T Nation

Acai and Goji

Does anyone have any experience with these two berry juice supplements? Chad Waterbury swears by Acia 100 from Genesis Today in his new 10/10 Transformation e-book. I have heard a lot of press and really good reviews on both of these. Are they worth trying?

http://www.chadwaterbury.com/10-10-transformation.asp

http://www.genesistoday.com/genesis_today_products/acai_100.html

Definitely good berries but just kinda pricey, IMO.

Along with Carlson’s liquid fish oil, Greens+, high-quality protein and 85% cocoa dark chocolate Chad Waterbury suggests that Acai 100 should definitely be part of any nutritional plan due to them being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients and essential fatty acids. Research has also demonstrated the Acai berries can also keep away certain types of cancers.

Has anyone tried either of these? Are they really worth $37 for 32 servings? Anything Chad Waterbury recommends should be worth taking right??

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
Definitely good berries but just kinda pricey, IMO.

[/quote]

I use frozen Acai Puree, unsweetened 4 oz packets with each morning shake. Much cheaper and I even break the packets in half so I have 2 oz of the stuff each time.

Also, I use about one table spoon of fresh aloe vera gel - from the leaf, not bottled - in the shake. Good for the gut.

Why not just use pure cocoa dark chocolate, 100%? No sugar and no processing. I will be using one TBSP in my night time shake, along with half a can of pumpkin and one TBSP of peanut butter, one TBSP of macademia nut oil.

I’ve absolutely never heard of eating Aloe Vera…its good for sunburn…what are the nutritional benefits.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I’ve absolutely never heard of eating Aloe Vera…its good for sunburn…what are the nutritional benefits.[/quote]

It’s delicious. And it is also yummy.

Great for jello making.

-chris

Where do you get your Acai Puree from?

Do you notice a difference when using it?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I use frozen Acai Puree, unsweetened 4 oz packets with each morning shake. Much cheaper and I even break the packets in half so I have 2 oz of the stuff each time.

Also, I use about one table spoon of fresh aloe vera gel - from the leaf, not bottled - in the shake. Good for the gut.

Why not just use pure cocoa dark chocolate, 100%? No sugar and no processing. I will be using one TBSP in my night time shake, along with half a can of pumpkin and one TBSP of peanut butter, one TBSP of macademia nut oil.[/quote]

I buy the puree from Whole Foods. Notice a difference? Not really, but most beneficial health foods won’t really yield a noticeable improvement in anything. You just know they are good for you.

The puree comes in four rectangular, frozen packs - individually sealed, then all contained in a zip lock style bag - and has some Amazonian emblem on it.

My morning shake:

Metabolic Drive strawberry, 2 scoops
1 cup frozen, unsweetened berries
1 effervescent multi v
4 scoops Omegazyme digestive enzyme
1 Optima probiotic (take in pill form)
2 scoops acacia tree fiber
8 oz water, few ice cubes
1 serving Greens+ (yea yea, hurry up with the Biotest Superfood already!)
2-4 oz frozen acai puree
1 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel, from actual leaf

I used to use Grow! Whey but just purchased and received Metabolic Drive, which I have never tried before. This will be my standard morning shake.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I’ve absolutely never heard of eating Aloe Vera…its good for sunburn…what are the nutritional benefits.[/quote]

Amazing healing properties. Anti-ulcerative so it soothes damaged tissue.

My ex’s father is a diabetic (type 2) and anytime he feels sick he will eat about 1-2 tbsp of the gel, cut fresh, and you will see his complexion and lips change color immediately for the better.

I don’t buy the bottle gel anymore, I think they destroy too much of the nutrients and it is expensive. You’ll need to find the plant itself; my family was given one by a friend, my ex’s family ‘smuggled’ - ok, they did - a few plants from Mexico and maintain them in their garden.

Interesting note:

If you slice part of the leaf off, it will start to grow back in a few days. Really amazing to see.

what is the nutrition facts for the acai puree? How many carbs per two ounces? Does it taste good in a shake?

Has no taste, actually, or none that impacts the flavor of the shake. I’d have to suck on the frozen puree by itself to notice anything and I haven’t done that before.

I think the carbs are negligible. Something like 10 carbs tops, but I forget…will check it and report back.

Ok, Acai puree facts:

1 packet - 100g (about 3.5 oz)

80 calories
6g Fat
7 g Carbs, 1 g Fiber
2g Protein

I use half of a packet per morning shake, otherwise it would be super expensive (it kind of is already).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I use 500mg capsules with either acai or goji, freeze dried berry extract.

Cheap, convenient, and since I can’t get it in any other form (besides hideously expensive berries), practical.

physicianformulas is where I source them from usually.

Bushy[/quote]

I also use the Acai from physicianformulas. You don’t get the fat you get from the fruit. But you get all the other good stuff. I’ve never tried the goji.

i would just eat blueberries

and i also don’t get why that guy posted what he has in his “morning shake”

well blueberries are cheap here in Ireland, and to be honest i can’t see you noticing any discernible difference performance or health wise between eating blueberries and whatever that bizzare drink is. But it’s up to you at the end of the day mate!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
realalpha wrote:
Like this? is this an ok list?
http://agel.com/pdfs/exofacts.pdf

Well it looks like it has the ‘right’ ingredients from an ORAC point of view, but doesn’t say how much of each is included.

For example, they could get away with using 99% cheapest ingredient, and only a miniscule amount of the others.

Bushy[/quote]

Yeah, thats why Im trying to get a better breakdown. I tried the stuff and it was tasty but like you said…will post my findings

[quote]GetSwole wrote:

I agree I’ve never heard of this…