Abused Bulldog: Just a grumpy SOB

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
315…awesome!

In case I missed something, what pointers helped you?[/quote]

You didn’t miss anything. I had private message him for advice.

The biggest pointer he gave me was on bar placement. Before hand it was to far down on my front delts. Tonight I damn near had it resting on my collar bone. think I might have crushed my trachea . Oh well its worth it :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Ah yes, the self-imposed choke out :slight_smile: That has also helped me keep the bar over my center of gravity.[/quote]

Yeah ,thats no joke. Its damn unconfortable, but it sure does keep the bar where it needs to be.[/quote]

I’m very far from 315 but I do a clean grip tight against my throat to the point where the knurling on the bar has abraded my skin.

Very nice work.

I think it’s very impressive that you’ve nailed down what training methods work for you for each lift. It takes some of us a very long time to get to this point. I’m making progress, especially with squat and DL, but I’m not there yet.

When you list “don’ts,” are those things that you’ve found don’t afford you any gains or cause backsliding?

Impressive FS bulldog! Oh, and wishes of a speedy recovery to you boy!

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
315…awesome!

In case I missed something, what pointers helped you?[/quote]

You didn’t miss anything. I had private message him for advice.

The biggest pointer he gave me was on bar placement. Before hand it was to far down on my front delts. Tonight I damn near had it resting on my collar bone. think I might have crushed my trachea . Oh well its worth it :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Ah yes, the self-imposed choke out :slight_smile: That has also helped me keep the bar over my center of gravity.[/quote]

Yeah ,thats no joke. Its damn unconfortable, but it sure does keep the bar where it needs to be.[/quote]

I’m very far from 315 but I do a clean grip tight against my throat to the point where the knurling on the bar has abraded my skin.

Very nice work.[/quote]

That is one thing I’m no longer able to use, a" clean grip" do to shoulder mobility and wrist flexibility.

But like I’ve said ,at this point all the credit belongs to Meat.
I will say its going to be fun for me to see how much my Fronts go up in the following months.

[quote]Schmidt wrote:
Impressive FS bulldog! Oh, and wishes of a speedy recovery to you boy![/quote]

i appreciate your show of concern in regards to my oldest son. Luckily his mild fever broke yesterday. He should be 100 % by the start of next week.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I think it’s very impressive that you’ve nailed down what training methods work for you for each lift. It takes some of us a very long time to get to this point. I’m making progress, especially with squat and DL, but I’m not there yet.

When you list “don’ts,” are those things that you’ve found don’t afford you any gains or cause backsliding?[/quote]

(Long winded reply Warning)
As much as I like to accept your compliment, I cant . There is no reason that I shouldn’t have been doing this sooner. I sorta of touched on this two month ago. The fact that i had not done this , was due too a lack of confidence on my part . I more or less fell into what I like to call “fan boy” mode. Where I was following what ever system and not thinking for myself. which is fine for someone who only has a few years under there belt. But its inexcusable for me. Of course the main issue right now is to integrate what I do know into a well flowing system for myself. Which I have been slowly doing the past few weeks.

Now in regards to your questions in regarding the 'Don'ts"

Now on the bench regarding a few things I listed. I find that there really a waste of time for me. I didn’t see much in the way of gains. i know some really taught the benefits of floor presses for raw benchers and I understand the reasoning . But I didn’t see it. my FP was not that much less the my regular. i also notice the same in regards to the others things I mentioned.In there benefits toward my bench.

On squats I found that a box was a great way for me to really learn how to sit back .But I found that I become depended on it and that it didn’t carry over well for my raw squatting because of a slight difference in form. Plus the fact it prevented me from really learning to use the stretch reflex to my advantage.

Now deadlifts …Oh the deadlift…When I didn’t stick with what was working… I ended up paying the price. I mean in a very short amount of time I went from be able to doing reps with 5 to not being able to break 535 off the ground in the last meet. And as much as I wanted to blame 5/3/1 the fault was my own. Because I knew better. I knew that gave me results. But I didn’t trust in my own instincts.

That about it .

1/14/11

warm up : the normal

Bench: bar x 20
95 x 10
135 x 10
190 x 5
230 x 5
250 x 5
285 x 5
325 x 5…nice and easy

Flat db press: 100 x 10 / 115 x 8 / 125 x 7

seated cable rows : 4 x 10 x Stack …I don’t know the actual amount since the stack doesn’t go by actual weight.

Tate press : 40 x 10 / 50 x 10 / 60 x 8 /60 x 8

cybex arm curls: Did a strip set ended up doing a total of 60 reps …what ever

Wasn’t really a barn burner. just wasn’t in the zone.

I had forgotten about this music video. A guy Ive been friends with on and off for well over 20 years is in it. Back in the early 90’s he was a descent bantam weight in the NPC in this region. In his defense when this video was done it was off season for him. By the way hes the super short guy at 3:20, 4:54 and 5:05 .

