Abu Ghraib Update

[quote]hedo wrote:
100meters wrote:
hedo wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
vroom wrote:
The “torture” was the level of frat boy hazing.

I’ll respond to this. Bullshit. Sure, a lot of the officially described and allowed activity is of this nature.

Unfortunately, the fact that some of the prisoners don’t actually survive their hazing might indicate there is sometimes more to it.

Now, honestly, it is one thing to simply not care. I know some of you really don’t give a damn what type of treatment these people receive.

However, if you do actually have a shred of human decency you’ll realize that people in these prisons do not go through any type of process to determine innocence or guilt.

Savaging them, or letting them be savaged, because we can and it soothes our wounded pride gives the measure of America. Oops.

The “torture” was far below the levels under Saddam or any totalitarian regime.

It is below the levels frequently seen in prisons in America and across the world (including Canada).

This does not make it right, but it is the real world. Grow up.

This is politics pure and simple. If you are “against the war”, fine but it is too late, we are in it, let’s win it.

Zap

I agree with your position. This type of hazing is more about control then anything else. The guards are supposed to have control. Much worse happens in any prison for civilians.

As for these type of abuses not being acceptable in wartime. Please spare me. The troops see far more death, maiming and destruction after any firefight.

As anyone who has served in the military or a large organization can plainly see, it is highly improbable that anyone in authority knew what was going on. They would have stopped it so as not to be culpable and because it is wrong. If any senior officer should be held accountable, it stops at Karpinski for allowing it to happen in her command.

Hedo, Zap,

are you being totally honest, or are you being apologists? Surely, you should be able to see that the public perception of a christian nation sexually demoralizing muslims has a different reaction than a arabic leader torturing arabs? This only goes to show a lack of cultural respect, that is obviously counter-productive to our goals in Iraq and the middle-east. Also if the president tells the arab world that Iraqi POWs are protected by Geneva, and then we are torturing or “hazing” as you say, you should be able to see how that would also be counter-productive to our goals of building trust and credibility in the arab world (again its been pointed out time and time again that U.S. policy is the prime reason for terrorist attacks against us). It would seem to me that regardless of what side of the war you were on, we do have to win the war (on terror) and I would think you’d be going through leaps and bounds to make sure nothing questionable happened to POWs, especially considering the power of arabic media- you can only imagine how al-jaazera portrayed abu-ghraib, and how many young muslims have been inspired to hate us. Don’t you think part of the strategy of winning the war would be creating fewer people to fight a war against?

100-

I will agree that we should try and create less enemies to fight. I also think it would be better for all concerned if it didn’t happen. I just don’t think the top administration officials had anything to do with it. I don’t even think the general in charge knew about…although she should have.

Abu Gharib is a very minor incident in the scope of this war. It was siezed on by the media for a political reason rather then for any alutisitc feelings towards the Iraqi’s.

I am not apologizing for what happened. I don’t see it as being all that meaningful. If we got any information that saved an American life then it was worth it. That’s a personal opinion and I am sure I have a different set of morals then others.

I don’t think the Muslims in the Middle East will ever love the US. Not in this century. They will one day respect us and if necessary fear us. If that’s what it takes to live together so be it. I think we are all better of with the US being a superpower as opposed to Iran etc…

[/quote]

I understand your POV. I would disagree that top admin officials had nothing to do with it, in fact, there is no doubt that at the very least they added to the confusion as to what was appropriate, that is spelled out rather clearly in the Schlesinger report. Also the fact that this treatment is not acceptable according to the admin leads one to believe that little information was gathered from the techniques used, what I mean to say is that, we’re probably gathering intel now and we’re not using the “unacceptable” techniques. So I would conclude it probably wasn’t worth it.(It would be nearly impossible to calculate, but figuring lives saved from said techniques, to lives lost for revenge of said techniques over time probably wouldn’t be in our favor.) Even if we agree on shit happens during war, I think how you handle the shit that happens plays a great part in winning wars. Like it or not P.R. is a huge part of this war, and I don’t think we won it on this “battle”. (This is not to say we aren’t winning other P.R. battles—certainly we are.) I meant to give an example earlier—after black hawk down incident—the sight of what the locals did to u.s. soldiers sickened and enraged all of us, everyone thought those responsible were sick bastards, and alot of us probably would have liked to have “gotten them back”. Now add that to all the events at abu ghraib and continue applying them to u.s. citizens—I would imagine there would be hell to pay, and most of us wouldn’t forget for a long, long time. Now take what you know of al jazerra t.v. and combine it with the mindset of the arab world…Regardless of the “meaningfulness” of the incidents, boy would that be poured into arabian t.v.s from here to eternity.

