T Nation

Achy Knees

What can be done?

It is not bad but, the area under my knees caps especially the left one can be bothersome at times.

Also, is clicking knees when squatting a problem?

A knee joint is a complex thing and knee pain can have many sources. I would recommend seeing a doctor if it is persistent and bothersome. That said, here is what has helped me when it comes to squatting and knee pain.

1. Prevention: Get better at squatting. It is my understanding that knee pain is indicative of poor technique. That has been my personal experience as well.

2. Relief: Ice packs. They work.

I haven’t needed ice since adopting low-bar squatting using Rippetoe’s technique described in Starting Strength. It has been a journey for this lifter, but I feel like I am out of the woods now when it comes to knee pain and squatting.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

2jars (any relation to 2chainz?) advice is spot on and sensible. I went through a similar situation but I am not sensible. I’m creeping up on 40, my gym is cold during the winter and sometimes my knees just ache. I got knee sleeves. I don’t think they add any poundage to my squats but my knees don’t ache.

18 tips for bulletproof knees: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/18_tips_for_bulletproof_knees

#1 is knee sleeves

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
Any relation to 2chainz? [/quote]

Maybe. Hes that chubby Polish guy who teaches at MIT, right? Could be from my mothers side.

#1 knee sleeves…ha! Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

When the knees hurt, wrap them tighter :wink:

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:
18 tips for bulletproof knees: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/18_tips_for_bulletproof_knees

#1 is knee sleeves[/quote]

Very useful thanks!

Lots of home made chicken broth. Seriously helps lubricate joints and allows them to recover and heal faster. I drink a cup of it a day. Works wonders.

–Me

This thread is voodoo. My knees have been fine for months until yesterday. They aren’t horrible, just a bit achy.

Going to give knee wraps a try!

Voodoo bands help eliminate pain almost immediately. I also use a lacrosse ball to hit the quads.

I had some annoying knee pain for a while, and found out it was from not going totally “ass to grass” on my heavy squats.

side lying clams in your warm up. 3 sets of however many reps it takes to feel like your glute is on fire.

I have just fixed your knee pain. You are welcome.

1. Fix your form. Patella pain is almost 9/10 caused by to much forward knee flextion when it comes to the squat.
  2. Knee Sleeves. If you don’t have those or its not another wraps a Ace Bandage tightly but not so tight to cut circulation directly below your knee cap for direct pressure on the tendon. If that is still not enough wrap your knees entirely. If that didn’t fix refer to number 1 because your form is hideous.
  3. Warm up more
  4. Heating gel while training.
    5.Anti Inflammatory before training.

I would recommend a pair of Tommy Kono knee sleeves. I have had mine since 08 or 09 and they still work wonderfully.

I wrap my knees on my heavier work, keeps them from aching like others have echoed here.

Second the chicken broth, Voodoo bands, Lacrosse Ball

NO ICE btw

Look at Kelly Starretts stuff and you will learn a LOT!

Clicking isn’t necessarily related. My knees have done some clicking since I started weights a few years back and the only time I have gotten knee pain is when I pushed too far or insisted on squatting when my form was moving like crap.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
Clicking isn’t necessarily related. My knees have done some clicking since I started weights a few years back and the only time I have gotten knee pain is when I pushed too far or insisted on squatting when my form was moving like crap.[/quote]

My ankles click like crazy and have done so for like 15 years, but I’ve never had any pain. A wacky GP back then told me that I had had a fast growth spurt (I was a teenager) and air had built up in the joint or some kind of wizardry like that… You’d expect the air would have come out after 15 years.