Accelerade RTD Sports Drink

For the last week, I have seen commercials on ESPN for Accelerade, a new type of sports drink. It has a 4:1 Carb:Protein ratio, and is supposed to give you increased endurance, quicker recovery and better rehydration.

Has anyone tried these products, and if so, does it really work? The product can be purchased at 7-11.

www.accelerade.com/products/Default.aspx

First off, it’s not new. It’s been out for at least several years.

More importantly, it’s not that great. The protein is WPC. I don’t recall the carb sources off the top of my head, but I’m pretty sure they are less than ideal as well.

The makers have been pushing the whole 4:1 ratio pretty hard based off one research study. This ratio may be better for endurance athletes, although I have my doubts, but I don’t think it’s they wat to go for stength and physique athletes.

It’s just sugar water with protein and some electrolytes. There’s nothing notable (good or bad) about it. Try it and use it if you like it.

Some say that RTDs have low quality protein because of the pasteurization process. Others say that it’s not as big of a deal as people have made it out to be. I don’t know for sure either way.

First 3 ingredients (Mountain Berry flavor):

1. Filtered Water (ok so far)

2. Sugar (probably not great being the second ingredient, but ok)

3. Trehalose - I didn’t even know what this was…I had never really heard of it and I tend to read lots of labels.

For those interested: Trehalose - Wikipedia

My biggest issue really is that…the protein doesn’t show up til the 4 ingredient, so while a bottle has 36g of sugar, it also only has 9g of protein.

I’d rather use Surge.