T Nation

Accidents with Weights that are Too Heavy?

Well today I decided to face my fears and squat about 45lb heavier than usual, with a belt. I did 6 reps of about 300lb and had a good sensation. I had a little break but obviously it wasn’t long enough.

My plan was to do one deep squat with the same weight, so I squatted down, but must have gone too far because the bar kept falling and my mate who is new to bodybuilding wasn’t even watching so it crashed down on the catchers, quite embarrassing, I looked like a total noob trying to “show off” but I was actually trying to take it up a step. Has anybody else ever done this?

You’ve never failed to lift a weight? Thats the whole purpose of the squat rack.

I’ve gotten 2 buddies into lifting, and the first time either of them failed a squat, and I tried to spot them, they dumped the bar back into my hands and made me curl it. Good thing it was only 115.

i dropped a 90lb DB on my thigh today failing at a seated shoulder press. shit aches.

and i partially dislocated my right shoulder 3 times in 10 weeks last year from failing at incline pressing.

No.

I never fail.

Ever.

Once while squatting, I thought I had racked the weight on the hooks – but one side was off. The bar fell and hit the back of my head. My knees buckled but I caught myself. The bar landed on the support hooks with a bang and everybody looked.

I was doing flat-bench once and I had asked for a spot from an employee of the gym where I was lifting. It was 245 – a lot of weight for me at the time, with no clamps. Halfway through the set, my right arm got tweaked or something and it started going up slower than the left. The final rep, my right arm was stuck half way up where my left was completely extended. My “spotter” was day dreaming or something and the 10 pound weight on my right side slid off, which caused all the weights on the left side to slide off, which in turn caused the remaining weight on the right side to fall off – all the time I was just holding on for the ride.

At the same gym I was doing seated overhead dumbell presses and lost control of a 'bell – I was worried about dropping it so I just tried to bring my arm in closer to me so I could re-gain control of it. My arm gave out and I got a pretty good taste of the dumbell – it hit me square in the mouth.

I’ve fallen backwards on my ass doing deadlifts more than a few times.

Shit happens.

I’ve passed out squatting once, and woke up to some personal trainer standing over me… Wasn’t embarrassing just went about my business

wasn’t so much as too heavy, just being clumsy. my first ever bench press at my current gym i didn’t rack the bar properly and it slipped off one side and landed on my face. fortunately nobody noticed so it didn’t actually happen :wink:

" must have gone down too far?!? " no such thing in a squat… plus you decided to jump 45lbs in weight?? wish i got 45 lbs stronger between squat session… as for my accidents… shrugging 500lbs on a trap bar and my slightly frayed lifting strap tore and the weight ended up smashing onto the bars…

passed out once after a power clean… racked the barbell… next i know i’m staring at the gym ceiling…

did a warm up set on incline dumbell press… prob 50lb db’s… finished, dropped them to the floor while holding them… of course there was another db on the floor right where i put them down… and trapped the end of my finger between the handle and the plate of the db… it ripped the end of my fingernail out from the bed end and broke the bone at the end… end of finger was kinda hanging off…

I dislocated my shoulder yesterday while doing sitting dumbell overhead presses… I probably used a bit too much weight (and the “chair” I was sitting on was not perfectly perpendicular to the ground) and so on the third rep my left arm was pulled backwards and my shoulder just popped… I used about 60lbs dumbells

Being stuck under the leg press because of a widowmaker. Felt more tired than usual and had a long day… on the 17th rep I couldn’t hold the weight and it crashed down. I felt like an harmonica… my girlfriend a some other guy looked terrified. I just laughed and struggled to come under out of the weight, which wasn’t that hard.

I’m not that tall, so I’m just being pushed down to the length where I have my knees on my chest. But I already knew this.

I had an accordion incident maybe 6 months or so ago.

It was a Strive leg press where you can adjust the thing so as to change the resistance curve. For leg presses I set it for maximum resistance at the top of the movement.

For some reason – it must have at least been after doing squats so it wasn’t a matter of doing it cold – I went straight to the machine’s maximum weight for the first set. It is a light duty machine so that is nothing impressive: 720 on the bars and then another 180 piled on top of the sled.

Felt fine lifting it off the stops. Really easy, even.

