Activating Muscle Protein Synthesis Everyday

I honestly kept thinking that there was no point " getting into it" like I did,… but as much as I try to be pretty easy going, humble, friendly etc, don’t start hurling insults just because I can easily poke holes in your argument…

And comparing a FFB who now proudly looks like a runner to my physique? I routinely admit that I was never going to win the WNBF worlds on my best day, but I also know that most competitors will never have a run even close to what I did. Im not trying to sound cocky, or arrogant, but I am damn proud of what I accomplished and like to think that I’ve earned the respect I seem to get, as a competitor as well as a coach.

S

3 Likes

Yeah I figured… The only reason I jumped in was because of my back ground. That being that when I first started lifting back in the day it was in a old black iron hard core gym. As a beginner you respected the guys that had actually achieved more than yourself. Especially starting out!!
That and along with me being a ASS Hole at times

1 Like

Haha well that was quick .

1 Like

Great thread guys. Can’t beat a proper rant!

My two cents worth, my training philosophy has changed after trying CT’s Best Damn workout. Which is effectively full body training 6 days a week. Nearly 2 months in, I’m still progressing and, as importantly, enjoying it. I embarked on this after my own research into the high frequency craze touted by folks like Menno Henselmens. While I’m loathe to make this a science versus broscience debate, if you accept the premise that in more advanced trainees MPS returns to baseline sooner (6-12 hours) then stimulating those muscles more frequently is a logical progression. The key then becomes volume and intensity, and personally this is where I think Best Damn comes into its own.

This is where the people who Soley focus on muscle protein synthesis activation confuse the majority of others. If we just speak in generalities, we can all pretty much agree that recovery abilities aren’t the same for trainers who have been at this longer, our
Are more experienced, and can generate much more intensity in a session. Dorian Yates was a big proponent in pointing out what his body could handle after a training session as A beginner versus what he was able to subject his body to and progress as an experience and Advanced athlete. Even going back to old-school thinking bodybuilders like Bill Pearl, he always puts forth how the body could and would benefit from greater volumes in each training session as opposed to the shorter or frequent ones that were initially the norm.

S

1 Like

4 Likes

Lol yeah and we all know that if you take steroids you don’t even need to eat food or exercise, you just wake up as mr Olympia :wink:

S

3 Likes

Not sure I understand your point Stu. I’m not going to be disrespectful and argue with someone who has walked the walk.

I can only repeat an earlier observation that if MPS is elevated for, say, 12 hours post workout, you stimulated those body parts with adequate volume/intensity for adaptation to occur, and nutrition/recovery is dialled in, there is nothing preventing you doing something similar on day two. The 2nd premise, which I didn’t mention in my last post, is that you have less energy capability the longer the workout continues and performance diminishes. This is probably the biggest drawback to high volume training. As i understand it, what i have said was the rationale behind Best Damn, and also chimes in with the Norwegian frequency experiment.

Lastly, while success leaves clues, citing Pearl and Yates doesn’t tell us much. Let’s face it, Yates would have been jacked following Pearl’s routines and vice versa.

I think we can boil the argument down to this:

Pro MPS People:

1. Elevated MPS triggers adaptation which triggers more muscle growth.

Anti MPS People:

1. Elevated MPS does trigger adaptation, but that doesn’t correlate to muscle growth…it simply correlates to adaptation.

I tend to throw studies out the window when it comes to bodybuilding. If we think about the Scientific Process as a process that allows for the control of all variables as well as the process that allows for duplication of the experiment, we can safely say that the Scientific Process can never be applied to Bodybuilding. Every individual is different and every individual changes as they age – thus experiment duplication is impossible based upon solely using the same candidates in a trial. And because every individual is different, it’s impossible to control all the variables when the experiment uses more than one individual.
So, if studies aren’t overly useful in imparting wisdom outside of a single individual within a scientific trial, it seems that bodybuilding is an entirely individual process where general/blanket statements are useless. As such, I’m going to try to use SOME blanket statements and apply them to bodybuilding:

1. The body wants to stay the same. Homeostasis is the easiest status for the body to maintain/strive for. This means the body DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE (read: grow more muscle).
  2. Adaptation simply means that there is some alteration that results in an organism becoming better fit to survive in its environment. This only means that something will change enough so that it can remain the same, it does not necessitate that something will become better.
  3. MPS is a leading indicator of muscle fiber/tissue creation. But if the body wants to stay the same, and it’s only going to adapt as much as it has to in order to stay the same, MPS can only indicate muscle fiber repair (to regain homeostasis) rather than muscle tissue excess generation.
  4. MPS and Muscle Growth obviously correlate, but as we all know, ‘correlation does not equal causation.’ Thus, I think a blanket statement can be made saying that “more muscle protein synthesis does not equate to more muscle growth.”
2 Likes

Mps is correlated with muscle growth when:

You’re eating enough calories and protein and you’re sleeping and recovering well.

