ActivitiesGuy Log III: StrongFirst Kettlebells & Deadlifts

Thanks everyone:

@dchris: we’ve been married about a year and a half, but I think we’re a little older than you are (on our wedding day i was 29 yrs and 361 says, she was a little over 33). Re: the home cardio equipment, I agree. I actually like running but living in our current neighborhood it’s just a plain miserable experience, especially in the winter, and I’d like to have a piece of very general cardio equipment for some light mindless exercise in between lifting days.

@mr.v3lv3t: respectfully, we disagreed lol. My wife was very against an AirDyne, she doesn’t want something with handles. I’ve actually had a spinning bike for about three years before (bought one off Craigslist, sold when I moved to a newer apartment that had an exercise room) and really liked it.

@countrygirl2016: at a certain age that just starts to happen. Two of my best friends from college have had kids in the last year, and I now have two nieces (my brother’s daughter is 17 months old, and my wife’s sister’s daughter is…I think 5 months old). You hit a spot in your life and suddenly everyone around your age has young kids. I noticed the difference when we moved out to this neighborhood from my old one: I go to the store on Sunday morning and it seems like EVERYONE in the store has a 2-5 year old child, lol.

4 Likes

Ya, you are a few years older than me, I’m 28; although, my wife is 36 so time is ticking…

Congratulations!

1 Like

Tuesday 2/27

Sandbag “Front Lifts”

20x1 @ 150 pounds (EMOM)

Much smoother tonight, clearly getting more comfortable. I want to really own this weight for lifts and carries before upping the weight and adding that fourth bag of sand, but this is nice progress.

EDIT: forgot the most important part. Tonight we have a Weyerbacher (from Easton, PA) Sunday Morning Stout, a hearty bourbon barrel coffee stout checking in at 12.7% ABV. Not quite as good as the Dragon’s Milk but a very worthy entry.

2 Likes

Haha fair enough. Different strokes!

Congratulations man!!!

Congrats on the kiddo! It’s a good thing you have a home gym; you’ll need it!

Case and point: my daughter has a fever this morning so there will be no gym time. Luckily I have a decent set-up in the basement. I’ve been favoring the YMCA lately because the machines allow me to do a lot without loading my repaired hip.

My kick ass platform has been useless during this recovery.

Is your sandbag the big blue one? I searched around last night after seeing all this talk about them. I think I’d like to get one with multiple handles for clean and press type stuff in addition to the carries. Sounds like a much more fun way to do conditioning.

1 Like

Yes, I got the big blue IronMind sandbag. It actually doesn’t have any handles on it. I didn’t really want one with handles, to be honest - I think part of the challenge is trying to lift and maneuver this odd, heavy, malleable object WITHOUT something to grab onto - but even with handles you still get a great workout, it’s just different.

Yup, that’s always been the thinking.

2 Likes

Congrats on the awesome news! Is this yall’s first?

Cleaning and pressing WITHOUT the handles is an incredible workout. Well worth undertaking.

1 Like

Wednesday 2/28

Sandbag “Front Lifts”

20x1 @ 150 pounds (EMOM)

Got home late from work and wanted to do something that required no thought or setup. May deadlift tomorrow night if I’m feeling it.

3 Likes

really enjoying the turns your training has taken. Sandbags are SUPER underrated for training and literally anyone can do them regardless of space or money. Keep it up brother. BIGGG numbers to come this year, I can feel it.

3 Likes

Thanks man. I do feel like the sandbag has already brought another dimension to my training, will help bring up some weak points and make me more well rounded, and also has started me down the path towards something resembling Strongman training.

I would really like to hit a triple bodyweight deadlift this year. Something like 645 at a 215 bodyweight would be good. Got some work to do there.

7 Likes

Thursday 3/1

Deadlift

5x135
4x225
3x315
2x405
1x435
1x465
1x495
1x525
1x575

Not bad at all for a Thursday night with a headache and crummy day of eating. I’ll have a video up shortly.

Tonight’s beer is a 10.3% ABV offering from Eviltwin Brewing called the Irish-ish Coffee Stout. While I’m normally a huge fan of this kind of beer, and have liked other stuff from Eviltwin in the past, I’m not sold on this one. It’s creamy and rich but the flavor is just funky, not the usual dark and smooth stuff that I like. Probably won’t buy this again.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Friday 3/2

Back Squat

5x135
5x165
5x195
5x225
5x255
5x285
5x315

This felt really good. I should have been doing more fives all along. Better late than never, I suppose. Gains: unlocked.

Tonight’s beer is the Sunny Side Up Coffee Stout (9.5% ABV). Drinking these up but probably wouldn’t buy this again for awhile, the coffee flavor is too strong and bitter.

2 Likes

Saturday 3/3

Bikram Yoga (90 Minutes)

2 Likes

…and what did you drink after yoga?!? :grimacing: lol

1 Like

Funny you should ask! My wife and I have been watching “The Great British Baking Show” on Netflix and have been trying to make a few of the things we’ve seen. We are making a “steak and ale pie” tonight!

Just put it in the oven now.

2 Likes

Wonderful I shall look this show up too! Enjoy!!