T Nation

Acid Saliva

Okay, so I am interested in the ph of my saliva and need ed the nudge from the waistline article formerly known as MWA so I WILL be ordering Superfood this evening…anyway, I licked the litmus and it reads 7. what does that mean? The scale goes from 5-8. I have eaten twice and worked out just prior so I realize I should do it tomorrow morning, but meanwhile what is too acidic and what is slightly alkaline? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

‘Newbie at leaning out…’

If your saliva reaches an 8, you’ll be able to spit on metal and it will burn and melt away.

If you’re just a newbie to leaning out, you really don’t need to be worrying about the acidity of your saliva. That’s really focusing on something you don’t need to be.

So the recent ‘Waistline’ article on MWA that mentions checking your pH is not for average people like me trying to slim down?? I took it as a yes. When following a strict fat loss plan aka high protein/cycling hi/lo/no carb I think I’d like to learn whether I am running a bit acidic vs. slightly alkaline… Hey, AngryVader, are you a male or female?

BTW, my level reads 0 but my husband has been purchasing for us for years…I am relatively new to T-Nation and MWA ( 12 mos.) As for my memory from high school chem. I would want to be slightly above 7, 7 being neutral, yes? and lower than that is acid… why would 8 be metal burning acid?

Acidic saliva…leaning out…and I missing something?

I don’t read the articles on MWA. My IT blocks that site at work.

You should probably be posting this in the MWA Forums or the discussion thread for the article.

Not everyone in the SaN forum reads the MWA articles.

True…

Great comments things one should look at when dieting: on temp. and metabolism dropping after dieting for extended periods of time, pH, etc. Check it out, clearly we all can pull something from this! Here is the link:
http://www.figureathlete.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/5_lifestyle_tips_to_reduce_your_waist

[quote]jmw wrote:
True…

Great comments things one should look at when dieting: on temp. and metabolism dropping after dieting for extended periods of time, pH, etc. Check it out, clearly we all can pull something from this! Here is the link:
http://www.figureathlete.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/5_lifestyle_tips_to_reduce_your_waist [/quote]

Interesting article. But yes, I’d advise posting your questions in the discussion thread for that article. You’ll get a more intelligent response from those that have read it and Jen herself will likely provide a response.

Sorry, about the confusion. I was just being silly as I didn’t understand your post and it being related to an article.

No, I apologize— I was looking for the article to post and I guess I thought I was in MWA and saw Supplements and Nutrition instead so I took a stab at it…thanks, I’ll go there for more info. It was fun!

7 is neutral
8-12 is basic
1-6 is acdic

PH levels are huge for “leaning out”.

If you are acidic, your body’s cells are likely to be filled w/ toxins making it very hard to lose fat.

6.25-7 is optimal I think.

dont want to be too alkaline and definately not too acidic.

[quote]Gene_lasker wrote:
7 is neutral
8-12 is basic
1-6 is acdic[/quote]

Almost - 7 is neutral. Greater than 7 is basic, less than 7 is acidic. So, 6.9 for example is slightly acidic.