Abused Bulldog: Just a grumpy SOB

I forgot to mention this on my log last night. Its in regards to the High school boys that where at the Local Y . It was kind of funny after I did my set with 340 x 3 I noticed these boys looking at me with there mouth hanging open with a WTF? expression on there face. At first i wasnt sure what the deal was .Until I heard one of them say to his buddy " did you see the crazy shit" . What I found funny about it was like ive stated before on here I dont truly think of myself as strong . but in these kids eyes they where viewing me the same way that “I” would Ed Coan. I guess it just a matter of prospective. But I guess that the great thing about lifting.

It keeps you humble. I mean these boys couldnt relate to someone doing reps with over 300 . But to me its no big deal . Plus the fact that I know that there are people out there who can do the same or more.

I could probably do a triple at 340…in the deadlift.

I was talking to some fellow members of the over-45 crowd at lunch yesterday, neither of whom lift at all, and they were really impressed by the fact that I can in fact DL over 300lbs, while I know that makes me literally weaker than a Canadian woman we all know. I think it’s all a matter of perspective, but I have to say that being able to bench 350 at our age is really an accomplishment, even if there are a few stronger guys out there.

12/1/2010

A wonderful day at Local Y

Warm up : normal

waited around 15 minutes for high school student to get done with 55 lbs arm curls in power rack.

Squat: Bar x 20
95 X 10
135 X 10
190 X 5
240 X 5
295 X 3
340 X 3 …put on belt
Waited 15 minutes for fitness class to finish up some leg raises with a ball between there leg along with a few other useless exercises. Note there heads where positioned less then 5 feet from the end of the bar.
390 X 3 …groin is getting better, but on briefs to play it safe
440 X 3
475 X 0…Walked it out didnt feel right Plus cheap Y bar was whipping pretty bad.

Had to call it wife needed to go to a meeting.
On another “good note” I was able to squat even with the busted toe.
Bad news for my kids im in a bad mood about tonight training and im jacked up on lo carb Monster. I got a feeling they will be going to bed early tonight to save my sanity.

[quote]ag918w35 wrote:
I could probably do a triple at 340…in the deadlift.

I was talking to some fellow members of the over-45 crowd at lunch yesterday, neither of whom lift at all, and they were really impressed by the fact that I can in fact DL over 300lbs, while I know that makes me literally weaker than a Canadian woman we all know. I think it’s all a matter of perspective, but I have to say that being able to bench 350 at our age is really an accomplishment, even if there are a few stronger guys out there.

[/quote]

To be honest the nice thing about any type of strength training is a person can make good progress at a age when most people give up the ghost. The Prime example is the above mention Canadian women you mention above.

For sale 12 year old boy. Hes going threw puberty. hes slightly moody, bitchy and full of attitude . All in all hes being a horses ass.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
For sale 12 year old boy. Hes going threw puberty. hes slightly moody, bitchy and full of attitude . All in all hes being a horses ass. [/quote]

how about a 16 year old with a police record, currently on probation and a history of depression in trade?

on the other hand, I don’t want to go through the 13-16 year phase again, I may (just may) be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel…

My 12-year-old is still pretty sweet. Guess I should consider myself lucky.

[quote]soldog wrote:

For sale 12 year old boy. Hes going threw puberty. hes slightly moody, bitchy and full of attitude . All in all hes being a horses ass. [/quote]

how about a 16 year old with a police record, currently on probation and a history of depression in trade?

on the other hand, I don’t want to go through the 13-16 year phase again, I may (just may) be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel…[/quote]

Smart choice. I didnt want to blamed for any mental anguish you would have suffered from the hands of my oldest.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
My 12-year-old is still pretty sweet. Guess I should consider myself lucky.[/quote]

i wish i could say that. He hasnt been “sweet” for a many of moons. Nope. The more hair he develops in strange places the worst his over all demeanor has become. got to love this stage of his development.

Quick Ymca story from yesterday. all right this involves the group of high school boys I mentioned the other day. Let me explain this group of guys are the stereotypical young guys youll see in a gym. yesterday I was doing my usual warm up .At the time I was doing some band GM’s. Well the leader of this crew was about 5 feet from me at the time. This kid is around 17 id say about 5’6 and maybe 145 lbs give or take. Well a member of his crew comes up to him asking him advice on Flat db presses. His advice was to his pal was to make sure he supinate the db when he pressed them because that was the most important thing to get bigger. Well as hard as it was I kept my mouth shut.

Nice one :slight_smile:

I try to keep my mouth shut as well. I can be very hard to do so…

[quote]Schmidt wrote:
Nice one :slight_smile:

I try to keep my mouth shut as well. I can be very hard to do so…[/quote]

trust me man . I cant make crap like this up. Lets just say the entertainment value is well worth the membership dues.

12/3/2010

warm up : the usual

MPresses: bar x20
95 X 5
115 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 3
180 x 3
205 x 3
225 x1
225 x 1
225 x 1

Pulldowns : 5 x 10 x some weight

CG bench (index finger on smooth) : 225 x 6 /275 X 6 / 225 x 10

Arm curls : 3 X 10 X who gives a crap

Pulls to throat : 3 x 15 x some weight.

well as it stands , I believe " DJHT" ,“Giterdone” and myself are messing around with the newer version of 5/3/1 for powerlifting ( even if I ve been marked as a heretic by the church of Wendler) . Of course at this point we are flying blind, since the issue as it stands is in regards to the “singles”. Also I dont know how much of a role Mpress plays in the program at this point either . But this is the first time ive done them in over a month and a half.

Glad you are back in the race. And it is looking like a marathon, not a sprint.

I’ll be interested to see how the modified program works for you. Tear it up!

Actually, I believe MJ is just an archbishop. (Can they brand someone a heretic?) I’ve been skipping deloads for 7 cycles without a word from the church. I understand your outrage at the dufus in the video you posted. If it was just him, it would be laughable and maybe a bit sad. But those kids should have something better. Keep working hard, be it church approved or not.

[quote]LittleStrick wrote:
Glad you are back in the race. And it is looking like a marathon, not a sprint.

I’ll be interested to see how the modified program works for you. Tear it up![/quote]

Im sorta of kicking my own ass right now for dropping the Millies in the first place. But like I mention above , Im pretty much flying blind right now.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
Actually, I believe MJ is just an archbishop. (Can they brand someone a heretic?) I’ve been skipping deloads for 7 cycles without a word from the church. I understand your outrage at the dufus in the video you posted. If it was just him, it would be laughable and maybe a bit sad. But those kids should have something better. Keep working hard, be it church approved or not.[/quote]

Only Archbishop ?

But yeah. I would view the “dufus” as a source of humor. But since hes working with young athletes hes a source of outrage for me.

I was just wondering. Does anyone anymore do stiff-leg deads anymore ? You hear about Romanian deads and GM’s but it doesnt seem like very many do stiff legs .

I was just wondering. Does anyone anymore do stiff-leg deads anymore ? You hear about Romanian deads and GM’s but it doesnt seem like very many do stiff legs .[/quote]

I do them very light (bar only) as a dynamic stretch warm-up before deads.

12/6/10

Warm up : the normal

Deadlifts : 135 X 10
200 X 5
250 X 5
300 x 3
350 x 3
405 x 3
450 x 3
475 x 1…Just added one single …I got a feeling im going to have to video tape to view my form. Something is off.

Sumo stiff leg deads : 225 x 8 / 315 x 6 / 315 X 6

Ab wheel : 5 X 10