Acne Removal?

just wondering whether anyone has tried laser treatment to remove acne. Ive searched through past threads and havent come up with much. Im thinking about getting the procedure done and just wanna see what others thoughts are and the experience they have had.

Why don’t you go to a dermotologist. They are the ones that will be able to tell you what treatment and medications to use.

Accutane to remove acne, if it’s bad or persistant enough.

Laser treatment to remove any scarring that acne may have caused. Acne is (in my experience) a hormonal problem from inside the body - external treatments only ‘treat’ the symptoms, not the cause.

I suggest bleach. Did Michael Jackson have acne? No.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Acne is (in my experience) a hormonal problem from inside the body - external treatments only ‘treat’ the symptoms, not the cause.[/quote]
Exactly. It is incomparably better for the skin simply not to generate acne-type conditions than to try to fight acne when the skin is generating conditions suited to it.

Estrogen can be a culprit.

Dietary coconut oil, it seems to me, is helpful by causing sebum to flow more easily, rather than easily forming plugs.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Acne is (in my experience) a hormonal problem from inside the body - external treatments only ‘treat’ the symptoms, not the cause.[/quote]

I firmly agree with this. During college I always had very mild acne that was well controlled with topicals. Upon graduation I decided to switch to the Paleo Diet, for health reasons, but with that change my acne disappeared.

Upon further research I found that acne usually comes as a result of either sugar intolerance’s or acidic eating styles, both of which are pretty much eliminated with the Paleo Diet.

Now I am not advocating that you switch to my diet, I am simply suggesting that you do your research and see if there is a diet that you would be confident in switching to. IMO diet has a huge effect on acne, and personally I have seen how it works.

Below is a link that another T-Nation member actually shared with me, and it has some great information. Don’t sign up for any of the email things or books, I didn’t. Just click around and read as much as you can.

I had a skim through some of the information on that website and it seems pretty useful. They have a heavy section on dairy products and more specifically milk. Now i’ve heard this before and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with cutting out dairy products of their diet and what the results were? The reason I ask is because i’m currently bulking and on a student budget milk is a dietry staple for me.

Thanks.

[quote]Trousers wrote:
I had a skim through some of the information on that website and it seems pretty useful. They have a heavy section on dairy products and more specifically milk. Now i’ve heard this before and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with cutting out dairy products of their diet and what the results were? The reason I ask is because i’m currently bulking and on a student budget milk is a dietry staple for me.

Thanks.[/quote]

I have. I used to drink tons of milk, and would also get some cystic acne on my shoulders and chest. I have completely eliminated dairy from my diet (except eggs if that’s considered dairy) and I no longer have any problems with that kind of acne.

Dairy, sugar, and vegetable oils (except olive oil and coconut oil) are the three biggest contributors to acne, and if you can eliminate those, I bet you will see a tremendous improvement.

[quote]Trousers wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

Milk and wheat allergies are among the most common food allergies on the planet, so while it may not be the cause, there is a good chance that it can help by cutting those foods out. I haven’t tried it personally, though.

What’s the word on whey being a dairy product?

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
What’s the word on whey being a dairy product?[/quote]

It is a dairy product. You can find some that contain very low amounts of lactose, but in the end it is a product of cheese.

They most certainly are not.

What about fruit?

Laser treatment is great, it doesn’t peel off skin like a microdermabrasion does, unless you have extra sensitive skin. It’s on the expensive side but it’s pretty thorough and the sessions are short, although somewhat painful, but nothing you couldn’t handle.

Diet has made a huge difference for me. I agree with Westcoast about the Paleo diet, i have fewer outbreaks and the ones i get are minor and go away with over-the-counter acne creams.

I have a few things to add to this thread, specifically about the Accutane pills.
Both my father and my mother had severe acne in their teen years, so i had no chance in hell of going through with unblemished skin. I had severe acne throughout my early teens, and tried some antibiotics and topical creams, so when i read about Accutane in a forum much like this one, i thought i should give it a try.

Now, not everyone responds to Accutane the same way, but i have to warn people against using them. I had severe dry lips, some digestive trouble, joint pain and bouts of suicidal depression. All side-effects i was made aware of later on through my own research (Tijuana dermatologist…). I had to go through 2 rounds of Accutane pills, as i relapsed after my first one, and right now i’ve been about 5-6 months without taking them and i’m relatively clear with some minor outbreaks, but my face and back are almost completely clear. Again i do not wish to derail this thread, Accutane is serious business, and acne is a bitch. I would only recommend them to people with cystic lesions and deep, phisically painful pimples.

