.

It’s a very exciting time for you guys, and I wish you the best of luck!

No offense taken at all, man, just explaining where I was coming from.

I’m not a particularly reckless spender (drive a 2008 car with no plans to upgrade until this runs dry; don’t buy many expensive things other than good food, fairly respectable - although not “high end” or “designer” - clothing, and goodies for the home gym). But since we bought the house, I have had a habit of buying each new gym toy as soon as I decide that I want it; all of which have been good purchases so far (everything that I’ve bought, I use, and all appears to be sufficient quality to be good ROI).

Now that I have plenty of stuff to get good home workouts - squat stands, bar, plates, kettlebells, sandbag, Spinning bike for some light cardio - any additional things that I still want (farmer’s handles, an axle, and maybe even further down the line, a log) can be used as “treats” that I allow myself for hitting a monthly or yearly financial goal of saving enough cash to do X. It’s not that the new items are that expensive themselves as much as I’m saying “Can’t buy that unless you saved enough money for three straight months” to enforce the financial discipline.

4 Likes

I have a new truck, beautiful house, nice clothes, etc… however I go to yard sales and pick up things like workout equipment that people were planning on using and didn’t. They want to get rid of it for a very low price because it’s huge and in the way :laughing: so exciting to get a good deal like that! Also I’m not ashamed to get stuff for the house while I’m at it. It helps pay for my nice things!!

2 Likes