Some studies found mps didn’t correlate with muscle growth when you’re nutrition isn’t good.

Yeah, after a workout you’ll elevate mps but if you’re not eating enough calories you just won’t build much muscle(if any).

So mps is definitely a sign of muscle growth if you prime your body for muscle growth by taking care of nutrition, sleep, and stress.

@JamesBrawn007

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

The argument vs a high frequency approach seems to be volume.

The thing is, I never sacrificed weekly volume when I was stimulating my muscles everyday.

I got up to doing 10x10 on both chest/back everyday and recovering perfectly fine.

So no. It’s not doing high frequency low volume. It’s doing high frequency high volume.

I’m waiting another 12 years I guess…

1 Like

Ok to start with this is me NOT trying to berate you at any level, Since I have the bad habit of coming off as abrasive I wanted to throw that out. In a nut shell im using your statement as a means as a reason to vent again. So my apologizes in advance and don’t take it personal.Since in all honestly it is not even about you in the first place.

I feel I need to clear up some misconception I am suspicious you might have formulated. Now to begin with before you pat the OP on the ass again for doing the leg work and reading some scientific study and trying to applying it. I need to clear up that a majority of the gentleman here aren’t a bunch of gym Brotards running around screaming Gainz and checking out their abZ out in the mirror. Most experience guys with time under their belt have done tons of research in their time especially if they have actually competed in any of the weight related disciplines more so than the OP probably has. The majority embrace new knowledge to help improve what they are actually doing and makes themselves better or get an advantage over the guys they might be up against. But, No one is going to foolishly overhaul what they are doing if they are getting results, based on one study alone.

The true fact of the matter is that allot of people newer people coming into this little psychotic world need to understand is… That training isn’t a 100% exact science. There is an old quote that been around for years …” Lifting is a science as much as it is an art form”

The hard truth is that in in some cases Academic research involving what guys have been doing in training for decades is lagging in certain respects.

The most hilarious example being If recall correctly, when Multi ply lifting was at its apex, someone at the University of Kansas decided to do a research study to determine. If Bench and squats suits actually had an impact on how much someone could lift and if so how much.

The problem is now that you have individuals will put on blinders towards anything which doesn’t have a study backing them it up. Even if those things that have been shown to produce results in real world hands on situations. Strictly based on that there is no 100% verification due to lack of Data or even inconclusive studies. Yet blindly and foolishly guys are starting to unfairly categories things as nothing more than “Bro Science” Which is now trendy without even given these things a second look.

I found the whole concept by newer guys completely ignoring experience as a very strange concept in itself. Now I will admit on my end I’m not the sharpest crayon in the box. I will openly admit I am nothing more than an old Meathead whose education has been developed mostly in the trenches. Yet my oldest son (yes, I’m going to brag on him…get over it) was the Valedictorian of his school. Is currently in the Exercise and Science program at a local college with plans of entering the sports rehab field in several years. So far he has averaged a 4.0 has been awarded and recognized as one of the top students in his class. Recently been asked by professors to tutor along with recently being selected as one of two underclassman picked to attend a conference out of state. Yes I’m bragging but it’s also leads into the point I’m getting ready to make. Ok I have established my son is fucking smart. Let’s get to the point now, on several occasions he has impressed the Hell of an S/C professor and Exercise theory professor based on concepts and insight he had that weren’t in the actual text books. Because the little shit would come to me his Meathead old man asking insight and opinion regarding certain topics related to those courses base exclusively on my hands on experience. If he wasn’t my son I think I would demand a fee.

Another example is I am friendly with a coach whom is a former IPF world level lifters, currently he is retired and is a PE teacher and a trainer on the side. He is currently has produced several IPF world level lifters from the ground up from a very small talent pool. Now understand he has a bachelor’s degree in Physical Education that’s it not a scientist nor a researcher. But, last year a published Kinesiology Professor from another State contacted him wanting input regarding the mechanics of the Deadlift, Based on his actual experience… Did I mention the guy doing the asking has been published in his field?

