Accutane Journal

There is the thread where I was asking if I should do accutane and I was weighing the pros and cons. I have been interested in trying accutane for about a year now. After finally convincing my parents, getting an appointment with a new dermatologist, and getting bloodtests done, I was able to start Accutane 4 days ago.

Im 17 and Ive had acne for 6 years and Ive tried everything over the counter and I tried antibitotics prescribed from a dermatologist with nothing working. I have full confidence that accutane will be the solution. I have started out on 30mg twice a day, and I am excited to see the results. This thread will serve as a place where I can post pictures and share any of the side effects that I am experiencing.

Picture I just took to serve as a starting point. Left Side

Right side

Well Im on day 4 and Ive experienced no side effects yet and I feel completely normal. Heres a little anecdotal story regarding side effects. I was SUPPOSED to start accutane in November but then my parents said that I couldn’t at the last second. A few days after I was supposed to have started it I got a bloody nose, and I never get bloody noses. A week later I started getting some back pains. And then a week after that a girlfriend dumped me which made me feel pretty damn depressed for about 3 months.

Theres no doubt in my mind that if I had been on accutane, I wouldve simply thought, “Oh, thats just the Accutane.” I guess my point is that when people are on accutane they blame every little ailment on the accutane, when the accutane is probably not responsible at all. This is probably part of what gives accutane such a bad rep.

Now I realize that some of its side effects are very real, especially the dryness. After a lot of research I just dont believe that its the big scary drug that many make it out to be.

that shit is awful for health. How about finding out the root cause :wink:

Sorry, just saw that you’re 17…

eliminate gluten and dairy for 30 days, would be a good start.

Also check this link:

You’re 17? Yeah, same story. I am in the camp that tends to believe the accutane risks are overstated. Give a teenager an excuse to cop out, and a percentage will take that excuse. Good luck, accutane didn’t cure anything but fuck everything else they give you, accutane does SOMETHING. For me, it took about 3 years and a second, much shorter period of time taking it, but I had 0 side effects. Just doesn’t work in day.

Drink goat milk instead of cow milk is the only anecdotal advice I have for acne. Obv avoid processed shit but that should be interpreted as an exhortation to eat healthy stuff when you can, so don’t sweat the small stuff. Toothpaste overnight will dry out a pimple, and you could invest in one of those little tools they have in the cosmetics section. I sincerely wish you the best.

Good luck. I took it for around 8 months and it cured my acne forever. I only get acne nowadays if I eat oranges (or similar) and it’s just a minor pimple there or there.

About side effects, after a few months of taking it my sinus dried and they still haven’t gotten any better (few years later). I also developed a “Spring allergy”, although that may not be related at all, but just coincidence.

You’re 17, so I’d have personally waited until you were older to see if you really needed it. I had no acne at all until I was 19 when I had a nasty year and I had some bad break ups and only antibiotics or similar would stop it. Sadly I couldn’t take tetracycline forever, so I had to go for accutane.

My sister had a serious acne outbreak in her late 20s. She was prescribed Accutane and it was cleared up within weeks never to return. No side effects as well.

I took accutane. Made my skin flake, lips bleed and hair fall out.

Didn’t cure my acne. You know what did? Doxy and cutting out dairy.
My derm didn’t believe diet was related to acne and skipped anti biotics all the way to 'tane. Wish I hadn’t taken it.

Good luck.

Accutane is the bomb.

That shit even cured my razor burn.

Chapped lips for 6 months so I can shave with a rusty tin can lid and not break out? Where do I sign?

I had to do Accutane 2x. Once in high school, and again towards the end of my senior year of college because shit came back. Accutane isn’t depressing. Having a pizza face is depressing. I still get a little acne, but nothing compared to pre-accutane.

Be careful with the summer coming up. You’re probably going to have to be a hermit. Not trying to put a damper on things, but that’s just the way it is. I think that part of it is understated. Lotion. Aquaphor. Sunscreen. Multiple times a day. You’ll get to the point where you don’t even use Cetaphil to wash your face anymore; just water. I even started to get angular cheilitis pretty bad. That being, you might decide to postpone until after summer.

