T Nation

Acne & Whey Protein

Hey guys, I am 17 years old and trying to make some gains I tried whey protein for 3 months, i gained a few pounds but the pimples were terrible so I decided to stop taking it. Usually I would drink it with some fruits and milk as a smoothie post-workout.

I would say that my acne is medium/low, but without face products and taking whey it goes fucking crazy. In case someone knows about chemistry or cosmetics, I am taking Tactupump- or Epiduo on the States- this product contains 2 medications: adapalene and benzoyl peroxide, plus taking antibiotics to stop them for appearing.

If anyone knows how to avoid the pimples from appearing or maybe other way to ingest the whey protein or maybe it can be changed for another source of protein like carnivor (supposed to be made out of meat) or anything else

What is the rest of your diet like? You may not need the protein.

On an unrelated note: taking antibiotics on a regular basis without a real medical reason is generally considered a bad thing in my (limited) experience in pharmacology.

I used to have that problem… Here’s what helped me:

• How ‘clean’ is your diet? First step is to remove all of the processed crap, and potentially dairy. When I had skin issues, I noticed a definite correlation between milk drinking and breakouts. Try cutting out dairy for a few weeks to see what happens. Gluten may also be a concern (slight intolerances can easily lead to breakouts), so, try eliminating that too and see if there is a change. Obviously don’t eliminate both of them at the same time, you want to record the results from one elimination at a time, to see if you can isolate the problems.

• Are you taking any other supplements? Weird as it sounds, BCAA pills made my skin freak out (I can take them now though, it was a phase). Whey never gave me any issues, but I can see how it potentially could… As ThePunisher said, you may not need the whey, and I certainly don’t think it’s worth it if it’s ruining your skin (especially if you’re lifting for vanity – good skin > a few extra lbs of muscle).

Also, I have to ask, why are you taking antibiotics? Are you trying to kill the bacteria that create pimples? Perhaps a topical gel to kill the bacteria would be more effective in this instance. Why not take one of the drugs made especially for acne – e.g. Roaccutane. I’ve never used it personally, but I know people who have, and it appears to work brilliantly.

^ I’ve had the worst case of ‘bacne’ and acne on my face during my bulking days… Which I was ingesting copious amounts of dairy and wheat. I simply attributed it to just bad skin for years until I came across gluten intolerance. It’s important to note that a gluten intolerance often times coincides with dairy (casein) intolerance. I don’t have full blown celiac, but I definitely do have an intolerance to products with gluten.

It wasn’t only the bad skin, but also having bouts of fatigue, being lethargic, and cloudy thinking. Gluten intolerance is still a gray area in nutrition, as it is ‘relatively new’ and pundits are still in disagreement.

But in my personal experience, I have seen DRASTIC differences in eliminating gluten completely from my diet.
I literally never get breakouts anymore or random fatigue, thinking is clear, performance in training/lifting is great, and I even feel more calm. Dare I say that it even cured my bouts of depression.
I do occasionally (maybe monthly) indulge in gluten (a pita bread with my middle eastern food, or a beautiful brick oven pizza), but the effects are felt almost immediately.

The only pre-workout I ever sometimes use is a cup of coffee. But for a week after eating gluten, I notice a distinct difference in not only energy, but my motivation on the mats or in the gym. It is then I can see why so many, who are perhaps unaware of a gluten intolerance or other food allergies, are so adamant about getting their pre-workout drink in before every session. Because I say that if you need a substance to get your ass to the gym, you’re in there for the wrong reason, but I digress.

Of course, to each his own.

I suffered from acne, occasionally getting cysts, into my 20’s. I still deal with it, but it’s much milder now and I no longer use any kind of acne creams.

Don’t touch your face. Don’t pick at your face. Don’t scrub or wash your face roughly; be gentle. Acne is inflammation and these things will make it worse.

What I found to work is benzoyl peroxide 2.5% once a day, over the affected area (where your acne appears, not where it is now!) letting it dry, then applying a good moisturizer. I like Nutrogena Face Moisturizer. I also use scent free soap.

I found 10% benzoyl peroxide to be absolute overkill and it dried my skin like a crazy, making existing breakouts worse and causing my skin to generally look terrible.

I never noticed diet having an affect, except that when I am gaining weight I get more frequent breakouts.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
I suffered from acne, occasionally getting cysts, into my 20’s. I still deal with it, but it’s much milder now and I no longer use any kind of acne creams.

Don’t touch your face. Don’t pick at your face. Don’t scrub or wash your face roughly; be gentle. Acne is inflammation and these things will make it worse.

What I found to work is benzoyl peroxide 2.5% once a day, over the affected area (where your acne appears, not where it is now!) letting it dry, then applying a good moisturizer. I like Nutrogena Face Moisturizer. I also use scent free soap.

I found 10% benzoyl peroxide to be absolute overkill and it dried my skin like a crazy, making existing breakouts worse and causing my skin to generally look terrible.

I never noticed diet having an affect, except that when I am gaining weight I get more frequent breakouts.

[/quote]

I had the same experience. I would also recommend getting as much sleep as possible because I found a high correlation with bad acne and lack of sleep, even now although it isn’t nearly as bad when I was younger. I didn’t realize sleep was so important back in middle and high school. Drink lots of water too.