Accommodating Resistance - Question

Thank you guys for presenting some very interesting (David Tate - acommadating resistance) articles in Testosterone online mag. I’d like to ask you about how can you determine how much resistance (or weight)when you use bands and/or chains? And how much plate weight I’m supposed to use with the bands or chains. For example, I weigh 185 Ibs and my RM for full squats is 340 Ibs so, how much weight (plates) I should use and how much resistance from the bands or chains I should use. Thank you T-mag readers for answering this question.

If you are talking bands from the bottom and not reverse bands, band resistance and chain resistance are significantly different. Bands supply a lot of acceleration that resistance due to gravity (weight) doesn’t.

Depending on how creative you are with the chains, most cannot get but about 50% of the chains as “accommodating.” I would start with about 20% accommodating with chains. Then you can be getting 340lbs at the top and 275lbs at the bottom.

I wouldn’t be using bands for about 6 more months with chains. It is much different feel and may not benefit bodybuilding as much as power building.

(Chains and reverse bands are essentially the same.)

23 years later

It always surprises me how long this site has been about for.

3 Likes

How do these threads with no replies get to the top of my recent posted threads? I usually just read the post and reply, or not. I need to start reading the date.

1 Like

I was in kindergarten when this thread started haha still 7 years before I’d start lifting although the seeds had been planted by watching Mark McGwire play back then. I knew I wanted to be big and strong like that!

2 Likes

…I’d graduated and joined the Army. Ouch