Regarding weight lifting, I did have 2 occurrences after Max Effort work that brought upon flu like symptoms and rendered me bed ridden for 2-3 days. Not sure how or why that happened, but it did… and it was pinpointed to the training that I was doing at that time.

If I had to go back in time there’s no doubt in my mind that I would take Accutane again. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Sometimes it is hard to go through, though. I participated in the www.acne.org forums during my time to help cope with it.

6 months of accutane after 6-7 years of cystic acne and they went, never to come back. Apart from dry lips no side effects. Closest thing to a miracle drug there was for me.

Today was the first day where I started experiencing any side effects. My skin was a bit flaky when i woke up, but nothing that Im not used to from a benzoyl peroxide etc. My lips were also quite dry. The inside of my nose has also been dry lately, and today I got a nosebleed right in the middle of cuddling with a girl. Still managed to get it in though;) I bought aquaphor and cetaphil and all that good stuff and used it for the first time today. Id say my acne is slightly worse than usual, since i have 7-8 cysts on my face at the moment and I usually get no more the 3. More update pictures to come.

Yeah, bro. Buy stock in ChapStick and a moisturizing lotion (Aveeno worked great for me) and you should do as well as can be expected.

My skin was fine as long as I moisturized regularly (morning, afternoon, night), but my lips were chapped throughout the treatment.

The nose thing is tricky, too. Just remember not to pick it and be gentle when blowing the boogers out.

It will be an annoying process, but totally worth it. Just be thankful you should be out of the woods by next winter.

Had acne when I turned 16. Never cystic but very badly. Had it till I was 18 then hopped on accutane after many other meds. I did a cycle of it and it cleared my acne completely for about 6 months then it came back. So I hopped back on a few months later for 5 months. After that cycle I was clear.

I am now 20, so its been a year and a half Ive been off, and Im still acne free. I get a tiny pimple here and there, but my face is more clear than anyone I know. This stuff is amazing. Only sides were, lips dry as fck!, Dry nostrils ( seriously put some vaseline or some sht in there), and I got more tired than usual sometimes. But the results were worth every side. Keep up with it.

[quote]gabex wrote:
I had to do Accutane 2x. Once in high school, and again towards the end of my senior year of college because shit came back. Accutane isn’t depressing. Having a pizza face is depressing. I still get a little acne, but nothing compared to pre-accutane.

Be careful with the summer coming up. You’re probably going to have to be a hermit. Not trying to put a damper on things, but that’s just the way it is. I think that part of it is understated. Lotion. Aquaphor. Sunscreen. Multiple times a day. You’ll get to the point where you don’t even use Cetaphil to wash your face anymore; just water. I even started to get angular cheilitis pretty bad. That being, you might decide to postpone until after summer.

Regarding weight lifting, I did have 2 occurrences after Max Effort work that brought upon flu like symptoms and rendered me bed ridden for 2-3 days. Not sure how or why that happened, but it did… and it was pinpointed to the training that I was doing at that time.

If I had to go back in time there’s no doubt in my mind that I would take Accutane again. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Sometimes it is hard to go through, though. I participated in the www.acne.org forums during my time to help cope with it.[/quote]

Shitty. I was fine in the sun, no chapped lips, no nose bleeds, nothing.

HOLY FUCK ALCOHOL AND ACCUTANE ARE A TERRIBLE COMBINATION.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Accutane is the bomb.

Chapped lips for 6 months so I can shave with a rusty tin can lid and not break out? Where do I sign?[/quote]

Wait, that’s why? I shave without water even and I’m fine, and honestly that is a change I hadn’t noticed before now.

[quote]Kanada wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Accutane is the bomb.

Chapped lips for 6 months so I can shave with a rusty tin can lid and not break out? Where do I sign?[/quote]

Wait, that’s why? I shave without water even and I’m fine, and honestly that is a change I hadn’t noticed before now.[/quote]

Shit that makes me want to try the stuff. I don’t have much acne (a little on my back and shoulders at times) but I get terrible razor burn all over my neck every time I shave.