T Nation

Acceptable For Dips?

I’ve been lifting at home and occasionally at the gym for almost a year now and have been looking for a way to do dips at home, since CW has them in every other workout in the HF program. This is the best I can do at this point. Acceptable? It’s doable with bodyweight, but I have yet to try to put a dumbell between my legs and do them there.
I imagine if that fails, putting plates in a backpack is a good alternative?
Any help or opinions?

Can you reach? That looks like a very wide angle.

It’s cheaper to spend $20 on some pipes at the hardware store than it is to repair your cabinets.

That counter looks pretty slippery to me. How much do you weigh and how big are you? I would find it pretty hard to accomplish a dip when your knees and everything keep banging against those cupboards. If you want to do dips at home, try using two chairs. I think you know how to set them up for dips so no details are needed. In my opinion, I believe it’s better than your alternative. Best of luck.

That looks kinda risky, man. I had a 90-degree angle to work with, plus I used the bar stools a lot as well. I’d go with the pipe idea.

Have a power rack? I bought chains at home depot and some rubber tubing and use that for dips.

Much harder to do since I am trying to keep my arms from shooting out to the side.

I’m 5’6" and 150+ pounds.
As a cleaner alternative to chalk, I wear worker type gloves. I think they’re made of threaded wool but they have little dots of rubber on the palm side.

I did the dips there yesterday w/ bodyweight and the only thing worth mentioning was my knees rubbing up and down the door, no big deal.
I usually use 20 or 25 pounds of extra weight in a dip station at the gym.

On the pipe idea, how much would it cost to get them welded, on the spot? Or do they come in adequate shape?

If you have a house you can usually find 2 chairs for free inside it.

they’re not nearly high enough, and the back supports are no good for dips.
No bar stools either.

find a tree. im sure theres a tree around that has 2 branches next to eachother that are parellel to eachother or pretty close lol.

Sounds stupid i know but ive started to use my BATH for dips.

obv depends on how your bathroom is shaped / size etc but if you put your hands on the bath, there mus b somewhere(hopefully) where you can rest your feet, eg sink / toilet / window ledge or someting… :slight_smile:

Good luck lol

Can you afford $100?

Check out

http://www.dunhamssports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1257759&cp=710956.694003&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

I would stick to bodyweight dips.

Weights can fuck up a nice floor or kitchen counter.

[quote]muscleshark wrote:
I’m 5’6" and 150+ pounds.
As a cleaner alternative to chalk, I wear worker type gloves. I think they’re made of threaded wool but they have little dots of rubber on the palm side.

I did the dips there yesterday w/ bodyweight and the only thing worth mentioning was my knees rubbing up and down the door, no big deal.
I usually use 20 or 25 pounds of extra weight in a dip station at the gym.[/quote]

Go to the gym more often perhaps? No sense on injuring yourself for the “occasional” dips at home and the risk of damamging furniture. The cost alone would be enough to just go out and buy some dipping bars (station) for home.

Take three chairs one under each hand and one supporting your feet. keep your ass between the two with your hands on the pads then raise your feet to the third chiar to even it out. Go extra deep between the chairs then add weight. Also you can flip over and do push ups like this and continue to go extra deep to work everything.

Some high saw horses are a cheap alternative. Or amke your own with 10 boards and some nails. this way you can spread them out for wide dips.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Some high saw horses are a cheap alternative. Or amke your own with 10 boards and some nails. this way you can spread them out for wide dips.[/quote]

Agreed, saw horses are a great alternative, and cheap.

I have a power rack, and just span 2 2x4 studs across the racks. Percetly stable, and I’ve loaded them up with over 300 lbs (including me) just fine.

I also use the boards for board press. Plus, it gives my home gym a manly appearance, having lumber in there.