Abuse Worse Than Saddam

Abuse worse than under Saddam, says Iraqi leader

? Allawi in damning indictment of new regime
? Bush prepares way for US troop pull-out

Peter Beaumont, foreign affairs editor
Sunday November 27, 2005

“Human rights abuses in Iraq are now as bad as they were under Saddam Hussein and are even in danger of eclipsing his record, according to the country’s first Prime Minister after the fall of Saddam’s regime[…]”

If that is indeed the case - does that make the “regime change” argument any weaker or not?

Any views?

Makkun

Iraq leader attacks abuse claim

Mr Talabani said Iraqis now enjoy a range of democratic rights

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani has dismissed as “nonsense” the charge that the country’s rights abuses are as bad as they were in Saddam Hussein’s era.

And here the rebuttal from the current president.

Makkun

Mr Talabani said at least three people had died after being tortured at the interior ministry during Mr Allawi’s term as prime minister, which ended in April this year.

But, he said, that did not make Mr Allawi worse than Saddam Hussein.

I don’t know how bad it really is over there, but from what I’ve read of both stories, it sounds like Allawi is bitter and that might be reflected somewhat in his comments. But he has made some good points:

“Iraq is the centrepiece of this region,” he said. “If things go wrong, neither Europe nor the United States will be safe.”

He has that much right, which is exactly why it’s so important for a real democracy to take root there, and for the Iraqis to defend themselves against the terrorists.

I’ve read several stories about the Shi’a abusing the Sunnis lately, and I imagine some of it is probably true, so I’m glad the Americans are there to intervene as they did recently when they uncovered that one prison where captives were being tortured.

It looks like Iraq has a long way to go before qualifying as a stable democracy - hopefully the various factions will not destroy each other before that happens…