Act of Valor

Anyone else see it on the weekend? Overall wasn’t too bad, some really good scenes but for a movie that sells itself as realistic some were a little off. Was worth the money to see in the theater.

Go post it in PWI and watch those old white dude jerk off to this shit movie.

Action scenes were really good, it was obvious these guys were not actually actors, and overall the jingoism and pro world police attitude kind of turned me off.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Action scenes were really good, it was obvious these guys were not actually actors,

[/quote]

I’ve talked about that with a couple of folks. While some like you find it a negative I found it refreshing in a sense. When you looked into the eyes of the guys on the screen you KNEW they were the real thing. They truly had been there and done that and had all the t-shirts.

Jingoism, huh? I usually see the Hate America crowd using that term. Interesting.

What part of the honor and valor that is part and parcel of the US Navy SEAL’s is so disgusting to you?

I only saw scenes of US military personnel protecting American interests. Maybe you saw a different movie? The European version?

Besides, your concerns shouldn’t be much of a problem for many Americans who certainly will see the film in a different light. When you lay your head down to sleep tonight you might want to remind yourself that good men, rough men, stand ready to defend you while you sleep in peace and comfort - good men who are willing to sacrifice their lives so that Americans who shudder at perceived jingoism can waddle out of their beds in the morning and begin another day of complaining.

[/quote]

Hmm, good point about the acting thing.

No hatred for America here. The movie just came off more as a recruiting “look at the badass things these guys do” film to me, rather than a “look at the awesome men that make up the Navy SEALs” film. I have the utmost respect for the men themselves, as I have many family members and friends who have served/currently serve in the military.

Just my personal thoughts about the actual movie, I think you are confusing me with people who actually hate America and wish her ill, my friend.

Edited for clarity

[quote]optheta wrote:
Go post it in PWI and watch those old white dude jerk off to this shit movie.[/quote]

What would you say is the best thing to do about old white people? Obviously dialogue is out of the question but on a societal level, what do you think we can do about them?

Old white people are a threat to national security.

I cant wait to see this one

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Go post it in PWI and watch those old white dude jerk off to this shit movie.[/quote]

What would you say is the best thing to do about old white people? Obviously dialogue is out of the question but on a societal level, what do you think we can do about them?[/quote]

I would say just let them die off, but there will always be more ready to replace them.

So, let’s just put LDS in the water suppply and see what happens.

[quote]Christine wrote:

I would say just let them die off, but there will always be more ready to replace them.

So, let’s just put LDS in the water suppply and see what happens.[/quote]

You mean these guys?

Not sure what that would accomplish…

Yup, it’s already been done.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

So, let’s just put LDS in the water suppply and see what happens.[/quote]

You mean these guys?

Not sure what that would accomplish…

[/quote]

HA. I should be more careful.

LSD.

in b4 everyone at the bar/club ‘omg dude, u’re pretty jacked, u’re in the military? are you like those act of valor guys? i think i’m gonna start working out and join navy seals too. maybe seals and special forces. or task force 121. you know, that group from call of duty’

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
in b4 everyone at the bar/club ‘omg dude, u’re pretty jacked, u’re in the military? are you like those act of valor guys? i think i’m gonna start working out and join navy seals too. maybe seals and special forces. or task force 121. you know, that group from call of duty’[/quote]

Because today, SF = SEALs = Rangers = Delta. Amirite?

CS

in b4 everyone at the bar/club ‘omg dude, u’re pretty jacked, u’re in the military? are you like those act of valor guys? i think i’m gonna start working out and join navy seals too. maybe seals and special forces. or task force 121. you know, that group from call of duty’[/quote]
Have you considered 21 Jump Street?

Liked it. Prior to this film the only other war movie I liked was Bravo Two Zero, solely for the scene where they break contact. It seems to be the only movie where an actual battle drill is performed, rather than dudes just spraying bullets and running mindlessly around. Some of the scenes were a bit preposterous in AOV (ie an ambassador is likely never going to leave his security detail like that, likely a guard would have gone and bought the ice cream), and i’m sure most people picked up on the scene in Mexico where they are using NVG’s while also using red lasers on their PEQ-15’s instead of the infrared laser. But even though I think military “talk” is fucking gay as shit, the lingo made it feel a bit more authentic, and how they conducted SLLS in the swamp, the shoulder squeezes in the stack, taps from last man on guys pulling long security during the urban movements, small things that civilians won’t pick up on helped me to enjoy it.

:slight_smile:

It takes a post from HolyMac to bring me out of months long lurk mode.

edited fur spellinzz

For accuracy regarding Navy SEALs look no further than the aptly titled movie “Navy SEALs” featuring Charlie Sheen and the guy that plays Reese from Terminator, and Dennis Haysbert the Allstate guy. Your in good hands. That plus the movie “Soldier” with Kurt Russel will give you the low down on special operations.