But we have guys acting like Sumo intellectuals pulling studies out their ass that the either do not fully comprehend or understand how to integrate them. Yet They want to stick their noses in the air and down play others whom are more experienced and have the results to show.

WHOOO… Got that off my Chest!!
Bulldog man

7 Likes

Nice rant!!!

1 Like

I was speaking pretty broadly when I said that I respect people who apply research to their own training. For me, it’s kind of like how I respect people who are devout in their religions. More power to you if you’re able and willing to get that deep into something, I guess is the gist of what I’m trying to say.

You can’t fault the guy for doing research and then thinking he’s hit a gold mine. We’ve ALL been in that same position where we read a study/multiple studies that conclude something that is new to us, and some people get whipped into a frenzy about it and some don’t. I think this guy, based on how long he’s spent lifting (8 months I believe?) has just begun to do his own research. So it’s understandable to me why he was so pumped up about his own personal breakthrough, because I’m barely out of the phase where I thought every study I read was groundbreaking information.

That being said, I don’t fully agree with OP. Just like I don’t fully agree with all people who are devout. I believe @The_Mighty_Stu said something to the effect that there’s a complex web of interdependent variables when it comes to strength training, which I agree with 100%. I don’t think that OP has come to this conclusion yet, mostly because he’s only been training for 8 months. At this point, for him, he could attribute his success to tying his left shoe first. 8 months into training, it doesn’t matter all that much what you do. I believe that he’s gotten a little carried away with this study, and since he’s still getting newbie gains, he is automatically assuming that these gains are a direct result of training full body multiple times each week. Everyone’s training career can be looked at as one long science experiment imo. People like Stu and Chris O. have been around far longer than me and OP, so they know way more than we do. They’ve seen what works and what doesn’t work, and more interestingly, why some things work and others don’t.

This is perplexing to me, too. It seems like common sense to pay close attention to, and heed the words of, your superiors. When I was a freshman in high school, all I did when senior football players were around was listen and watch closely. (They’re starting on varsity for a reason. Pay some damn attention.) I don’t think it makes me less of a man if I concede to someone who has rightfully earned authority over me in some way. Again, Stu and Chris are my examples. If I post something on my training log and they suggest I change something, I’m probably going to listen to them.

Also, congratulations to your son. Sounds like he’s doing incredibly well in college.

1 Like

No need to explain yourself brother…just happy you didnt get offended by using you like a cheap whore like I did :wink:

Yeah I was sorta trying to get that through to the OP by pointing out Stu’s actual resume.Which he completely ignored.

Exactly… you ask any grey beards like myself that is how it use to be how things ran back in the day in allot hardcore gyms. As a beginner you would learn to shut up and be humble and learn from guys whom were more seasoned and successful than yourself. Which most of the advanced guys were willing to do as long as you were respectful and not a Dbag.

Thanks… I hope people get what I was trying to get across. Its kinda funny if you know the show the Big Bang Theory he would remind you of one of the characters except slightly jack and more athletic.

1 Like

Which character?

Mostly Lenard with maybe a dash of Sheldon …

1 Like

I’ve always found it funny when other men try to social police me on the internet(never happens irl).

People that go around telling other people they need to act a certain way are pretty sad.

So hows that every day thing working out for ya?

You think Cressey would get behind that?

1 Like

I’ve trained for 10 years, not always productive that’s for sure. I’ve had noticeable gains with Gironda training, Waterbury training, Poliquin training, etc. Now it’s high frequency training. Perhaps a key difference now is I’m older and wiser. For example, I know trying Poliquin 10x10 is going to fuck up my lower back so I won’t give it another go whereas before I’d be slavish and think ‘but Poliquin says…’ Same tenets apply to nutrition. For example, there was a big push here some years ago where pre and intra workout carbs were gospel, replacing the low carb mantra that dominated previously. Again, through genuine experimentation, I’ve moved to a strict ketogenic diet because after more than 2 months without carb cheats, refeeds, etc, I can say, that works for me.

Of course, we all have some form of confirmation bias. And this is where we often start preaching and telling others what they’re doing wrong. It’s natural and an occupational hazard when you’re posting on here.