Accuracy of Labels

I was doing a bit of research in the descrepancy between macros and calories with a particular app tracker and came upon an article stating food labels allow for a 20% margin of error between what’s labeled, and what’s actually present. I recognize we’re talking about estimates, but this is still pretty suprising if true. I’d like to do a little more research, but if anyone already has the facts, I’d be curious what you know. Again, not much you can do about it, just rather surprising…

yeah I’ve heard that too. Figure you just need to chalk it up as another bullshit thing you can’t control so there’s no point worrying about it.

Agreed… the funny part is I started reading articles about how inaccurate some calorie and macro trackers where claiming as much as a 6% error rate and the ‘authors’ bitched an complained how ashamed the companies should be of their free apps. After digging deeper it was humourous to find the labels they’re comparing the database to could be as much as 20% off.

I agree, no sense in worrying about it, but it goes to show that hitting your daily / weekly macros and cal goals seems more art than science.

1 Like

More often than not; the practical application of science is an art.

1 Like