You guys are amazing, don’t you read anything or do you believe anything that bolsters your case? Who the hell said no worse then torture in U.S. prisons! Two good friends of mine work for the Colo. Dept. of Corrections both captain rank. One thing I always hear them say are that the prisoners have more rights then the staff. That any thing they do has to be by the book for fear of a a lawsuit by the prisoners. So, the prisoners here in the US are treated a damn sight better I would say.

Two, many of the young men in the military prisons in Iraq were arrested in big sweeps for the insurgents and after being held for weeks or months were released due to the fact that there was no evidence to detain them further.

Now do you think that if young Abdul might have thought “I’ll give the Americans a chance here in my country” he still is going to feel that way? Or, the he might now be thinking “Fuck these American assholes, I think I will help Achmed plant some roadside bombs” after being dehumanized for a few months. Just plain fucking stupid if you’re trying to win hearts and minds!

Third, I don’t think Bush or Rummy or any of the other leaders of the administration sent down any specific orders for torture. I think it was more a vibe or feeling that they allowed to filter down the chain of command that anything goes. There is no smoking gun evidence of this that is going to be found.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
You guys are amazing, don’t you read anything or do you believe anything that bolsters your case? Who the hell said no worse then torture in U.S. prisons! Two good friends of mine work for the Colo. Dept. of Corrections both captain rank. One thing I always hear them say are that the prisoners have more rights then the staff. That any thing they do has to be by the book for fear of a a lawsuit by the prisoners. So, the prisoners here in the US are treated a damn sight better I would say.

Especially the guy that got a broomstick up the ass in NYC! I never said this is common practice in US prisons, however some nasty shit does happen in US prisons as well as prisons around the world. To blame the president is bullshit politics.

Two, many of the young men in the military prisons in Iraq were arrested in big sweeps for the insurgents and after being held for weeks or months were released due to the fact that there was no evidence to detain them further.

Now do you think that if young Abdul might have thought “I’ll give the Americans a chance here in my country” he still is going to feel that way? Or, the he might now be thinking “Fuck these American assholes, I think I will help Achmed plant some roadside bombs” after being dehumanized for a few months. Just plain fucking stupid if you’re trying to win hearts and minds!

The fact they didn’t cooperate makes them guilty. They are with us or against us. They didn’t share info on the terrorists, they are against us. This is a war, get used to it. If Saddam was in charge they would have ended up in a mass grave instead of eventually being released.

Third, I don’t think Bush or Rummy or any of the other leaders of the administration sent down any specific orders for torture. I think it was more a vibe or feeling that they allowed to filter down the chain of command that anything goes. There is no smoking gun evidence of this that is going to be found.

I agree. There was a message sent that said take the kid gloves off. This does not make Bush and Rummy culpable in any way. Ted Kennedy is just trying to score political points. He makes me sick.

I do not condone the actions in Abu Ghraib. What was done was wrong. I also do not condone Ted Kennedy opening his big fat mouth and trying to make a mountain out of this molehill.

[/quote]

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
You guys are amazing, don’t you read anything or do you believe anything that bolsters your case?[/quote]

I can answer for them: No and yes, respectively. That’s what makes this place so…magical.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
I don’t think Bush or Rummy or any of the other leaders of the administration sent down any specific orders for torture. I think it was more a vibe or feeling that they allowed to filter down the chain of command that anything goes. There is no smoking gun evidence of this that is going to be found. [/quote]

Actually, it’s already been found. You can call it “smoking gun” or not, but the evidence is there. I invite you to be the first person on this thread to reply [or even to read] the links that I posted. Okay, time for some fun:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The “torture” was far below the levels under Saddam or any totalitarian regime.[/quote]

I’m guessing you recieved this information from extremely reliable sources - quite possibly the very same sources that were proven so reliable about allegations of WMDs and Iraqi terrorist training camps. Am I right?

It is below the levels frequently seen in prisons in America and across the world (including Canada).

This does not make it right, but it is the real world. Grow up.[/quote]

Actually it’s not the real world, it’s the U.S. world, because none of this would have happened if America hadn’t intervened in Iraq. That’s the central issue here, rather than the bullshit justifications you’re trying to make. “It’s not that bad because so-and-so happens all the time in Colorado State Pen…” Iraqi’s don’t give a shit what happens in Colorado. Neither would you in their place. You’re the one who is badly in need of growing up.