Ive been lurking around again in other sections of this site.(Ill never learn).Im actually feel sorry for anybody just starting out trying to get any decent information out of the beginning section. Now don’t get me wrong there a few decent guys who contribute over there from time to time. But seriously the majority of these guys who are spewing advice are just doing nothing more the regurgitated shit from other sources. Hell my 12 year old son could sit for hours on line and do the same thing. But lets be honest would anyone really in there right mind would take advice from him? I hope not. I have a hard time seeing guys with a year or two of training wanting to give out advice as if there some guru. I guess it just the notion that most of there information is based more on word of mouth then from there actual experience. Serious how does a guy who has been lifting a little over a YEAR and weights maybe 175 lbs at 6 feet actually have the credibility to tell someone else how to get over 200 lbs plus. They don’t!! Nor do they have the right to actually critique someones else’s program.

I feel most of the people who are just getting started would be better served by just finding someone ( who has a clue) to teach them the basics. Then spend a few years doing the basics and busting there ass. Then they would be taking advice form questionable and contradictory information spewed by others. In the long run they would be better off then most of the people posting advice.

On the one hand, you being consistently dissatisfied wiht yourslef is a good thing because it means you will push yourself like a sonofabitch to always be better. But you do move a lot of heavy s##t, significantly heavier than most of us will ever manage, which makes you worthy of praise, and occasional ass-kissing.

As for internet trolls on the main site… well it’s juts like the real world. Full of a lot of hacks who don’t know all that much and will generally lead a person down the completely wrong path. The people who really want to improve will stick around and eventually find the “right” people.

Ive been lurking around again in other sections of this site.(Ill never learn).Im actually feel sorry for anybody just starting out trying… [/quote]

Totally agree! The only info these kids should be given is direction to the nearest serious gym. Oh, and a copy of Starting Strength and Only The Strong Shall Survive.

That would put a lot of Internet “know-it-all” people out of business!

1/17/2011

Warm up : foam roller
super set : Band Gm/standing ab crunches 3x10
light stretching

Squats: Bar x 20
135 x 10
200 x 5
250 x 5
300 x 3
325 x 5… added belt
375 x 5 …groin feeling pretty good
425 x 5 …played it safe on put on briefs
Called it felt like death warmed over

Well it happened one of my little virus producing hell spawns infected not only myself but my wife with a bug.We both feel great( sarcasm alert) and the boys have lost the freaking minds. They keep this up I’m going to have to go old school on them.

[quote]Canada_K wrote:
On the one hand, you being consistently dissatisfied wiht yourslef is a good thing because it means you will push yourself like a sonofabitch to always be better. But you do move a lot of heavy s##t, significantly heavier than most of us will ever manage, which makes you worthy of praise, and occasional ass-kissing.

As for internet trolls on the main site… well it’s juts like the real world. Full of a lot of hacks who don’t know all that much and will generally lead a person down the completely wrong path. The people who really want to improve will stick around and eventually find the “right” people.[/quote]

Ok , “CK” your first part of your post is getting a little deep. To be honest I do appreciate positive feed back from my fellow brother and sisters in iron. It lets me know maybe I’m traveling the right path. Ass -kissing is NOT wanted.

Now to be honest I could care less about what every some of these self appointed Internet experts want to spew about.I know few are trying to give good advice. It just bugs me that the people who do really want to improve have to swim threw a river of shit to get there.

[quote]Schmidt wrote:

Ive been lurking around again in other sections of this site.(Ill never learn).Im actually feel sorry for anybody just starting out trying… [/quote]

Totally agree! The only info these kids should be given is direction to the nearest serious gym. Oh, and a copy of Starting Strength and Only The Strong Shall Survive.

That would put a lot of Internet “know-it-all” people out of business![/quote]

My man , you have hit it right on the head.I would like add this little formula which seems to very rarely spoken by these expert.

Hard work X consistency over time = results.

Well for a change I’m in a fairly decent mood.Even if I’m fighting off this new bug. My groin isn’t feeling to bad after last night no more then any where else on my lower body. So it starting to recover nicely. Im sorta biting at the bit to get back into the the garage .I hope in maybe under 8 weeks things will warm up to the point I can start at least squat at home with my regular bar. Along with adding some SSBar into the mix along with some reverse band squats.

No lifting today. “Bug” has knocked me on my ass.

i would like to thank my children for sharing with me . (Disease ridden creatures)

Sorry you’re grumpy. Get well soon. Real soon.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Sorry you’re grumpy. Get well soon. Real soon. [/quote]

Im always grumpy as of late not being able to train makes me more so. I was hoping that loading up with NyQuil and 14 hours of sleep would of done it. But it doesn’t seem to be the case. Looks like this training week is going to end up as a write off. I hope maybe Saturday to get in some heavy pulls. Right now every joint is hurting and i feel like Ive been hit by a Mack truck.

This one is all filled up new thread below.

Bulldog, I know you’re sick, and miserable.

But I have to admit reading your (humorous) bitter complaints, along with the awesome hang-dawg pics, makes me chuckle!

Get well soon!

So these old threads now reopened? It would appear so…