Active Duty Military

[quote]Peyton wrote:
I guess you failed to read the part of my post where I stated all of the info I gave concerning where we get our training is public information and can be accesses through numerous PUBLIC websites, magazines, propaganda, etc… I’m not “in the wrong” and I haven’t disclosed any confidential information. Perhaps you should learn to read posts better and you should definitely aspire to gain more knowledge about the topics you’re typing about prior to submitting immature posts.[/quote]

The only immaturity I’m recognizing is yours, Peyton. Realize who you are, what you’re doing, and the responsibility you carry with the qualifications you’re aspiring to achieve.

That is all.

Marine Captain in the DC area. I’m a Tank officer by trade but I currently work in security.
I’m really interested in adapting compound movements and o-lifting as a way to augment traditional combat conditioning methods. I’m working on the concept of the tactical athlete (not my term, I stole if from Jeff Martone and others) and I’ve been experimenting with my Marines as far as trying to shift their focus in PT from running to more of a crossfit style training. I’m trying to get my guys to think of themselves as athletes, focusing their training, eating, life style, towards developing a higher level of fitness. If I can get them to break the “bench and curl” mindset, it will be a small victory.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
Marine Captain in the DC area. I’m a Tank officer by trade but I currently work in security.
I’m really interested in adapting compound movements and o-lifting as a way to augment traditional combat conditioning methods. I’m working on the concept of the tactical athlete (not my term, I stole if from Jeff Martone and others) and I’ve been experimenting with my Marines as far as trying to shift their focus in PT from running to more of a crossfit style training. I’m trying to get my guys to think of themselves as athletes, focusing their training, eating, life style, towards developing a higher level of fitness. If I can get them to break the “bench and curl” mindset, it will be a small victory. [/quote]

Sounds like what you have going on would be a lot of fun to be a part of. Definitely the necessary elements wrapped into one.

I know when I first came in, especially for a guy my size, it was “run run run, then do some pullups, then run run run some more”

Hell I remember even being verbally reprimanded by my skipper because he “caught” me lifting weights in the gym.

Your challenges are going to be trying to keep everybody’s goals the same. You might have some guys who want to become monsters.

That’s my thinking exactly. I thought PT should focus more towards practical goals like being able to manuever through an obstable filled terrain quickly with a full combat load and still be able to lay down accurate fire(can’t do that if you’re gasping for breath and tired), rather then focus on a run time.
I spent some time at HQMC and while everyone went running during chow time, I usually hit the gym for about half an hour.

Like you said, I also focused on compound movements and some O-lifting. Since regular PT involved alot of endurance stuff and I only got 4-5 hrs a sleep most nights, I chose to keep it low volume with short rests and use heavy weights, worked pretty good. I didn’t bench except for some close grip work now and then, figured it wasn’t helping me athleticly. Instead I did overhead work, push press, military press and shoulder press, all standing.
I do like the O-course, wish I did it more often. It’s real good for conditioning.

As far as eating, I always like to get Marines on BAS, so they can buy healtier stuff rather then going to the chowhall. Although we all got cursed out for draining out tuna in the restroom. LOL

[quote]BH6 wrote:
I’m really interested in adapting compound movements and o-lifting as a way to augment traditional combat conditioning methods. I’m working on the concept of the tactical athlete (not my term, I stole if from Jeff Martone and others) and I’ve been experimenting with my Marines as far as trying to shift their focus in PT from running to more of a crossfit style training. I’m trying to get my guys to think of themselves as athletes, focusing their training, eating, life style, towards developing a higher level of fitness. If I can get them to break the “bench and curl” mindset, it will be a small victory. [/quote]

As far as eating, I always like to get Marines on BAS, so they can buy healtier stuff rather then going to the chowhall. Although we all got cursed out for draining out tuna in the restroom. LOL

Thats pretty funny. I had a platoon sergeant that ate a can of tuna and a banana every day for lunch. I would eat tuna too sometimes. LOL our company office stank so bad, the CO used to bitch at us. “1st Plt doesn’t get laid, they just smell like it.” Sorry for the hijack, that post sparked some funny memories.

Im an E-3 in the airforce.(Two years in) You have to be really dedicated to stay in shape when your working 12 hour shifts every day. When you wake up, you have just enough time to go to the gym, eat, take a shower and get back to work. We dont really have any kind of structured PT. They are trying to “crack the whip” on fitness now and get every one in shape. We have to log what we do on the computer every month and it’s on the honor system, so you know a lot of it is BS.

Plus, i had a better gym to work out in when i was in Iraq than i do at my home base. If they want people to get in better shape, gotta have more time.

I’m a MSgt.(E-7) in the AF, 17+ years. New here by a couple of months. Found the site while deployed to Iraq and have gained a wealth of knowledge reading as many posts as possible. Work on an Air-to-Ground Gunnery range/Drop Zone(fixed/rotary wing airframes and small arms training). Vehicle mechanic by trade but main job is range operations.

I work 45 mins. from the main Army post and 1.5 hours from the AF base we use for our main support. Going to the base gym is not an option with my hours and family(got to spend time with the wife and kids). We have built a decent facility at the range and my commander is a big advocate of fitness. We are allowed 1 hr. daily to PT a few of us take advantage of it. I also have some equipment(Power Blocks, Kettlebell, outdoor home made dip/pull-up station)at home.

I’m currently training for the Bataan Memorial march next year.