This is politics pure and simple. If you are “against the war”, fine but it is too late, we are in it, let’s win it.[/quote]

What war? Against who? And for what reason? Answer those, and then you can proceed to explain how “we” are going to be winning anything. “We” lost by going into Iraq. Get it? Didn’t think so.

[quote]hedo wrote:
As anyone who has served in the military or a large organization can plainly see, it is highly improbable that anyone in authority knew what was going on. They would have stopped it so as not to be culpable and because it is wrong. If any senior officer should be held accountable, it stops at Karpinski for allowing it to happen in her command.[/quote]

Wrong, though I’m sure it helps you sleep at night.

[quote]Justin Raimondo wrote:
Citing CIA and other high-level officials, Hersh detailed the “special access program” that eventually led to the Abu Ghraib horror show. In pursuing the “war on terrorism,” Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, and Stephen A. Cambone, his undersecretary of intelligence, created what amounted to a secret army whose task, as one insider put it, is to “Grab whom you must. Do what you want.”[/quote]

[quote]rainjack wrote:
We’re supposed to be held to a ‘higher standard’ because We are supposed to be an example.[/quote]

As I recall, that “higher standard” was the very basis used for perpetrating this war by its orchestrators (overlooking more than a few ficticious claims about mobile weapons factories and terrorist training camps). So maybe you should start railing against the Head Thieves in charge of this thing who keep telling us that we’re making the world a safer place and bringing democracy to Iraq (both utterly false claims, by the way).

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’m sorry - but our example should be “fuck with us and we’ll kill your mother and your sister and anyone else you know or love.”[/quote]

That’s not too far off from what the real example has actually been. Only, it went more like, “We’ll kill you, your family, and anyone else you know or love simply because we can.”

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I could give a shit what the America hating peaceniks have to say on this issue. They have chosen their side, and regardless of the verbage, or the veiled attempts at being objective - It’s way past time for these pussies to sit down and shut up.[/quote]

Why should the peaceniks sit down and shutup when there is no peace, and America is still firmly embroiled in the Iraqi quagmire? Maybe it’s time for the right-wing supporters of this war to sit down and shut up, and let somebody else do the talking.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Just like Zap said - we are in this thing, like it or not. I say we kick their asses with impunity, take their damn oil, and piss on them when we are done.[/quote]

Nice fantasy. It’s shared by many of the neocon “intellectuals” who were responsible for selling this war to the administration. Islamo-fascists, if you will. Too bad that it’s as out-of-touch with reality as one could possibly get. The insurgency is kicking America’s collective ass in Iraq, and the economy is going to shit thanks to the war. It wasn’t about oil, after all, it was about power - all wars are.

[quote]If Saddam was in charge they would have ended up in a mass grave instead of eventually being released.
[/quote]

Well, there you go then, that makes everything all better doesn’t it?

[quote]Al Shades wrote:
Time for a real article about Abu Ghraib:

The facts…enjoy.[/quote]

Facts? What facts? It was a poorly written opinion piece.

The US is interrogating terrorists? It is “assasinating” terrorist leaders?

Heaven forbid!

Zap, your ignorance on this matter is overwhelming. “If they didn’t say where the terrorists are they are guilty,”. Can you for one split godammned second imagine what it is like for your average Iraqi who if he’s seen to be helping the Americans could very well get his head chopped off.

Or then he may be rounded up off the street by the Americans one lovely day and endure months of torture or be beaten to death! Even if he didn’t offer one bit of fucking help to insurgents!

It’s a little more complicated then your view of He’s a good guy and that ones a bad guy. Many people who just want to survive day to day are caught in the middle.

Yes, because everybody they round up, as was mentioned earlier, must surely be a terrorist.

That is why they are released and set free later. They’ve been cured by a good ass whupping!

Facts? What facts? It was a poorly written opinion piece.[/quote]

Justin Raimondo is one of most skilled internet columnists I’ve seen. I don’t see you refuting anything mentioned in either article. It’s hardly an “opinion piece” because he cites link-after-link of news reports to back up all of his major assertions. This is the way that real arguments are conducted. Extremely foreign to you and your comrades-in-arms on this board, I know - which goes a long way in explaining your apparent hesitation to so much as go near the articles. To paraphrase a line that has been used against me so often and so poorly on this board: This ain’t Kansas anymore, Chief. There’s real men at work here, with real arguments and real evidence to back them up, not partisan rhetoric and denials. If you can’t handle it, just scamper along and play with the other kids.