But as I lowered it, quickly it began to seem remarkably heavy and then suddenly it accelerated! SQUISH!!! I was completely folded up.

I was so surprised by the weirdness of what was going on that the reflexive response was, believe it or not, not to push yet harder (I wouldn’t at all be surprised if it could have stopped with max effort) but actually to stop pushing entirely or at least mostly. So the final part of the drop was REALLY fast.

The adjustment handle was of course in the “heaviest at bottom” position.

And the final-backup stops (if they can be called that) on that machine are low enough to allow Mini-Me a full ROM. It really was lucky that I wasn’t hurt on that bonehead move.

let me preface this by saying…I’m really stubborn, and I’m an idiot…

literally one of the first days that i started lifting(16yrs old) I was doing squats and I loaded the bar to 315 and I squatted it but i was about 4 inches from parallel, so i tried again and I got buried…I was training alone and at home with no catches, so I just dropped the bar off my back and it slammed into the floor…

I’ve had to roll a shitload of 200-225lb benches off of me…

after I severely injured my back deadlifting…I just strapped a belt tighter and lifted 60lbs more only to cause more damage…

none of that necessary and completely stupid…but, i’ve learned how to become a lot more disciplined and focused now, and I would never do such things again as they have harmed my progress…technique is everything

In high school, someone took the safety pins out from the squat cage where I had set up without me knowing, (Guy apparently didn’t know in his cage, the pins were laying beside it) when I couldn’t get out of the hole on one of my reps, I looked and saw no freaking pins beside me!

Ended up having to quickly cross my arms in front of me, and thrust myself forwards out from under the bar, had what looked like a huge claw mark down my back for a few weeks after that.

Also, one time I pushed the Valsalva manouver a bit too much, and after a set of deadlifts I fell to my knees and blacked out for a few minutes, apparently not falling over at all while unconscious.

Nothing special in experience, but I’d say I’d better be careful with my snatches and OH lift as I don’t hvae bumper plates.

I remember the first time I squatted 225 for 5 (above parallel and w/ belt) I thought it was time to try and max with 315. I did it in the open rack and straddled a bench to make sure I would squat low enough (like a box squat). Shortly after unlocking my knees the bar drove me straight down onto the bench and I slipped a disk in my back. Luckily I was able to just drop the weight on the safety bars and at least walk out of there.

squatting in my basement several years ago by myself in a power rack. It was 455 I believe and I had my suit and wraps on. I stalled about 2/3 the way up for a split second and then shot up to lock out which threw me off balance. I rocked back and forth a few times before pitching forward (good morning style) and the bar went from my back, smacked me in the base of the skull and then caught me again on the crown of the skull before crashing violently to the pins. I have it on old vhs tape somewhere…

I have got stuck on the bench a few times too. Funniest was repping out with 225 after working up. 225x20 had been a goal for a long time and #19 was tough but I wanted 20, even though I didn’t have a spotter. I got it about half way up and briefly contemplated shoving it back toward the rack but didn’t like the idea of shoving 225 toward my face and hoping I made it to the pins, so I just lowered it to my chest and calmly asked for “a little help”. 3 guys ran over and pulled it off me and acted like they saved my life…LOL

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
I felt like an harmonica… [/quote]

Ummm… how?

I think you’re thinking of an accordion

[quote]D Public wrote:
let me preface this by saying…I’m really stubborn, and I’m an idiot…

literally one of the first days that i started lifting(16yrs old) I was doing squats and I loaded the bar to 315 and I squatted it but i was about 4 inches from parallel, so i tried again and I got buried…I was training alone and at home with no catches, so I just dropped the bar off my back and it slammed into the floor…

I’ve had to roll a shitload of 200-225lb benches off of me…

after I severely injured my back deadlifting…I just strapped a belt tighter and lifted 60lbs more only to cause more damage…

none of that necessary and completely stupid…but, i’ve learned how to become a lot more disciplined and focused now, and I would never do such things again as they have harmed my progress…technique is everything[/quote]
Sounds like that would damage your growth, no? How tall are you now?

[quote]dyeguy1212 wrote:

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
I felt like an harmonica… [/quote]

Ummm… how?

I think you’re thinking of an accordion
[/quote]

Maybe some dude was blowing him…