Active Recovery?

I had an idea. If after a hard workout, you wore a sweatshirt and sweatpants in a hot area(to make yourself sweat),and at the same time drank water and or suppliments…wouldnt this make fluids go through your system faster and therefor alow you to get more nutients to your healing muscles? this theory is all based on my idea that sweating makes water and or fluids go through your system faster…any input would and is always great! if it works it would pretty much be an effortless active recovery =)

not sure about that, but one thing i do notice makes a difference and decreases muscle soreness and speeds recovery is the contrast shower. you turn the water on as hot as you can stand for like a minute, then as cold as you can stand for another minute, back and forth maybe 4 or 5 times. it relaxed the blood vessels (or some shit like that) and allows more blood to get to the effected area

^
|
|
|
Freakiest avatar ever.

If blood vesel dialation was the key then take about 1000 to 1500 mg of regular Niacin or B3. The Niacin flush lasts about 20 - 45 minutes. Just a thought :slight_smile:
Donnie

Nick, it’s not a bad idea but sweating increases blood flow to skin, not muscles.

It’s nice to see this kind of thinking!

What about the niacin/b3 idea?

Vron, again, it’s skin.

As a side note, even increasing muscle blood flow doesn’t always help, because there are different “pathways” that the blood can take.

Insulin is the only reasonable way to increase nutritive blood flow.

BTW-I really like these ideas.

Cheers

[quote]Vorn wrote:
What about the niacin/b3 idea?[/quote]

Ok, I’ve had this thought for a while so…

I end up walking alot in the course of my day, so I was wondering what the impact on my insulin sensitivity (and therefore the amount of nutrient gets diverted to muscle?) this would have, over say jogging for half or less the amount of time.

The idea behind active recovery is to reduce lactic acid accumulation and to get rid of metabolic wastes. As far as nutrient shuttling, isn’t it as simple as injesting carbs and amino acids?

[quote]Vorn wrote:
Ok, I’ve had this thought for a while so…

I end up walking alot in the course of my day, so I was wondering what the impact on my insulin sensitivity (and therefore the amount of nutrient gets diverted to muscle?) this would have, over say jogging for half or less the amount of time.[/quote]

I think you’re over-analyzing things. Unless your diet, meal-timing, training, recovery, etc is ALL 100%, minor things like walk or jog will make no difference whatsoever.

[quote]nickbuisson wrote:
I had an idea. If after a hard workout, you wore a sweatshirt and sweatpants in a hot area(to make yourself sweat),and at the same time drank water and or suppliments…wouldnt this make fluids go through your system faster and therefor alow you to get more nutients to your healing muscles? [/quote]

I guess having a sauna would be a more pleasant alternative to multiple layers of sweaty clothes after training. It also helps with regard to mental relaxation.