Acidity in Foods

Berardi suggest to eat fruits or vegetables in every meal in order to neutralize the acidity of protein.

So besides fruits and vegetables, what other foods are bases? Nuts, oats, honey. Are they acids or bases?

How about fish? Is it acid too?

Also, beans and lentil contain high protein. So these are considered acids, bases or neutral?

[quote]BobPit wrote:
Berardi suggest to eat fruits or vegetables in every meal in order to neutralize the acidity of protein.

So besides fruits and vegetables, what other foods are bases? Nuts, oats, honey. Are they acids or bases?

How about fish? Is it acid too?

Also, beans and lentil contain high protein. So these are considered acids, bases or neutral?

[/quote]

http://www.acid-base.de/tabelle.htm

Great source

Thanks

This is an on going area of interest for anyone like myself interested in bodybuilding and eating both for health and to look good naked - it’s also an area which is still a bit open to debate - i.e there are different areas of thought regarding acid/alkaline effects of certain foods.

Some researchers suggest that sugar is acidic, and therefore reccomend low sugar fruits mostly. It’s also interesting that Whey is considered to have alkalising propeties - however I do not know what type of whey this refers to (and may be without sweeteners?). I also have to confess to owning one of those whacky water ionizers which alkalises the water, adds minerals and supposedly increases anti-oxidant properties - does it work - well it changes the properties of the water so even it doesn’t, I like the cool bubbles in the water! They use them in Japanese hospitals so they are backed by some research.

[quote]edvizard wrote:
Whey is considered to have alkalising propeties - however I do not know what type of whey this refers to (and may be without sweeteners?). [/quote]

Obviously they refer to pure wheys. No sweeteners or aspartame.