Good luck.

[quote]Keki wrote:
Now, not everyone responds to Accutane the same way, but i have to warn people against using them. I had severe dry lips, some digestive trouble, joint pain and bouts of suicidal depression. All side-effects i was made aware of later on through my own research (Tijuana dermatologist…). I had to go through 2 rounds of Accutane pills, as i relapsed after my first one, and right now i’ve been about 5-6 months without taking them and i’m relatively clear with some minor outbreaks, but my face and back are almost completely clear. Again i do not wish to derail this thread, Accutane is serious business, and acne is a bitch. I would only recommend them to people with cystic lesions and deep, phisically painful pimples.

Good luck.[/quote]

While I agree, I’ll bet that you had a doctor prescribe you with a normal ‘high’ dose cycle, right?

I self-administered a low dose protocol for 4 months (10mg 2 months/20mg 2 months) and had very few side effects. The only one I have now is that my skin gets dry with small red patches in the winter, when exposed to the cold.

Though as the others have pointed out, diet is key.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]Keki wrote:

Good luck.[/quote]

While I agree, I’ll bet that you had a doctor prescribe you with a normal ‘high’ dose cycle, right?

I self-administered a low dose protocol for 4 months (10mg 2 months/20mg 2 months) and had very few side effects. The only one I have now is that my skin gets dry with small red patches in the winter, when exposed to the cold.

Though as the others have pointed out, diet is key.[/quote]

I was on Accutane for six months, prescribed by my dermatologist, and I had really bad symptoms that would come and go. The only thing I found that would help the extreme chapped lips was vasoline lol. I kept a full case of water next to my bed all the time because it would dehydrate me really fast(I probably didn’t drink enough normally anyways).

Ever since then, I’ve been clear skinned except for very little back-ne that comes and goes. The worst part about that stuff is that on the package is has a deformed baby on every pill reminding you that it is some powerful stuff.

[quote]Paste42 wrote:
I was on Accutane for six months, prescribed by my dermatologist, and I had really bad symptoms that would come and go. The only thing I found that would help the extreme chapped lips was vasoline lol. I kept a full case of water next to my bed all the time because it would dehydrate me really fast(I probably didn’t drink enough normally anyways).

Ever since then, I’ve been clear skinned except for very little back-ne that comes and goes. The worst part about that stuff is that on the package is has a deformed baby on every pill reminding you that it is some powerful stuff.[/quote]

What dosage were you prescribed?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]Paste42 wrote:

Ever since then, I’ve been clear skinned except for very little back-ne that comes and goes. The worst part about that stuff is that on the package is has a deformed baby on every pill reminding you that it is some powerful stuff.[/quote]

What dosage were you prescribed?[/quote]
It was about 7 years ago, so I really can’t remember. At the time there was only one dosage I believe.

At the time, there was a huge push to make Accutane illegal because of the side effects. A politicians son flew an airplane into the side of a hanger while taking it so it was under scrutiny for being too strong.

I didn’t experience any suicidal thoughts, but I did have mood swings alot. Then again I was 16, so alot probably had to do with my age lol.

If anybody is considering Accutane I would advise doing some serious research before choosing that as your treatment path. In addition to being an incredibly poisonous drug, many users experience permanent negative side effects, even after they have fully discontinued or finished their course.

I have never used Accutane, thus I am far from an expert on the subject, but I would only hope that those thinking about using such a course are fully aware of its actions and consequences.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

I firmly agree with this. During college I always had very mild acne that was well controlled with topicals. Upon graduation I decided to switch to the Paleo Diet, for health reasons, but with that change my acne disappeared.

Upon further research I found that acne usually comes as a result of either sugar intolerance’s or acidic eating styles, both of which are pretty much eliminated with the Paleo Diet.

Now I am not advocating that you switch to my diet, I am simply suggesting that you do your research and see if there is a diet that you would be confident in switching to. IMO diet has a huge effect on acne, and personally I have seen how it works.

Below is a link that another T-Nation member actually shared with me, and it has some great information. Don’t sign up for any of the email things or books, I didn’t. Just click around and read as much as you can.

And the Paleo diet also follows Bills suggestion that (eating) coconut oil (not topical) helps.

My acne is dramatically improved (from mild to non-existent) after I started eating coconut oil and cut out all refined flour and most milk (besides CH). It only took a couple of weeks to notice a difference, but it might depend on severity to determine how quickly a person responds. I also adhered to the diet 100%, which was no gluten or dairy and daily coconut oil.