Al - Shut up and go back to gym class. You are a self worshiping idiot, and everytime you open your fake-ass pseudo Ayn Rand mouth, you generate far more laughter than you do thought.

I’m sure if the dearly departed Ms. Rand could see you now - she’d shoot you with her own gun.

As for the Abu Ghraib situation for those adults who actually contribute to society- there is a clear difference of opinion. Those that are totally wrong and should be beaten with wet noodles - and those who agree with me.

Sorry Little Al, you must weigh at least 180, and eat a whole fucking banana, to participate in a debate about war.

Just to claify. The Iraqi Govt. advocates a far more hard line position to dealing with insurgents then the US.

US forces have had to reign them in on several occasions, escpecially after a policeman or recruit is killed.

The reaction the the “scandal” is largely a media created event. Anyone who served time is Sadaam’s prison system could certainly tell you as much. I don’t think the media broadcast that opinion.

Long time no type, huh fellas? It’s good to be back and see yall are still up to your old tricks. Just wanted to drop a line and say hey. I’ll be back later to reply to this topic. RLTW

rangertab75

Wow, I’ve often wondered what happened to you and if you were alright! Glad to see back and presumabely in good health.

[quote]vroom wrote:
There must be something sinister going on, after all this is a republican administration!

There couldn’t be anything untoward going on, after all this is a republican administration![/quote]

LOL, you missed my point my fine liberal Canadian friend!

One more comment: Did anyone notice that Al shades and Vroom are on the same side on this issue? :slight_smile:

Zeb, perhaps you missed mine?

Zeb, unless you are an illiterate moron, you would immediately see that my comments have been based on concepts and issues.

I honestly resent your continous bullshit, implications and smear tactics.

I’ve raised some questions that are, in my estimation, worthy of consideration. I’ve been arguing for good debate on the real issues. I’ve even acknowledged that others have different opinions non-judgementally.

Try addressing issues sometime.

Oh jeez, Zeb, don’t go down that road where you sophomorically and moronically try to slander Vroom by connecting him to Al Shades! Please don’t waste our time like that…Please!

Why do you two attempt to continue these “debates” and reason with the majority when the response is the same every time? I haven’t seen a single thread on this forum in which the resident ignoramuses showed any signs of even momentarily putting aside their usual, braindead tactics. If one exists, I’d be glad to have it pointed out to me. At present, I find this situation analogous to the futile exercise of trying to hold a rational argument with school children, or teenagers, for that matter. My question is why do you even bother? Unlike me, you don’t seem to be getting much entertainment out of it. Every political thread I’ve come across has been the same; a massive trainwreck of ignorance and delusion with no rational debate in sight, only a bunch of mindless ideologues spewing their rhetoric followed by futile attempts from the small thinking population to coerce the resident zombies into addressing the opposing points of view - never successful, I might add.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Al - Shut up and go back to gym class. You are a self worshiping idiot, and everytime you open your fake-ass pseudo Ayn Rand mouth, you generate far more laughter than you do thought.[/quote]

First it was my dear “idol” Browne that I was trying to imitate, now Rand, eh? How charming. Moreover, I’d love to hear the explanation for how I can worship myself while trying to imitate someone else. That’s an interesting contradictory assertion. Hey, speaking about self worship, my view is this: It’s better to worship yourself than to worship an idiot, or a group of idiots. That’s why, unlike you, I don’t worship George W. Bush, the Republican Party, the United States, God, Jesus, or any other nameless-and-brainless entity that has been devised as a tool to control the masses.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’m sure if the dearly departed Ms. Rand could see you now - she’d shoot you with her own gun.[/quote]

Thank you for that utterly worthless opinion. Got any more for us? I’ll bet you do…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
As for the Abu Ghraib situation for those adults who actually contribute to society- there is a clear difference of opinion. Those that are totally wrong and should be beaten with wet noodles - and those who agree with me.[/quote]

But you are mistaken, for you haven’t advanced an actual stance for anyone else to agree or disagree with, and if others are “totally wrong,” you certainly haven’t explained how. Is this how you were taught to present your views? Were you born with a crippled mind, or is it an acquired trait? I’d be quite interested in finding out.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Sorry Little Al, you must weigh at least 180, and eat a whole fucking banana, to participate in a debate about war.[/quote]

Oh yeah? What’s the rationale behind that? What if I told you that I just smoked a whole bunch of bananas, and I actually weigh 230? Colud you prove otherwise? Is it the least bit relevant to this topic? If so, how?